Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
And in Pettersson's case literally zero of the comparable U20 SHL players didn't become impactful NHL players.

Pettersson was the top pick in the draft based on league adjusted scoring. Patrick wasn't in the top ten. Will be interested in how that plays out.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Keeper is a freshman and Poolman is a sophomore. I'm sure they'll quit college for a NHL contract. Poolman's stats are up there with guys like Krys and Fabbro while Keeper's are closer to guys like Ferraro, Ahcan and Reilly Walsh. Not bad stats and they both got size (6'1 and 6'2) with high PIM. Interesting players.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Keeper is a freshman and Poolman is a sophomore. I'm sure they'll quit college for a NHL contract. Poolman's stats are up there with guys like Krys and Fabbro while Keeper's are closer to guys like Ferraro, Ahcan and Reilly Walsh. Not bad stats and they both got size (6'1 and 6'2) with high PIM. Interesting players.
This is the better way to fill the age gap if that's the goal.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Nov 1, 2011
We can literally spend all day naming examples and counterexamples on both sides. It is an utterly futile endeavour.

That was my point.

There's enough examples both ways to show that neither the eye test or stats "prove" anything...so there's room to use both for guidance.

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Poolman is younger brother of Tucker Poolman of Jets. Their father is the strength and conditioning coach for North Dakota.

Reactions: lindgren

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Casey Mittelstadt deciding right now with his family whether or not to come out of NCAA Minnesota after only one college season and a great WJCs and sign with the Sabres right now and burn the 1st year of his ELC and then try to make team USA's roster for the World Cup. His alternative option is to go back to college next year. Buffalo feels he is ready for the NHL.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Casey Mittelstadt deciding right now with his family whether or not to come out of NCAA Minnesota after only one college season and a great WJCs and sign with the Sabres right now and burn the 1st year of his ELC and then try to make team USA's roster for the World Cup. His alternative option is to go back to college next year. Buffalo feels he is ready for the NHL.

He’ll come out as U of Minnesota is not the program it used to be. If he was at UND, BC or BU I could see him stay on.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That was my point.

There's enough examples both ways to show that neither the eye test or stats "prove" anything...so there's room to use both for guidance.

I am quite confident that i can make picks based on stats and not perform worse than any sort of standard you could come up with.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Thu Mar 22

Europe Playoffs

Saipa 5 TPS 6
Palmu 1 goal (1st)
Juolevi 0 points

TPS leads series 2-0

Vaxjo 4 Brynas 0
Pettersson 1 assist, even

Vaxjo leads series 2-1

ECHL

Wichita 3 Kalamazoo 5
Moynihan 1 goal (14th), 2 assists, -1 (selected 2nd star)
Irving 0 points, -1
Stewart 0 points, -1
Garteig was the back-up

OHL Playoffs

London 4 Owen Sound 5
McKenzie 0 points, +1
Gadjovich 0 points, even

Owen Sound leads series 1-0

WHL

Tri-City 5 Kelowna 0
Lind 0 points, -1

Kelowna trails series 0-1

S_C

Nov 1, 2011
I am quite confident that i can make picks based on stats and not perform worse than any sort of standard you could come up with.

Then do it. Have you been posting in the link where you make your picks on the day of the draft?

Nov 1, 2011
I will this year.

Excited to see your picks too.

I'm not claiming any expertise. Just saying that there is room for the eye test.

The Horvat year, I had Nikushkin.

The Virtanen year I flip flopped between Ritchie and Ehlers. Did not want Nylander, Virtanen wasn't on my radar. On draft day I was sold on Ehlers due to his incredible stats.

Boeser's year I had Konecny.

The Juolevi year I was 100% Tkachuk based on who was available.

The Pettersson year I had Cody Glass.

I am generally a stat scouter.

Also, it seems people who think they'd do a lot better than the Canucks generally like to pick one of their top 3 in retrospect instead of sticking to 1 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Mar 23

AHL

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 4 Utica 5 (OT)
Demko 37 saves on 41 shots

Michael Carcone (13) ASST: Wacey Hamilton (11)
Michael Chaput (13) ASST: Dylan Blujus (11), Patrick Wiercioch (23) (PP)
Michael Chaput (14) ASST: Tanner MacMaster (1), Jaime Sifers (5)
Zac Lynch (1) ASST: Michael Carcone (12), Wacey Hamilton (12)
Ashton Sautner (3) ASST: Tanner MacMaster (2), Michael Chaput (20)

OHL Playoffs

Oshawa 2 Niagara 4
Brassard 1 goal (1st), -3

Oshawa trails series 0-1

Windsor 6 Sarnia 2
DiPietro 43 saves on 45 shots (selected 1st star)

Windsor leads series 1-0

S_C

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It looks like DiPietro single handedly won that game for Windsor (and got help from the other goalie too).
Yeah nice to see. Hes been getting a few 1st stars lately and nice to see 7th round pick Brassard keeps on scoring

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
McLovin‏ @McLovinCanucks 4h4 hours ago

Benning picked this guy up in the 7th round, FYI.

DY5hO6XV4AA4PSu.jpg

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad