Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Dhaliwal gets over excited trying to find stories and he just tweets everything that he hears. So he puts out a lot more news than the others but it's far less likely to amount to anything, even if his sources are credible. I used to enjoy that about him but lately he's been very sensationalist and honestly I think he goes too far in his questioning, he always harasses the management of teams Canucks prospects play on asking if they think the prospect will abandon their team to join us and then makes a story out of the coach defending their team and saying no and giving reasons why.

he does solid legwork, but he seems to have no good platform other than his tweets, and he is not established as a talking head who is followed for his take on stories others break. so i think he has to grind out facts to get followers. this forces him to report every event or fact he comes across.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Dhaliwal gets over excited trying to find stories and he just tweets everything that he hears. So he puts out a lot more news than the others but it's far less likely to amount to anything, even if his sources are credible. I used to enjoy that about him but lately he's been very sensationalist and honestly I think he goes too far in his questioning, he always harasses the management of teams Canucks prospects play on asking if they think the prospect will abandon their team to join us and then makes a story out of the coach defending their team and saying no and giving reasons why.

This has nothing to do with Dhaliwal and everything to do with the nature of modern reporting, and social media specifically Twitter.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
2nd behind Hischier
This. My mind will only change after hes prooven it in the NHL. Which btw i think he will but dont want to take away from Hischiers extremely successful and impressive rookie season in the nhl

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Without trying to be biased, and I was a GM and doing last year's draft based on the D+1 season it would be foolish not to pick Pettersson 1st OA based on the record year he just had.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It's minutes away from puck drop for Juolevi and Palmu: TPS Turku vs SaiPa. I expect frequent updates from all the posters in Finland eager to fill us in.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Without trying to be biased, and I was a GM and doing last year's draft based on the D+1 season it would be foolish not to pick Pettersson 1st OA based on the record year he just had.

Hischier is going to score 50-55 points in the NHL at 18, almost entirely at ES. He's still #1.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I hate when people just blindly defend whoever makes the NHL first (in this case Patrick) but Hischier is doing really well and at this point you just can't rank Pettersson above him yet, even though I think he does ultimately have the potential to be the best player.

I'd say he is at 2 or 3 -- Similar level as Heiskanen.

Last edited:

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Taking into considering their D+1 seasons thus far, I would have the top 3 now will be Hischier, Pettersson, Patrick in that order. Both Nico and Patrick are contributing and doing well in the NHL but what Pettersson has done at the SHL level is amazing. The gap between Nico and Elias is closer than Nico and Nolan on draft day IMO.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Hischier is going to score 50-55 points in the NHL at 18, almost entirely at ES. He's still #1.

Which is a solid, but unspectacular rookie season. Puts him on the level of who - Landeskog/RNH/Tkachuk?

Pettersson's season was the best SHL season we've seen in 40 years. Yeah, the amount of players going to the SHL is obviously much smaller than the number of players going to the NHL, but I would still rank it as clearly the better season to my eyes.

In my mind Hischier is a safer pick but I'd swing for the fences with Pettersson - he's got the highest upside of anyone in the entire draft.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Which is a solid, but unspectacular rookie season. Puts him on the level of who - Landeskog/RNH/Tkachuk?

Pettersson's season was the best SHL season we've seen in 40 years. Yeah, the amount of players going to the SHL is obviously much smaller than the number of players going to the NHL, but I would still rank it as clearly the better season to my eyes.

In my mind Hischier is a safer pick but I'd swing for the fences with Pettersson - he's got the highest upside of anyone in the entire draft.

A teenager scoring 55 points in the NHL would have absolutely massacred the SEL if he was in the same league was Pettersson. Plus Hischier's two-way game is on a different level.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if you use hindsight for all three players i am not sure pettersson even beats nolan. actually seeing players can play in the nhl is worth a huge amount, especially given pettersson's size issues.

i do think that petterson would go first overall last year if you only used hindsight for him, but that's not really fair.

how about this one: where would petterson go this year if he was undrafted last season and draft eligible this year? 2nd or 1st?

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
A teenager scoring 55 points in the NHL would have absolutely massacred the SEL if he was in the same league was Pettersson. Plus Hischier's two-way game is on a different level.

I don't know how you would accurately be able to determine how Pettersson's two-way game relative to Hischer's. Given the two different leagues, different ice sizes, and their respective roles, I don't see enough of commonality to make an apples-to-apples comparion.
Hischier is still the no-doubt #1, as his NHL production is excellent for an underdeveloped 18-year-old, but by all accounts, Pettersson has been a damn good two-way forward in the SHL as well, and we frankly just don't have any idea how that translates to North America. I don't think there's enough evidence to say Hischier's on a different two-way level when we don't know what Pettersson's level is.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

1) No it wasnt.
2) the SHL is still a long way from the Nhl. Do you really think Hischier couldn't have put up those point totals playing in that league?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
1) No it wasnt.
2) the SHL is still a long way from the Nhl. Do you really think Hischier couldn't have put up those point totals playing in that league?

Backstrom didn't, its more likely than not, Hischier would have not put that type of production in the SHL. Pettersson outproduced Sedins, Forsberg, and Naslund.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
It would be close between Hischier and Pettersson now. Hischier has 46 points in 72 NHL games. Using a .58 conversion from SHL points to NHL points, Pettersson's PPG would translate to 53 points in 72 games. As someone noted above, Hischier would be safer but Pettersson might have more upside. Should also note that Pettersson was on the ice for only 12 goals against in 44 games.

People should be thrilled that we got this kid with the #5 pick.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
How does this work if these 2 guys are not ready to sign pro contracts. Do they have to pay their own way if they attend development camp? I know there are NCAA rules pertaining to college kids and pro camps.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It would be close between Hischier and Pettersson now. Hischier has 46 points in 72 NHL games. Using a .58 conversion from SHL points to NHL points, Pettersson's PPG would translate to 53 points in 72 games. As someone noted above, Hischier would be safer but Pettersson might have more upside. Should also note that Pettersson was on the ice for only 12 goals against in 44 games.

People should be thrilled that we got this kid with the #5 pick.

Almost makes me glad we didn't win the draft lottery...

As much as we complain about the cursed frnachise never winning the lottery or getting the short end of the stick in trades (see Neely), there have been some huge wins for the team. It's a little early to say but it looks like drafting Pettersson at #5 could be one of them. Right up there with Naslund for Stoyanov....

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm entirely unconvinced that any old 50p player in the world can waltz into the SHL and drop astronomical numbers. Backstrom went from 40p in 45 games in the SEL to 69p in the NHL the very next year. Forsberg went from 44p in 39 games in the SEL to 50p in 47 games in the NHL the very next year. Neither Naslund or the Sedins transitioned quite so gracefully, but their talent eventually shone through.

The NHLe of Pettersson's season was just over 60p. I don't put too much weight on that number and definitely don't treat it as gospel, but I think it puts both their seasons on pretty even terms.

1) No it wasnt.

1) Sorry. Best U-20 SHL season we've seen in 40 years is what I meant to say. Obviously a very different statement.
2) Yes, that is what I am saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad