Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Columbus | 01/13/19 - 6PM - MSG, NHL-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm at the point where I'm rooting for 7-6 losses so that we can at least have fun while we lose. It's great seeing some of the young guys look good. ADA last night was wonderful to watch even against top competition. The pieces are coming along, its just going to be a little while longer

That's a good point, rather they show the effort put up some points, than be a total train-wreck. There going to get outplayed by most of the league but it does not mean they have to play bad to lose.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Going back to Fast and how he doesn't play any powerplay.....why???

I could understand it when we had MSL, Nash, and Miller.

At this point, Vlad Namestnikov and Brett Howden are on our powerplay. Fast can't get a look? Not even a minute?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW the Rangers are kind of soft--not as soft as they were under AV mind you but there are a number of guys who are kind of shy....but it's also a developing team and this year there's been some throwing of shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Our most physical D are McQuaid and Claesson--both were out last night and that made a difference in front of our net--Columbus was on top of Georgiev all night.

Reactions: leetch99

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Anyone who has 3 minutes of free time I would suggest watching Quinns postgame on nhl.com. He tells it exactly how it is and doesnt hold back. I loved the part where he says 'I wish we could have a practice where I throw pucks in the corner and we see who comes out with it'

For a team with a lot of young players they dont play very hungry. They just dont play with enough grit and willingness to battle it out.
People crap on Quinn a lot...I gotta be honest...I love the guy.

Don't agree with how he's handled DeAngelo...but by and large I agree with almost everything he's doing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Don't agree with how he's handled DeAngelo...but by and large I agree with almost everything he's doing.
I'm not gonna judge him without a real roster, but for me, he's a likable guy.

Seems like he's tough and very honest. But he's really a nice guy who wants the best beneath that.

That's just my read from the outside.

I had the opposite read on AV. Sweetheart to your face but there was a sneakiness about him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not gonna judge him without a real roster, but for me, he's a likable guy.

Seems like he's tough and very honest. But he's really a nice guy who wants the best beneath that.

That's just my read from the outside.

I had the opposite read on AV. Sweetheart to your face but there was a sneakiness about him.

AV was a moron.

His "never critique a win" "we'll just burn the tape" "they can't all be Picassos" attitude has polluted this franchise with a stench that they still haven't completely cleared out.

Every job he gets from here on out should be as an assistant coach where I think he can excel. Anyone who hires him as a head guy deserves what they get.

Reactions: Machinehead

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I just watched the replay because I wanted to see the Rick Nash tribute and puck drop. I think it was in poor form by Columbus to now show his career highs with the Rangers. Bad, bad form.
Figured the Rangers will have something similar at the Garden so I thought it was fine.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

To me it's ADA (how it compares to treatment of Pink), and specifically the impact on PP structure.

Yesterday, for example, I'd leave McQ in for that game and let Pionk sit it out as a healthy scratch.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
AV was a moron.

His "never critique a win" "we'll just burn the tape" "they can't all be Picassos" attitude has polluted this franchise with a stench that they still haven't completely cleared out.

Every job he gets from here on out should be as an assistant coach where I think he can excel. Anyone who hires him as a head guy deserves what they get.
I agree. He adds value here and there, but he has too many holes to be the lead guy, and lacks the temperament.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Anyone who has 3 minutes of free time I would suggest watching Quinns postgame on nhl.com. He tells it exactly how it is and doesnt hold back. I loved the part where he says 'I wish we could have a practice where I throw pucks in the corner and we see who comes out with it'

For a team with a lot of young players they dont play very hungry. They just dont play with enough grit and willingness to battle it out.
This has generally been the Rangers m-o for years, sadly. Not surprising DQ plays McQuaid and McLeod regularly. These guys are good examples.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
AV will get another head coaching gig in the NHL.

Two President's Trophies and two trips to the Stanley Cup Finals will ensure that.

What he does with that gig, and potentially the one after that, is another matter.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Think so?
I called this FROM OVER A YEAR AGO.

I have been verbally crucified since first proposing the notion, and I don't consider it inappropriate to extend my peace and love to 95+% of the board, no hard feelings to them, only comeuppance as is appropriate.

PS - I'll deal with it on my own timetable, but my adamant insistence on speaking this truth [now proven to be correct as to a preliminary degree, and to which multiple other posters have said I was right] is the basis for my being banned from the free agent thread.
I won't discuss that further here and now,
but given that while I am correct on the merits,
my remarks are fully justified.

I guess congratulations are in order then for calling the goal/assist combo.
I'm still basking in my Dawes to Drury combo from many a moon ago

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
1000 yard stare. He cares more than most of the roster. This is a roster issue, and not talent -- it's personalities. Too many guys just havin' a skate out there.

I don't know if I see a personality (or personalities) emerging that really push this team.

At this rate, I don't see them naming a captain next season either.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I don't know if I see a personality (or personalities) emerging that really push this team.

At this rate, I don't see them naming a captain next season either.
It will probably take success to do it.

IIRC Landeskog on COL is the kind of guy we hope Lias Andersson will be persona wise, he's been their captain since like 19, and they still had garbage ass effort for like 3 of his 5 years.

I think it's really a thing beyond one or two or even five guys, it's a whole culture of it we still haven't purged. AV telling them to turn the other cheek is a cool narrative until he's long gone and they're still turning away from hits poke checking.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The Rangers are in desperate need of an "alpha" type who wants to be the guy.
The tone is set from your best players, and there's pretty strong evidence at this point that none of them are equipped to drive the team the way the fans, coach, and presumably management want it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete roster overhaul outside of 2 or 3 guys in the next 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: JHS

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers are in desperate need of an "alpha" type who wants to be the guy.

I think that could work, but I guess I tend to view it as needing more Type A personalities in general.

When you look at certain teams with good leadership cores, it's usually not just one guy. It's usually several who demand more from the team and push it further.

I don't really see those guys on this roster, and haven't for a while.

I see guys who fans like. Guys who fans wish were like, mainly because they like them so much. But I don't really see that core --- yet.

Does it exist here with some time? Maybe, but I don't see it as being obvious at this point.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It will probably take success to do it.

IIRC Landeskog on COL is the kind of guy we hope Lias Andersson will be persona wise, he's been their captain since like 19, and they still had garbage ass effort for like 3 of his 5 years.

I think it's really a thing beyond one or two or even five guys, it's a whole culture of it we still haven't purged. AV telling them to turn the other cheek is a cool narrative until he's long gone and they're still turning away from hits poke checking.

I think success helps, but I do think we have a bit of a leadership vacuum.

I still think we have guys who play hockey to live, not necessarily who live to play hockey. It's not to say they aren't passionate, but I don't know if they're the type who get sick to their stomach when the team under-performs.

I think there are several guys this team was expecting more from as leaders, and for the most part, I don't think they've necessarily met, let alone surpassed expectations.

But this is also a potential reason why this team so desperately needs its one or two guys to build around. Even if those guys aren't the most dynamic leaders in the world, they would help set the tone for the team --- which is missing on most nights.

Right now this is a team without an identity. They're not the hard-working lovable loser types, they're not the type that pushes a team but doesn't quite have the skill to beat them, and they're not quite the raw-skilled, but still unfocused type of team either.

Right now they're fairly easy to beat, aren't necessarily a hard-competing team, or an exceptionally skilled one. There's a number of support guys who could find success elsewhere, but the sum of several support guys does not equate to one or two tone-setters that everyone else falls in line around.

So again, while we've seen various posts about being a player or two away from being a contender, the reality is that there's quite a bit of work below the surface that has yet to be done.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Think so?
I called this FROM OVER A YEAR AGO.

I have been verbally crucified since first proposing the notion, and I don't consider it inappropriate to extend my peace and love to 95+% of the board, no hard feelings to them, only comeuppance as is appropriate.

PS - I'll deal with it on my own timetable, but my adamant insistence on speaking this truth [now proven to be correct as to a preliminary degree, and to which multiple other posters have said I was right] is the basis for my being banned from the free agent thread.
I won't discuss that further here and now,
but given that while I am correct on the merits,
my remarks are fully justified.

One assist and you are proven correct?

Truly insane.

As always an entire page of words when you couldve summed it up in 2 sentences but you like to appear smarter than everyone by using unnessecary vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad