Votes: 81 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Too soon, will need more time

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I don't see Newhook or Roy as top 6 forwards on a strong team. Very good 3rd liners, however.
Newhook is working well in PP1, but otherwise it is not a great season for him. Playing center does not help as I see him more as a winger and should start developing his game there. Unfortunately, we lack centers. Newhook-Dach-Roy would be a solid 2nd line for next season. Speed - Size - Smart sounds like a great combo.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Slaf will be.. it's imperative we draft Lidstrom/Celibrini as we desperately need a 1C. Once we have that, our top 6 will be incredibly good.. everything else will fall into place. Suzuki+CC are a cup winning 2nd line.
I do think Slaf is gonna be a good 1st line player

But can he be a top 10 winger that can carry a line ? I’m not sure

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

In 3yrs. When he is 22 (barring injury) will be league top 5 LW.

Take a look at Lindstrom speed.. the guy is a 6'4" freak of nature who looks as nimble and strong as a 6'0 speedster.. ive never seen this combo on a kid this big.. creative and a shot.. skates woth his head up. Always.

Quite frankly, his highlight reels look better than Celibrini's.. but i admit ive not seen him live.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
In 3yrs. When he is 22 (barring injury) will be league top 5 LW.

Take a look at Lindstrom speed.. the guy is a 6'4" freak of nature who looks as nimble and strong as a 6'0 speedster.. ive never seen this combo on a kid this big.. creative and a shot.. skates woth his head up. Always.

Quite frankly, his highlight reels look better than Celibrini's.. but i admit ive not seen him live.
I wouldn’t bet on that personally

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Suzuki is 5'11" 200+lbs. Built like a tank. Unless you are suggesting Catton can bulk up like that, he's not the answer to our 1C 30year drought
Dach is 1 more injury away from hanging up the skates, has nothing to do with his size - but rather his inability to properly protect himself. Hope he's learning what is required to have himself positioned for contact low to the ground from all angles.. he doesn't bend his knees to brace for impact.
But that's my point, I don't think size really has any meaningful impact on likelihood of injury.

If you look at the all time longest ironman streaks for example, most guys are 5'10" or 5'11".

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
But that's my point, I don't think size really has any meaningful impact on likelihood of injury.

If you look at the all time longest ironman streaks for example, most guys are 5'10" or 5'11".
I understand what u r saying, but a team needs to dish it out too, not just play to protect.. CC is not adding any jam to the line, just a scoring threat.. the most effective top lines in the league bring scoring AND punishment.. you get a line of: Slaf-lindstrom-Dach (lindstrom is a C/W like Dach) or CC-Suzuki-Demidov for example.. the same issue arises as Toronto... it doesnt work come playoffs.. never has, never will.

Lets connect the dots:
Recchi-petrov-koivu-gomez-cammaleri-gionta-desharnais-cc ..

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Wingers rarely carry a line. You probably have enough fingers to count to amount of wingers who could carry a line in the last 30 years. Bure, Ovechkin, Pasternak, Jagr, maybe Panarin, Kucherov, Kane, Selanne, maybe Iginla. Slaf gonna be like LeClair minus fight. He'll be a great complement to a skilled center. He'll create lot of space for his center and will be able to do well with skilled smaller 5'10-11 centers. The kind of player Slaf could become you have one every 10-15 years maybe at best. That kind of combination of size and skills and vision is very rare. He's a unicorn. There was risk in drafting him but the reward could be quite high.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I understand what u r saying, but a team needs to dish it out too, not just play to protect.. CC is not adding any jam to the line, just a scoring threat.. the most effective top lines in the league bring scoring AND punishment.. you get a line of: Slaf-lindstrom-Dach (lindstrom is a C/W like Dach) or CC-Suzuki-Demidov for example.. the same issue arises as Toronto... it doesnt work come playoffs.. never has, never will.

Lets connect the dots:
Recchi-petrov-koivu-gomez-cammaleri-gionta-desharnais-cc ..
On the other hand you could look at Tampa's top 6 during their playoff runs. Point, Kucherov, Stamkos aren't exactly monsters of size.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Roy-Dach-Demidov

That's a perfectly good top 6 for the playoffs. Mix of size and skill in both lines.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
On the other hand you could look at Tampa's top 6 during their playoff runs. Point, Kucherov, Stamkos aren't exactly monsters of size.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Roy-Dach-Demidov

That's a perfectly good top 6 for the playoffs. Mix of size and skill in both lines.
They are very skilled though. Skilled players instigate fear in other players who will be hesitant in attacking and challenging them. Kucherov and Stamkos will both be a first ballot HOF. Point is very good too. I like Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf but i don't think you are looking at the same amount of skills. They'll need more help.

Reactions: Vachon23

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
They are very skilled though. Skilled players instigate fear in other players who will be hesitant in attacking and challenging them. Kucherov and Stamkos will both be a first ballot HOF. Point is very good too. I like Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf but i don't think you are looking at the same amount of skills. They'll need more help.
That's where I think Demidov comes in, as likely the highest offensive ceiling of anyone in our forward group. I don't see Lindstrom having the game to make up the gap between the two of them offensively.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's where I think Demidov comes in, as likely the highest offensive ceiling of anyone in our forward group. I don't see Lindstrom having the game to make up the gap between the two of them offensively.
Lindstrom bring something else though. There's many ways to win a cup. Lot of skills or a combination or skills/size/toughness. Dach, Slaf and Lindstrom would be extremely hard to play against specially with guys like Mailloux and Guhle in the backend. There would be lot of potential there imo.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Lindstrom bring something else though. There's many ways to win a cup. Lot of skills or a combination or skills/size/toughness. Dach, Slaf and Lindstrom would be extremely hard to play against specially with guys like Mailloux and Guhle in the backend. There would be lot of potential there imo.
I agree, and I certainly wouldn't be upset with a Lindstrom pick. I just think Demidov gives us a little better of a top 6 than he would. Either way it's a huge improvement.

Reactions: LaP

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Wingers rarely carry a line. You probably have enough fingers to count to amount of wingers who could carry a line in the last 30 years. Bure, Ovechkin, Pasternak, Jagr, maybe Panarin, Kucherov, Kane, Selanne, maybe Iginla. Slaf gonna be like LeClair minus fight. He'll be a great complement to a skilled center. He'll create lot of space for his center and will be able to do well with skilled smaller 5'10-11 centers. The kind of player Slaf could become you have one every 10-15 years maybe at best. That kind of combination of size and skills and vision is very rare. He's a unicorn. There was risk in drafting him but the reward could be quite high.
agree but at the end of the day, who is the premium player that can carry that line against opposite best defending players ?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Built like fire hydrants with a low center of gravity and great balance.
Crosby and Marchand for example. Both players have played over 1000 games.
Sidney was mostly head shots and Brad has just been super consistent.
You can't play at their level for as long as they have if you've spent too much time rehabbing shoulders wrists ankles and knees.

Reactions: cphabs

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Built like fire hydrants with a low center of gravity and great balance.
Crosby and Marchand for example. Both players have played over 1000 games.
Sidney was mostly head shots and Brad has just been super consistent.
You can't play at their level for as long as they have if you've spent too much time rehabbing shoulders wrists ankles and knees.
He's not gonna be this size his whole life though. And Cogliano only played at 180, it's not like he was a certified tuna can like Suzuki or Crosby. I think style of play is more important, and I haven't seen him put himself in danger very often.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's not gonna be this size his whole life though. And Cogliano only played at 180, it's not like he was a certified tuna can like Suzuki or Crosby. I think style of play is more important, and I haven't seen him put himself in danger very often.
Very true the elite know how to stay healthy. One guy who always amazed me was Doug Gilmour. Talk about a player who could slip checks

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Too soon to tell, but at least the Habs are at the point of the rebuild that you can envision a number of guys playing important roles on a contender.

Caufield, Suzuki and Slaf all look like they can be top-6 caliber guys on a contender. Caufield's scoring is down, but he's still shooting a ton and he's been a better playmaker and better defensively. Suzuki is back to playing great two way hockey and his hockey IQ is shining through. Slaf's growth has been impressive and the fact that he's shown the growth he has gives one optimism that he can continue to refine his game, because if he does then he'll be a premier big body winger in the NHL. I'm not as high on Guhle as some here, but I think he'll be a good 2/3D in the NHL.

There's guys behind them to fill spots as well. Dach is frustrating because of the injury and how he may return from it, but he was flashing high end growth in the preseason and game 1. Newhook is more of a work in progress, but with better linemates (like, say, Dach), he looks like he can be a strong middle 6 winger. I really like what I've seen from Roy in his short time up in the NHL, I think he'll be a really good middle six winger too. Xhekaj, Struble, Barron and Harris have all shown flashes and all are really young too.

Montreal needs at least one more top line caliber forward and need a true #1D. But Montreal has good picks, good prospects and will soon have cap space to work with so they can draft, develop and/or trade for those guys. This isn't in years past when the best Montreal could offer was Ryder, Halak and a 2nd. Montreal has legitimately good trade pieces if they want to go big game hunting and cap space to work with starting this offseason (and even more the next).

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Regular season,sure,playoffs? skeptical. Tune in later boys and girls if Montreal will ever get to the playoffs in the first place the way they are going.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Jul 6, 2016
Regular season,sure,playoffs? skeptical. Tune in later boys and girls if Montreal will ever get to the playoffs in the first place the way they are going.
They need a defensive system... not just "concepts".

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well Caufield and Suzuki have already shown that they can step it up in the playoffs. I don't remember watching/noticing Dach in the playoffs for Chicago but 6 points in 9 games as a rookie certainly seems promising.

I'm not at all concerned about our forwards come playoff time. I feel the bigger question marks would be our D and G in the playoffs.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Roy-Dach-Demidov

Roy,CC,demidov are soft players.. how can you be satisfied with half the top 6 playing soft? Roy is not going to be a top 6 if he cant bring something more unuque to the lineup.. we have loads of these prototypical decent 3rd liners in our prospect pool.
Top 6 have to be special.
Each with a uniqueness that keeps the opponent guessing..
Suzuki: creative, solid, leadership
Slaf: unicorn
CC: sniper
Dach: size, creative. But i dont trust he can stay healthy.
Demidov: whats unique? We already have CC. Id be happy to swap them.. but not both.
Roy: ?

Right now our D prospect pool is as strong as ive ever seen it. Legit top4 Ds who will be 3rd pairs. Pick the best 4, trade when ready to attain another unique top 6. We need a 1C, a Lindstrom would be worth a Hutson + our pick to move up 3 spots. I dont see us finishing any lower than 5-7.. if Lindstrom is taken, and Hugo does not go after him, then the clear best pick is one of the top 3 Dmen.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think between CC, Suzuki, Dach and Slaf we probably have our 1st line it is good but probably not elite, it is the middle six that will need to be above avg that we will need to figure out.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I think between CC, Suzuki, Dach and Slaf we probably have our 1st line it is good but probably not elite, it is the middle six that will need to be above avg that we will need to figure out.
Newhook is acceptable on the 2nd line as long as he has two elite players with him. Dach is one. I'm hoping the Habs get the other in the draft this year. As for the third line, Habs have players like Roy, Beck, etc that look as though they'll be good NHL regulars. Add in maybe 1 FA signing to fill in a veteran presence. I don't think we really need to go over the future of the fourth line lol. The defence is solidified. They're hoping Jacob Fowler is their future no. 1 G.

And I'm not even counting the annual Hughes RFA/young player trade. Maybe he obtains a legit top 6 F with a bountiful package.

Also caufield-suzuki-slaf have been the hottest line in hockey pretty much the entire calender year. They have the makings of a competitive first line that you could win a cup with if the rest of the team is set imo

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Well Caufield and Suzuki have already shown that they can step it up in the playoffs. I don't remember watching/noticing Dach in the playoffs for Chicago but 6 points in 9 games as a rookie certainly seems promising.

I'm not at all concerned about our forwards come playoff time. I feel the bigger question marks would be our D and G in the playoffs.
Suzuki has done alright in the playoffs. 32 games with 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points. Decent but not fantastic.
Caufield has only played 20 games and has 4 goals and 8 assists for 12 points,nothing to get excited about.

The forward group now will not be the same when and if they make the playoffs and the D will be that much more experienced and improved, crossing my fingers as I type,well not really. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad