IMG_2081.jpeg
IMG_2238.jpeg

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Actually here is a question.

We are looking at changing her to an adult food, she’s been on Purina pro plan puppy as she came kind of lean.

I’ve heard good things about Hills? Don’t want to go too nuts for cost, but something ok quality.
My experience with Hills has been only when it was prescribed by the vet for some health issue. After surgery for example. I think it's generally a bland formula, which is good for dogs with sensitive stomachs.

I've always given my dogs all natural, grain free food. I do NOT think grain-free is necessarily better or healthier. It's more expensive but at the same time, you don't need to give your dog as much. And they generally poop less. I've used mainly Taste of the Wild and Blue Wilderness and my dogs have done fine on both.

One thing that's good to keep in mind; check the ingredients. It's generally recommended that the first ingredients listed be meat. At least in the US they have to list the ingredients ordered by how much there is of each.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

We are looking at changing her to an adult food, she’s been on Purina pro plan puppy as she came kind of lean.

I’ve heard good things about Hills? Don’t want to go too nuts for cost, but something ok quality.

Our pug is on Hills because she has stomach issues and they ideally need lower protein levels than our retrievers. One retriever is on Orijen and the other Fromm’s. The latter was on Fromm when she came and didn’t like the Orijen, so we just kept her on what she liked.

We’ve talked to multiple vets and done quite a bit of research. The answer is that if you don’t have a specific need for Hills, there’s no need to go that far. Just get something of quality she likes. Like Jack said, read the ingredients and you’ll get your answer.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
She's diabolical. I will relate the story I told Striiker via PM a few weeks ago.

She dragged this bed from the other side of the house, down the hallway, and into my office. Then she went back to get her squid. She flipped the bed upside down, laid on it, and gave me this shit eating grin. This was an every day occurrence until we stopped moving it back.
Happy belated bday to the P.U.G.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

We feed Snoop and Brutus Purina. Jack and Jojo have already said what I would say- unless your dog has a need (sensitive stomach, allergies, etc) don't get too stressed.

One thing I will add is USE CHEWY. You can get auto ships on an x weekly schedule, etc. Very useful

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Our pug is on Hills because she has stomach issues and they ideally need lower protein levels than our retrievers. One retriever is on Orijen and the other Fromm’s. The latter was on Fromm when she came and didn’t like the Orijen, so we just kept her on what she liked.

We’ve talked to multiple vets and done quite a bit of research. The answer is that if you don’t have a specific need for Hills, there’s no need to go that far. Just get something of quality she likes. Like Jack said, read the ingredients and you’ll get your answer.
I've used Orijen in the past too. It has a good reputation.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad