• No

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Too soon, will need more time

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
It's a legit first line and to complete the top 6 we have Dach, Newhook, Roy and possibly our 1st this year. I guess 2 of them will end up being 2nd line material, so we'd have 2 summers to trade or sign the missing piece. We already have good prospects in goaltending, and one of the best prospects pool in D. HuGo rebuilt is starting to look good.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They have the potential to be the best 1st line we had in the 2000’s but they are not at the same level then the best 1st line in the NHL. They are all very good but no one

This got me thinking. What is the best Habs line of the 2000s (on paper). I'm guessing it was tanguay-koivu-kovalev although I don't think it lasted too long, unfortunately.

Reactions: Milhouse40

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
It's a legit first line and to complete the top 6 we have Dach, Newhook, Roy and possibly our 1st this year. I guess 2 of them will end up being 2nd line material, so we'd have 2 summers to trade or sign the missing piece. We already have good prospects in goaltending, and one of the best prospects pool in D. HuGo rebuilt is starting to look good.

I don't see Newhook or Roy as top 6 forwards on a strong team. Very good 3rd liners, however.

Reactions: Yep

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's safe to say given what we have to work with right now we do have our first line.
As a Habs fan I can only hope it isn't written in stone.
A lot of Dach fans think he's going to displace Suzuki which I doubt for the next couple of season at least; if ever.
I like the idea of duo's and a lot of coaches work that philosophy.
Slaf/Suzuki and Caufield/Dach can be a very solid foundation but ideally we still need two high end bangers who can do it all well.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I think Roy has the potential to be a great top six player. Newhook is borderline but has shown some ability there.
If you could combine Newhook’s skating and Roy’s hockey sense and hands, you’d have a top a very good top 6 forward. But you can’t, unfortunately. We’ll see.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you could combine Newhook’s skating and Roy’s hockey sense and hands, you’d have a top a very good top 6 forward. But you can’t, unfortunately. We’ll see.
Roy isn’t the best skater but he’s really smart and has great hands. I think he’s going to be a solid scorer.

Yes we have to wait and see but if he’s put with Dach or Suzuki I think he’ll do very well.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I agree. Ultimately, i want Newhook to lead the 3rd line. Beck and Roy could make a great 3rd line with him in the future.
That’s my thought too. Top 6 F should eventually be rounded out with Dach, the forward we hopefully draft in June with our higher first round pick, and a UFA or high end forward acquired via trade, and yes, I realize that’s a packed wish-list.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
They have the potential to be the best 1st line we had in the 2000’s but they are not at the same level then the best 1st line in the NHL. They are all very good but no one is elite
I think Caufield will be an elite goal scorer (if you consider 40 goals being elite). Just turned 23.

Slaf definately has the potential to be an elite player imo.

Suzuki will be what he is right now. Entering his prime. So no elite but certainly able to compliment two elite guys.

Then i would 6thoa + Hutson for Lidstrom. It's a gamble that must be taken to fill a desperate need.
Nah.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Caufield will be an elite goal scorer (if you consider 40 goals being elite). Just turned 23.

Suzuki will be what he is right now. Entering his prime. So no elite but certainly able to compliment two elite guys.

Nah.
Suzuki and Dach to me are similar in that they aren’t elite themselves however they play a good two way game and together would be good enough up the middle if surrounded with strong wingers.

I will reiterate that I think Roy on the third is a waste. I want him to get every chance to get into the top six. If he doesn’t make it - no worries. But I hope he gets every chance. I think he’s going to be a solid top six player.

Last edited:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
With the emergence of Slaf, having Hutson, Reinbacher, and maybe mailloux eventually coming up, Fowler looking like a stud and a brodeur-esque team friendly type of goalie, a probable annual Hughes trade for another young player, along with the top pick this year, (also include players like Beck, Roy, etc who can be good third line contributers) what else do the Habs need in their rebuild?

Are you fine with this being the last tank?

Is development pretty much the only thing left to achieve?

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
I'd development pretty much the only thing left to achieve?
Get rid of Anderson (trade asap) and Gallagher (buyout June 2025). Allen (release), Armia (release), Pearson (release), Dvorak (release) and Savard (trade next year) to gain more cap space for 2025-2026 (it's around 28.7 millions, including the cost of buyout for Gallagher).

4.1 millions average for those players, only Savard deserves such wages.

Only have to resign Xhekaj, Barron and Ylonen this summer, Guhle/Slaf/Evans/Primeau/RHP for 2025-2026. Also, this year the last season for retention on Edmundson and last season for Alzner's buyout. We'll only have Petry left on the payroll and it ends next year.

Very happy to see those bad contracts finally ending soon.

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
With the emergence of Slaf, having Hutson, Reinbacher, and maybe mailloux eventually coming up, Fowler looking like a stud and a brodeur-esque team friendly type of goalie, a probable annual Hughes trade for another young player, along with the top pick this year, (also include players like Beck, Roy, etc who can be good third line contributes) what else do the Habs need in their rebuild?

Are you fine with this being the last tank?

I'd development pretty much the only thing left to achieve?
It's probably the last time they'll have a chance to draft in top 10 for a while. Just having a Dach back next year pretty much assures that. The problem is that they don't have a true superstar F or D in the whole group so winning a Cup with that core is unlikely.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Nope. If all goes well:;
Dach returns healthy and (relatively) durable,
2024 draft pick will be a legitimate top 6 forward,
Hughes will trade picks and/or D for a top 6 forward.

Mix and match between the 6 players would give us two very solid top lines.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Since Januray 11th
Last 15 games

Suzuki has 19pts in 15 games = 6th in the NHL for center tied with Elias Pettersen
Caufield has 18pts in 15 games = 3rd in the NHL for RW, only behind Pastrnak and Kucherov
Slafkovsky has 15pts in 15 games = 6th line the NHL for LW tied with B. Tkachuk

Considering that:
1- Slafkovsky has a tons more room to grow and will keep improving for the next couple of years
2- Addition of skills like Dach on the 2nd line will free up a that line and give another option
3- The addition of offensive minded D in a near future like Hutson or Mailloux will help everyone offensively.

Those factors should improve their offensive production or at the very least sustain it.
But right now, despites everything this line-up is missing which is a lot, they are putting 1st line offensive production.

It's a small sample size but it might just prove one thing I always believed in:
Skill need to play with skill in order to produce at top level.

Because of injuries, because of lack of skill, it's not something we saw in the last 2 years.

We saw a little Dach - Suzuki - Caufield together last year and this line this year;
Both resulted in the same 1st line level offensive production.

Do we finally have our 1st line ?
Is it just a long flash that will die down ?
Do we need a little more time or a lot more time ?
Easy answer: too soon.

But it's looking really good.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Slaf likely develops into a legit high end winger, not sold on Caufield yet and Suzuki is a low end 1C

So I guess it depends on how good we want the first line to be really

Reactions: cphabs

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
5'11 is generous, so he's way undersized to be a 1C. Problem is we have Suzuki also at 5'11. Cant have 2 x C sub511 as our top 6. Way too easy to contain, especially if one isn't even heavy built.

... people are underestimating the physical rigors of the NHL.. It's a real issue staying healthy in todays game. Bodies take a pounding out there, even moreso for small players.
Wait so why is our 6'3" C out for the season and our 5'11" C in the midst of an iron man streak?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't see Newhook or Roy as top 6 forwards on a strong team. Very good 3rd liners, however.

I think it's way too early to make a call on both of these players.

Newhook played only 28 games, couple of them on the wing for the 1st time in his career, then back to center, back to wing, gets injured and back at center. Still on pace for 40-45pts. Roy is only starting in the NHL and not fully ready yet.

Although I agree we can't bank on either of them becoming top 6 players, we're not building the dream team either, even the best team in the league don't have full top 6 forward made up of PPG players.

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The top 6 is set, pretty much. We just need one RW upgrade for Newhook to be pushed down to 3rd line and act like that Kessel of the 2016 Pens. (Or move Dach on the RW and have a better C there).

Slaf-Suzu-Cole
Roy-Dach-XX
Newhook-XX-XX

Celebrini is ideal... Demidov will make this core unbeatable but Iginla, Catton, Lindstrom and Eiserman can all play that 2nd line IMO. The first two basically make the Dach line the first line. Lindstrom and Iggy probably make the most sense for that line, Catton and Eiserman less. Maybe Helenius could also be considered.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This got me thinking. What is the best Habs line of the 2000s (on paper). I'm guessing it was tanguay-koivu-kovalev although I don't think it lasted too long, unfortunately.
Or

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev for production

Suzuki will be what he is right now. Entering his prime. So no elite but certainly able to compliment two elite guys
Elite for me is someone that is top 10 at his position and I don’t think any of those guys are gonna be that

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Nah.
Remember there is regular season elite, and then there is playoff season elite.. CC = Debrincat, basically same skillset. Neither player has the playoff jam that Patty Kane, theoren fleury, marty St.Louis played with..

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Or

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev for production

Elite for me is someone that is top 10 at his position and I don’t think any of those guys are gonna be that
Slaf will be.. it's imperative we draft Lidstrom/Celibrini as we desperately need a 1C. Once we have that, our top 6 will be incredibly good.. everything else will fall into place. Suzuki+CC are a cup winning 2nd line.

Reactions: cphabs

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Wait so why is our 6'3" C out for the season and our 5'11" C in the midst of an iron man streak?
Suzuki is 5'11" 200+lbs. Built like a tank. Unless you are suggesting Catton can bulk up like that, he's not the answer to our 1C 30year drought
Dach is 1 more injury away from hanging up the skates, has nothing to do with his size - but rather his inability to properly protect himself. Hope he's learning what is required to have himself positioned for contact low to the ground from all angles.. he doesn't bend his knees to brace for impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad