Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Columbus | 01/13/19 - 6PM - MSG, NHL-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Quinn essentially called them all soft.

And Quinn is 100% right! This is exactly the issue I have with this rebuild right now. So few players in this roster seem hungry— and it’s filled with 20 something year olds. If they are not hungry now, get rid of them— plain and simple. Buch is so incredibly weak along the boards and horrific in the defensive end, that he’s got no chance of being a meaningful memeber of this team long term. Several others are horrid too- including all of the defense, that this team is so far from having any “core” to build around.

This last stretch of 6 losses in 7 games is exactly what to expect from this trash heap. I really hope the Rangers dump all but Mica, Kreider, Howden, Fast,Strome and Brady( although I’d get rid of him too if the contract wars not so bad) as the rest of these guys have seriously flawed games. Chytil and Pionk should be in the minors developing good habits, not lazy and soft habits as are displayed by most on this roster!

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know that almost the entire board went against me on this one, and it is too early to do a Stewie Griffin 'victory is mine!' impression. However, my point IS proven.
A very isolated snapshot, but I said, clearly, give Nieves + Kreider some time to work together and get that familiar chemistry.

I do not have ill will for 95%+ of the board who simply felt compelled to disagree with me as an honest matter of difference of opinion.

Even where we disagreed, nearly all of you agreed with my insistence that there is no reason, ZERO, to not at least try and prove the experiment one way or the other.

However, there is a handful here -- you know who you are -- you are the gutless wonders who disagree with me if I say water is wet.
At the appropriate time I will call you out with a measured statement that you deserve.

I especially want the mental giants who said, to effect, that there was no way, I repeat, not even the slightest possibility, that Nieves, a 2nd round selection for us, could possibly be more than a 4th rounder if that, that I am calling you out.
I give as good as I get if I choose to go there.
get out the forks and prepare for some humble pie, with a slice of contrition, and a dash of bending, buckling and breaking; YOU have earned it.

This post made my morning. Thank you, @bernmeister for this (after Nieves literally stumbled into an assist on Kreider’s goal)!

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Anyone who has 3 minutes of free time I would suggest watching Quinns postgame on nhl.com. He tells it exactly how it is and doesnt hold back. I loved the part where he says 'I wish we could have a practice where I throw pucks in the corner and we see who comes out with it'

For a team with a lot of young players they dont play very hungry. They just dont play with enough grit and willingness to battle it out.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
We're so soft. Teams continually get into seams on us. Earlier in the season, we were very good in slot protection. Now we look like an AV squad

Our guys in front of the net look like chickens with their heads cut off. I get that it’s not easy for a six-foot defender to outmuscle a power forward, but we’re talking about blatantly missed assignments and poor stickwork. Just terrible.

Reactions: will1066

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
This is where I disagree. I think the Rangers played pretty hard tonight. They're just not very good.

I didn’t necessarily mean that they weren’t physically trying: they generally were. They just made a lot of boneheaded plays. You can’t be all there if your opponent gets close to 20 shots against you in a single period (for example).

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Anyone who has 3 minutes of free time I would suggest watching Quinns postgame on nhl.com. He tells it exactly how it is and doesnt hold back. I loved the part where he says 'I wish we could have a practice where I throw pucks in the corner and we see who comes out with it'

For a team with a lot of young players they dont play very hungry. They just dont play with enough grit and willingness to battle it out.

Its going to be a long rebuild. I wont be shocked if we see another 7-year drought from the post season.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Yeah, I don't see it, especially since we're on track for a top 3 pick this season

He'll, as shitty as we we're not even completely out of it this season

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not sure how many of these loses I can watch. I just can’t get excited to root for a tank it just feels wrong. It’s even starting to take the fun out when one of my favorite players scores.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lol you said Boo had 1st line upside.

Appreciate the kind word, but actually I have been measured and clear here.
Boo does have some, not outrageous, upside and we won't know how significant that is until it gets tapped.
However, as to 1C, that is only on the basis of him pivoting Kreider, who as ILW is the anchor of that line establishing what is top line.
Not saying Nieves is 1C in a vacuum
Saying that the better the complementary Ws on his line, the better not only will Boo show as to production, but possibly the better results those linemates will show.

Again, w/Kravtsov here next yr, likely as 1C, Boo drops down.
Hayes doing a Chapman and returning is our 2C
Things not settled, but I could see Howden at 3LW w/Nieves at 3C, they get a righty w/some scoring. Current best fit perhaps Strome, except he prefers pivot. But speed kills, and that is something to keep in mind.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This post made my morning. Thank you, @bernmeister for this (after Nieves literally stumbled into an assist on Kreider’s goal)!

Not so much a stumble, look again.
As others noted, he literally took the puck over the blue line, got knocked off, recovered, and managed to do a nice, soft set up to CK.

A similar example of using his speed and skating to hook up a finisher, Chytil, was in the immediately prior game.

My point is proven, and will be clearer still when, as I made prerequisite, Boo gets enuf quality practice time w/Kreider to develop familiarity + comfort level.

to quote Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody:
open your eyes
look up to skies and see...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Helps when you are at home though. Line changes, crowd to pick you up. Rangers didnt have that. Agree though, if he continues to chastise, he may lose ears.

You’d rather have those games at home, but you can’t really fall on that excuse when you were the more rested team, got into Columbus at a reasonable time, etc.

It was 3 in 4 and 4 in 6 for both teams. But it wasn’t an energy thing as much as it was a battle thing, which Quinn was 10000% right about. I think it’s a bit of a losing fight as he just doesn’t have the type of roster to play the way he wants to play, but they got smushed yesterday, the final score was much kinder than it should have been, zero issue with him calling it out and a breath of fresh air after the last clown we had coaching this team.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I mean, it was a nice assist but this just seems a little bit over the top....:laugh:

Think so?
I called this FROM OVER A YEAR AGO.

I have been verbally crucified since first proposing the notion, and I don't consider it inappropriate to extend my peace and love to 95+% of the board, no hard feelings to them, only comeuppance as is appropriate.

PS - I'll deal with it on my own timetable, but my adamant insistence on speaking this truth [now proven to be correct as to a preliminary degree, and to which multiple other posters have said I was right] is the basis for my being banned from the free agent thread.
I won't discuss that further here and now,
but given that while I am correct on the merits,
my remarks are fully justified.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's not that they dont work or are lazy. They are way overmatched. They are not types who go through people. They take the finesse approach to lots of things
They do, and simply dont have the talent for that. Leave that to the Crosby's and McDavid's of the world. Look at the talent the "Columbuses" have (I like that) their "excess talent" just pushes and gets the puck to the net. Guys like Jenner, Anderson and Foligno are tough to play against. Camping in front and "will their way" into scoring tough goals. That starts with their Captain.
This is the type of play Quinn wants from his team. We obviously arent super talented, but if they FORCE the issue, and "won't be denied" that will benefit them. We arent Calgary, Tampa or Toronto and need to understand that. Baby steps.

Reactions: JHS and will1066

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I gave Shattenkirk credit for his game last Islander game, this one is the opposite.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Yea because One of the Thachuk brothers would absolutely ruin this team...

We need grit, useful grit. Think a young Wayne Simmons. We need to throw the body more
Agreed, I think there's a difference between tuffness and toughness. Last night saw just plain old domination. Columbus won nearly every puck battle for 55 or so minutes, they kept pucks in the NYR zone, they outskated and out hustled. Someone being in their way didn't stop them. Different from banging for banging's sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
They do, and simply dont have the talent for that. Leave that to the Crosby's and McDavid's of the world. Look at the talent the "Columbuses" have (I like that) their "excess talent" just pushes and gets the puck to the net. Guys like Jenner, Anderson and Foligno are tough to play against. Camping in front and "will their way" into scoring tough goals. That starts with their Captain.
This is the type of play Quinn wants from his team. We obviously arent super talented, but if they FORCE the issue, and "won't be denied" that will benefit them. We arent Calgary, Tampa or Toronto and need to understand that. Baby steps.

Agreed. It stems over from the AV era. Some of it is also that they know they don't snipe well and must rely on lateral slot-line plays. Therefore, lots of east-west play and passing up shots in hopes of making that extra pass for a wide-open net chance. Sadly, when these plays don't work, they're disastrous because the majority of the league is transition hockey. There's a time and place for fancy plays, such as a 3 on 1 rush. But then, they also shoot wide on these rushes that go the other way too as a result.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not so much a stumble, look again.
As others noted, he literally took the puck over the blue line, got knocked off, recovered, and managed to do a nice, soft set up to CK.

A similar example of using his speed and skating to hook up a finisher, Chytil, was in the immediately prior game.

My point is proven, and will be clearer still when, as I made prerequisite, Boo gets enuf quality practice time w/Kreider to develop familiarity + comfort level.

to quote Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody:
open your eyes
look up to skies and see...

Have you heard of a saying about a broken clock?

If I were you I'd bite my tongue and be patient to see if maybe my extremely outlandish fantasy could take at least a partial semblance of truth (like Nieves being a regular NHLer) in the real world.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Not sure how many of these loses I can watch. I just can’t get excited to root for a tank it just feels wrong. It’s even starting to take the fun out when one of my favorite players scores.

I'm at the point where I'm rooting for 7-6 losses so that we can at least have fun while we lose. It's great seeing some of the young guys look good. ADA last night was wonderful to watch even against top competition. The pieces are coming along, its just going to be a little while longer

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I'm at the point where I'm rooting for 7-6 losses so that we can at least have fun while we lose. It's great seeing some of the young guys look good. ADA last night was wonderful to watch even against top competition. The pieces are coming along, its just going to be a little while longer
ADA without a doubt has the highest ceiling on any defenseman playing pro hockey for us. I think K'andre Miller might be a bit higher but at this point its insane to not play him every night and see if he can reach that potential

Reactions: leetch99

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I love how a single assist on a Kreider goal is some divine prophecy finally taking shape. You know who else had an assist on Kreider's goal last night? Georgiev. If Quinn doesnt get Georgiev more 5 on 5 time with Kreider in the next few games I will be calling for his head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad