Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
add Naslund, Gradin, Backstrom, the two Sedins as players Pettersson surpassed in U20 scoring in the SHL.

There is no shortage of players Pettersson surpassed.

The only one of those that is close to being a comparable though was Gradin with his 1.11 ppg at that age compared with Pettersson's 1.27. None of the others exceeded 1.0. Henrik and Daniel were at .94 and .90. They and others in that range were so far off Pettersson they aren't comparables for Pettersson's age and scoring level in the SHL.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sat March 24

Europe Playoffs

TPS 7 Saipa 0
Palmu 2 goals (2nd, 3rd), 1 assist
Juolevi 1 goal (2nd)

TPS leads series 3-0

Brynas 3 Vaxjo 5
Pettersson 1 goal (1st), 2 assists, +2

Vaxjo leads series 3-1

AHL

Utica 0 Syracuse 2
Demko 35 saves on 36 shots

NCAA Tournament

Northeastern 2 Michigan 3
Gaudette 0 points, -3
Lockwood out with injury

OHL Playoffs

Windsor 1 Sarnia 4
DiPietro 48 saves on 50 shots (selected 2nd star)

Series tied 1-1

London 3 Owen Sound 4 (OT)
McKenzie 2 goals (1st, 2nd), -1 (selected 1st star)
Gadjovich 0 points, -1

Owen Sound leads series 2-0

WHL Playoffs

Tri-City 9 Kelowna 7
Lind 2 goals (1st, 2nd), 1 assist, -2

Kelowna trails series 0-2

S_C

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
There is no shortage of players Pettersson surpassed.

The only one of those that is close to being a comparable though was Gradin with his 1.11 ppg at that age compared with Pettersson's 1.27. None of the others exceeded 1.0. Henrik and Daniel were at .94 and .90. They and others in that range were so far off Pettersson they aren't comparables for Pettersson's age and scoring level in the SHL.
OK. I'm not sure I completely understood your original point then. But I didn't go through and read the whole conversation. My bad.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If the Canucks draft for position in the top 5, everybody should be fired.

As a Benning supporter, even I’ll have to admit that I’ll be upset if we end up passing on someone like Svechnikov and he ends up being like Kucherov or Tarasenko.

Still - I’m 90% positive that we’ll end up with one of Dahlin, Bouchard, or Boqvist.........with an outside shot of Tkachuk.

I think the Benning regime passes on Svech and Zadina in positions 2-5, and goes with a D. Brady gets picked at #5 for us if the aforementioned three D are already selected.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Gudbranson - 3rd overall selection
Juolevi - 5th overall selection
Pouliot - 8th overall selection

Ya we get that part. It's the "Amazing D, lots of high end stars" thats confusing. Either it's an epic troll or he's out to lunch, not sure which tbh, on this board neither would surprise me.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Much as I like most Canucks fans am excited about Pettersson's future, this statement made me wonder how many comparables are there for Pettersson among U20 SHL players. If there are quite a few comparables then how the others did is meaningful, but if it is just two players, Forsberg and Nilsson, then we have two statistical results to point to.

The first is that among the many hundreds who have played in the SHL (SEL) over the past few decades only two have stood out to the extent that Pettersson has makes him an exceptional prospect indeed.

The second, on the other hand, is that looking at how those two did in the NHL, while not meaningless, is an exceptional example of small sample size statistics. Looking at how two players did doesn't make for the near certainty that the statement "literally zero of the comparable U20 SHL players didn't become impactful NHL players" makes it appear to be.

In case anyone misunderstands, I'm not arguing here that Pettersson is or isn't going to be an NHL star or NHL player. I'm just saying that using a statistically insignificant sample leads to statistical results that mean a lot less than they appear.

Very true.

There is a certain amount of selection bias at play here. A lot of players doing as well as Pettersson was would have only spent part of the season there before being signed and brought to North America. The recent changes to the Sweden-NHL transfer agreement have played a role here as well, as they extended the signing window for the specific reason being that they could keep players like Pettersson longer.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Ya we get that part. It's the "Amazing D, lots of high end stars" thats confusing. Either it's an epic troll or he's out to lunch, not sure which tbh, on this board neither would surprise me.

My bad
Seemed like sarcasm to me, but I've tried to distance myself from this board for a bit considering the toxicity, that I truly don't know how some posters completely operate

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
As a Benning supporter, even I’ll have to admit that I’ll be upset if we end up passing on someone like Svechnikov and he ends up being like Kucherov or Tarasenko.

Still - I’m 90% positive that we’ll end up with one of Dahlin, Bouchard, or Boqvist.........with an outside shot of Tkachuk.

I think the Benning regime passes on Svech and Zadina in positions 2-5, and goes with a D. Brady gets picked at #5 for us if the aforementioned three D are already selected.
if they pick Brady Tkachuk over Zadina/Svechnikov (since the d-men is gone and Canucks are picking 5th there not taken yet in your scenario)they should not only be fired, they should be beaten with sticks.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
if they pick Brady Tkachuk over Zadina/Svechnikov (since the d-men is gone and Canucks are picking 5th there not taken yet in your scenario)they should not only be fired, they should be beaten with sticks.
Extreme but yeah that would be nuts if they did that

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Goalie sticks, because they could do more damage. LOL

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
at this rate, neither Pettersson or Juolevi will be available until past the last Canucks game.
If TPS doesn't make it past the 2nd round, then he might be ready by the last game for Utica.

and when u look at it like this angle, Palmu is really small.
180324_26_tps-saipa.jpg__863x516_q85_box-0%2C63%2C1200%2C780_crop_detail_subsampling-2.jpg

Reactions: Josepho

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Sat March 24

Europe Playoffs

TPS 7 Saipa 0
Palmu 2 goals (2nd, 3rd), 1 assist
Juolevi 1 goal (2nd)

TPS leads series 3-0

Brynas 3 Vaxjo 5
Pettersson 1 goal (1st), 2 assists, +2

Vaxjo leads series 3-1

AHL

Utica 0 Syracuse 2
Demko 35 saves on 36 shots

NCAA Tournament

Northeastern 2 Michigan 3
Gaudette 0 points, -3
Lockwood out with injury

OHL Playoffs

Windsor 1 Sarnia 4
DiPietro 48 saves on 50 shots (selected 2nd star)

Series tied 1-1

London 3 Owen Sound 4 (OT)
McKenzie 2 goals (1st, 2nd), -1 (selected 1st star)
Gadjovich 0 points, -1

Owen Sound leads series 2-0

WHL Playoffs

Tri-City 9 Kelowna 7
Lind 2 goals (1st, 2nd), 1 assist, -2

Kelowna trails series 0-2

S_C

Not looking good for K-town so far,losing the first two games on home ice.It would be a bit of an upset if Kelowna loses to a wildcard team but Tri-Cities were a very good team playing in 5 way dogfight of a US division this season.
We could see Lind in Utica sooner rather than later if this keeps up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....DiPietro is blitzed with 50 shots and stops 49 of them and is the second star?....see he was recently voted the best puck-handling goalie in the OHL coaches poll.....do we have another Jonathan Quick on our hands?

Have to love how the Canuck prospects are stepping in the playoffs, when the checking is tighter and the games more intense.....Palmu continues to be an intriguing late-round pick; and if the Rockets bow out in the first round could Lind end up in Utica for the stretch drive?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Wow!....DiPietro is blitzed with 50 shots and stops 49 of them and is the second star?....see he was recently voted the best puck-handling goalie in the OHL coaches poll.....do we have another Jonathan Quick on our hands?

Have to love how the Canuck prospects are stepping in the playoffs, when the checking is tighter and the games more intense.....Palmu continues to be an intriguing late-round pick; and if the Rockets bow out in the first round could Lind end up in Utica for the stretch drive?

JD Burke and his crew will be furious.

I love it. :cool:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Very true.

There is a certain amount of selection bias at play here. A lot of players doing as well as Pettersson was would have only spent part of the season there before being signed and brought to North America. The recent changes to the Sweden-NHL transfer agreement have played a role here as well, as they extended the signing window for the specific reason being that they could keep players like Pettersson longer.

This applies to exactly one player. Nylander came over while at ppg but who else was close? Not sure what the need to diminish Petterson's stats are. Is league weaker? Are comparables leaving? etc. He dominated a good man's league as a 19 year old period. That is rare and it speaks well for itself. It is impossible to compare different eras or teams so perhaps Petterson in a different situation would only be great and not the best.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This applies to exactly one player. Nylander came over while at ppg but who else was close? Not sure what the need to diminish Petterson's stats are. Is league weaker? Are comparables leaving? etc. He dominated a good man's league as a 19 year old period. That is rare and it speaks well for itself. It is impossible to compare different eras or teams so perhaps Petterson in a different situation would only be great and not the best.

Nobody is trying to diminish anything. It is a grown-up conversation about meaningful statistics and understanding context. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Nobody is trying to diminish anything. It is a grown-up conversation about meaningful statistics and understanding context. [mod]
You were claiming anti selection bias without any backup. If you are going to say Petterson's stats need to be taken in context than stat why? Who other than Nylander should be considered? Throw out some examples.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You were claiming anti selection bias without any backup. If you are going to say Petterson's stats need to be taken in context than stat why? Who other than Nylander should be considered? Throw out some examples.

There are plenty of players not doing as well as Pettersson who were nevertheless brought over early in the season. Kevin Fiala and Mika Zibanejad immediately come to mind, in addition to Nylander. My only point was that players who are even holding their own in the SHL don't generally stay there for the full season, historically. Pettersson's statistical performance is a function of both the level to which he was able to dominate but also the situation that allowed him to play the full season.

In the past, a player with 21 points in 20 games or whatever he had probably would not usually have been left there to finish the season on a tear the way he did.

None of this changes the fact that his performance was extremely impressive to the point where it is very hard to even find any comparable players. I find it very frustrating that discussion gets stifled in here because if you say anything less than "Pettersson will be the greatest player to ever wear the jersey" then people get defensive and accuse you of trying to "diminish" his performance.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sun March 25

Europe Playoffs

Karlskrona 2 Timra 1 (OT)
Dahlen 0 points, even

Timra trails series 0-1

AHL

Utica 4 Binghamton 3
Bachman 38 saves on 41 shots

Zac Lynch (2) ASST: Adam Comrie (10)
Frankie Simonelli (1) ASST: Michael Chaput (21), Patrick Wiercioch (24) (PP)
Andrew Cherniwchan (7) ASST: None (SH)
Matt Leitner (1) ASST: None

ECHL

Kalamazoo 1 Toledo 4
Moynihan 0 points, even
Irving 1 assist, -1
Stewart 0 points, even

NCAA Tournament

Boston University 3 Michigan 6
Lockwood out with injury

OHL Playoffs

Oshawa 1 Niagara 6