Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Brickley will probably sign with one of the bigger american markets (Chicago, NYR, etc).

I'd be shocked if we were even in his Top 5 despite the fact we have one of the worst defenses in hockey.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Brickley will probably sign with one of the bigger american markets (Chicago, NYR, etc).

I'd be shocked if we were even in his Top 5 despite the fact we have one of the worst defenses in hockey.

You never know... here's hoping GMJB can work some miracles. We have an incredible group of young talent coming into the org, that's gotta get players excited. We'll see.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
You never know... here's hoping GMJB can work some miracles. We have an incredible group of young talent coming into the org, that's gotta get players excited. We'll see.
My only hope is that since he's from Utah he might be more open to a west coast team than a player that grew up on the east coast.

Still don't think we have a hope in hell.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
And in Pettersson's case literally zero of the comparable U20 SHL players didn't become impactful NHL players.

Much as I like most Canucks fans am excited about Pettersson's future, this statement made me wonder how many comparables are there for Pettersson among U20 SHL players. If there are quite a few comparables then how the others did is meaningful, but if it is just two players, Forsberg and Nilsson, then we have two statistical results to point to.

The first is that among the many hundreds who have played in the SHL (SEL) over the past few decades only two have stood out to the extent that Pettersson has makes him an exceptional prospect indeed.

The second, on the other hand, is that looking at how those two did in the NHL, while not meaningless, is an exceptional example of small sample size statistics. Looking at how two players did doesn't make for the near certainty that the statement "literally zero of the comparable U20 SHL players didn't become impactful NHL players" makes it appear to be.

In case anyone misunderstands, I'm not arguing here that Pettersson is or isn't going to be an NHL star or NHL player. I'm just saying that using a statistically insignificant sample leads to statistical results that mean a lot less than they appear.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Much as I, like probably every Canucks fan, am excited about Pettersson's future, this statement made me wonder how many comparables are there for Pettersson among U20 SHL players. If there are quite a few comparables then the rest of my post is meaningless.

If it is just two players, Forsberg and Nilsson, then we have two statistical situations. The first is that among the many hundreds who have played in the SHL (SEL) over the past few decades only two have stood out to the extent that Pettersson has makes him an exceptional prospect indeed.

The second, on the other hand, is that looking at how those two did in the NHL, while not meaningless, is an exceptional example of small sample size statistics. It doesn't make for the near certainty that the statement "literally zero of the comparable U20 SHL players didn't become impactful NHL players" makes it appear to be.

In case anyone takes issue, I'm not arguing here that Pettersson is or isn't going to be an NHL star or NHL player. I'm just saying that using a statistically insignificant sample leads to statistical results that mean a lot less than they appear (no matter how much I like the result.)

Thing is this kid makes offense on his own, he's not just tapping pucks in at the side of the net. Yes he needs more strength and to get better forcing the play and possessing the puck BUT everything else about this player is off the charts.

His assist on Vaxjo's 4th goal today showed off everything incredible about this kid... SO smart, so patient.

Certainly he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level but it's hard to think of many prospects entering the Canucks org as tool rich as this kid.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Prediction: Canucks will draft one of these 4 players:

I get the feeling that the Canucks will end up with one of the following:

-Rasmus Dahlin
-Evan Bouchard
-Adam Boqvist
-Brady Tkachuk

If we get 1st overall, it’s Dahlin all the way. Any other pick however, and I think Benning will do the following:

1). Will choose organizational needs over BPA
2). Will choose a guy that has had a previous history or relationship with current teammates.

Given the fact that Bouchard is a RHD and has a previous history with Juolevi, I think the Canucks will draft him if they land 2nd overall or below. If he’s taken, they will choose Boqvist.

If all of those guys are taken, I think they will choose Tkachuk due to his LW position and the fact that he might be able to play C (if Peterson doesn’t trend as a center, it serves as insurance).

That’s my prediction!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

We have an amazing D. Lots high end young stars, a 3rd overall, a 5th overall and an 8th overall. We will be adding another top 5 overall one this year.

GarryValkyrie

Mar 14, 2008
Vancouver
We have an amazing D. Lots high end young stars, a 3rd overall, a 5th overall and an 8th overall. We will be adding another top 5 overall one this year.
I am having a brain cramp on the 5th,unless you mean Joulevi. Also a 20th overall in there,he lays down the tracks.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Gudbranson - 3rd overall selection
Juolevi - 5th overall selection
Pouliot - 8th overall selection

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I said this earlier, but I’ll reiterate:

If the Canucks draft somewhere between 2-5, we will either draft Evan Bouchard or Adam Boqvist (Bouchard being more likely). In the unlikely event that we draft at the number 5 spot, and Bouchard and Boqvist have both been selected, we will draft Brady Tkachuk.

I’ll also go out on a limb and say that we will NOT draft Svechnikov or Zadina regardless of draft position.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Much as I like most Canucks fans am excited about Pettersson's future, this statement made me wonder how many comparables are there for Pettersson among U20 SHL players. If there are quite a few comparables then how the others did is meaningful, but if it is just two players, Forsberg and Nilsson, then we have two statistical results to point to.

The first is that among the many hundreds who have played in the SHL (SEL) over the past few decades only two have stood out to the extent that Pettersson has makes him an exceptional prospect indeed.

The second, on the other hand, is that looking at how those two did in the NHL, while not meaningless, is an exceptional example of small sample size statistics. Looking at how two players did doesn't make for the near certainty that the statement "literally zero of the comparable U20 SHL players didn't become impactful NHL players" makes it appear to be.

In case anyone misunderstands, I'm not arguing here that Pettersson is or isn't going to be an NHL star or NHL player. I'm just saying that using a statistically insignificant sample leads to statistical results that mean a lot less than they appear.

add Naslund, Gradin, Backstrom, the two Sedins as players Pettersson surpassed in U20 scoring in the SHL.

Last edited:

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I said this earlier, but I’ll reiterate:

If the Canucks draft somewhere between 2-5, we will either draft Evan Bouchard or Adam Boqvist (Bouchard being more likely). In the unlikely event that we draft at the number 5 spot, and Bouchard and Boqvist have both been selected, we will draft Brady Tkachuk.

I’ll also go out on a limb and say that we will NOT draft Svechnikov or Zadina regardless of draft position.
If the Canucks draft for position in the top 5, everybody should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad