OT: The PUPPY THREAD

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
A great day to have a dog that goes out and gets the newspaper from the driveway.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
20240119_093030.jpg

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Anyone’s pups ever have anal gland issues? My little dude has had compacted material in there with small openings that make it difficult to express. Therefore painful during the monthly visits to the vet.
There’s a supplement that seems to be working.
Brutus does. It's not a big deal, they just express it a couple times a year at the vet. We know it's close to time when he starts licking his butt more than usual

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Anyone’s pups ever have anal gland issues? My little dude has had compacted material in there with small openings that make it difficult to express. Therefore painful during the monthly visits to the vet.
Gwen used to have that issue, it's not been a problem for a while. A lot of issues like itching, dragging ass, rashes, ear infections, etc clear up with diet. All our dogs are rescues, Copper was from a breed rescue so he was well cared for, Gwen and Chewy while fostered were more from problematic situations. We adjusted their food and a lot of their conditions cleared up, we've had issues with food companies switching formula, so again we adjusted.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Mutts are the best, hybrid vigor.
Too many breeds have become inbreed for looks, and have health problems and other issues.

Dog shows are probably the bane of dog health, used to be working dogs were bred for qualities like intelligence, temperament, health, etc. Now it's all about an idealized look.
Gwen and Chewy are mutts, aka the Heinz 57 variety pack, the funniest DNA we got back was for Chewy who is Yorkie, APBT, and Bulldog.

Copper (with the big smile) and Mick (the one who passed) are purebred English Staffordshire, so far they have kept a tight reign on breeders keeping to the standard and keeping the breeding stock low and regional the rescue org does a good job of finding them in shelters and pulling them out, but at some point they will fall victim to popularity.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

We did deal with this for one dog. You can also do it yourself if you think he needs it between visits. It’s not difficult. Just don’t wear a nice shirt. ;)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yup.

He has a searbelt for gom, it's adorable. He also has a sidecar built for his Harley that's specifically for the dog, but hasn't been able to use yet.

You’re in the right area, so if you ever see a Toller in the sidecar of a green 60s BMW, that’s my Dad. Go pet the dog. She’s friendly. :laugh:

Yes, she has her own goggles.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Brutus does. It's not a big deal, they just express it a couple times a year at the vet. We know it's close to time when he starts licking his butt more than usual
My guy needs to go monthly. He doesn’t scoot or anything like that. Hearing him yip when they expressed the hard material out was gut wrenching every time I heard it. It’s been improved lately with the fiber and probiotics.
Edit to add we had to go to the ER one time because it formed an abscess. Poor dude.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
We did deal with this for one dog. You can also do it yourself if you think he needs it between visits. It’s not difficult. Just don’t wear a nice shirt. ;)
I would have learned, but due to the nature of his situation, I shied away from it. If this supplement continues to work, I may save the $ and learn it myself.
I have to admit, I didn’t even know about them when I first got him. He spent most if his life with my ex and I inherited him (better for both of us). She stopped taking him to the groomer who did it, but didn’t address his glands. I found out when the got infected. Still a little mad at her for not letting me know.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
My guy needs to go monthly. He doesn’t scoot or anything like that. Hearing him yip when they expressed the hard material out was gut wrenching every time I heard it. It’s been improved lately with the fiber and probiotics.
Edit to add we had to go to the ER one time because it formed an abscess. Poor dude.
Man that's way worse than normal! Poor fella

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Newspaper? What’s that?
It's that thing your significant other reads, then rolls up and beats you over the head with when you are caught morning.

Inquirer is still good for sports and puzzles. Can't read the front section anymore, which has become a shill for the party regime in Philly.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It's that thing your significant other reads, then rolls up and beats you over the head with when you are caught morning.

Inquirer is still good for sports and puzzles. Can't read the front section anymore, which has become a shill for the party regime in Philly.
Inquirer? Oh, you mean for reading the news and stuff. They have that on the internet now, in case you hadn’t heard.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Simple pleasure to read the actual paper, instead of staring at my phone for another couple of hours. I am also big on doing the daily puzzles like Jumble and crossword. Not really feasible to do them online. Even had a phone with a stylus and tried them on line. Much prefer the simple approach. Will say one thing. Coupons used to pay for the cost of the paper, but there are fewer and fewer these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad