OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Congrats to KC, but Kelce was the real winner winning Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
IDK I feel like Powers-Johnson and Frazier are getting some mentions here. It's just a very unsexy position :laugh:

What really surprised me is that Nate Herbig is making $5.4m this year. That's kind of expensive for your 3rd guard/backup center. Would actually be like league average spending for a starting center. We got pretty lucky last year with no OL injuries so we never got to see him play, but I know he got snaps at C with the Jets.

How much worse can he be than Kendrick Green and Mason Cole? Even if we draft a guy early, he might start for a few games anyway like Chuks over Broderick.
That's sorta my point! We cannot afford to have another Kendrick Green scenario. JPJ, Barton and Frazier are seemingly polished. Sure, you gotta take a shot there, and having Herbig as a stop gap is fine. But I believe any of those three could start. IF Green could they can, and all should be decisively better.

Don't know much about Georgia's Sedrick Van Pran, but he's a clear no 4 on that list based on everything I've seen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
AS generally goes with 2 WR sets. If we're trying to get Boyd or Williams one would think they'd be on the field a lot, otherwise they're not likely to come here.

AS very much wants to bully the line of scrimmage, we got a lot of work to do there before we worry about adding another WR, prov
Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 12.05.53 AM.png

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
IDK I feel like Powers-Johnson and Frazier are getting some mentions here. It's just a very unsexy position :laugh:

What really surprised me is that Nate Herbig is making $5.4m this year. That's kind of expensive for your 3rd guard/backup center. Would actually be like league average spending for a starting center. We got pretty lucky last year with no OL injuries so we never got to see him play, but I know he got snaps at C with the Jets.

How much worse can he be than Kendrick Green and Mason Cole? Even if we draft a guy early, he might start for a few games anyway like Chuks over Broderick.

Who? Never heard of them. Sounds like they played rugby in the 70s. You sure you're in the right thread? :nod:

Real talk, I 100% believe the offensive line should be a priority - possibly the priority this summer. I think it's absurd to try to install this run-heavy offence without doing so, and that goes double looking at the QBs they've got/were expected to had. Part of the reason I'm less chipper than everyone else about this is that I'd have very much liked to see them address the OL in free agency and they haven't and, at this point, seem unlikely to do so.

Could you get by with a Herbig? Maybe, but if this is going to the be the engine of the team, get by shouldn't be the aim.

And it is a matter of time before this team is turning to an inexperienced QB who needs all the help he can get and again, that starts with OL. That should be got in place now.

But, with all this said, the team has other needs too. I'd hate to pass by a WR that can be a game changer for eight years for a just every-day OL. Or DL, or CB, or whatever.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Who? Never heard of them. Sounds like they played rugby in the 70s. You sure you're in the right thread? :nod:

Real talk, I 100% believe the offensive line should be a priority - possibly the priority this summer. I think it's absurd to try to install this run-heavy offence without doing so, and that goes double looking at the QBs they've got/were expected to had. Part of the reason I'm less chipper than everyone else about this is that I'd have very much liked to see them address the OL in free agency and they haven't and, at this point, seem unlikely to do so.

Could you get by with a Herbig? Maybe, but if this is going to the be the engine of the team, get by shouldn't be the aim.

And it is a matter of time before this team is turning to an inexperienced QB who needs all the help he can get and again, that starts with OL. That should be got in place now.

But, with all this said, the team has other needs too. I'd hate to pass by a WR that can be a game changer for eight years for a just every-day OL. Or DL, or CB, or whatever.
In reference to Herbig keep this in mind, Cole, who was porous in that position played over him with no hesitation by the coaches. IMO that signals they don't think much of Herbig as a starter at center, or OL for that matter. I legitimately believe the OL including Center has to be addressed with 20 AND one of 51, 84 or 98.

Unless by some miracle you can draft CB Mitchell, than you take those guys at 51 and 84.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Gerr is big time. Love seeing him on the Eisen Show and such.

Also, if they could draft Olu that would be insane. He is a stud.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You can’t treat everyone the “same” in management or you’re not a good leader. Different people have different needs, their own direction/goals and ways to achieve them.

Well, you also need to have boundaries everyone needs to follow, or some might think they are special snowflakes who don’t have to follow any rules… now Anthony from accounting is twerking on the conference room desk without a shirt on….

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
With VJ and CA3 We only really need one more WR. The idea of getting two doesn't make much sense. If you get Williams or Boyd, you're done with the exception of taking a WR on day three. There's too many holes to fill to add another WR. It's just not necessary. Get one in round 4 or 6 as a depth pick up.

Pickens/Free agent or trade/VJ/ CA3 and a later round WR that's good enough.
Yeah I suggested this a page/day or two back. The idea being that the organization believes at least one of the "holes" is fillable already, without having to add in FA or the draft. Now, WR would need a single add, but not two players, in this scenario.

This is not to suggest I personally agree. I'd much rather CA3 and VJ be 4-5 than 3-4. But the FO could be OK with it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I suggested this a page/day or two back. The idea being that the organization believes at least one of the "holes" is fillable already, without having to add in FA or the draft. Now, WR would need a single add, but not two players, in this scenario.

This is not to suggest I personally agree. I'd much rather CA3 and VJ be 4-5 than 3-4. But the FO could be OK with it.
Arthur Smith seldom uses 3 and almost never 4 WR sets. This isn't air coryell. lol

I would think we'd see a lot more double TE sets. Like you that's not my preference either, but with the other areas we need to shore up, One more high end WR should do it.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah. He threw what was a tantrum this time...
Honestly, we can't just jettison every NFL player that might be a headache now and then. Especially with a guy as talented as he is. If we did that we wouldn't be able to field a team. As far as I'm concerned we should just look the other way with the exception of criminal activity. And even then It'd have to be bad. Guys with his skillset are rare and he should be treated accordingly. To this point the worst thing he does was pout, or what not block on one play? Pretty sure that pattern of behavior didn't continue. But if it did that's life.

I think he’d be silly to sign anywhere without doing all the visits at this point.
If we decided we want him lets do it late 70's style, get him a limo and a bag of money. Worked in the past.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I would not be excited about taking Guyton. Hope that doesn't happen. Would much rather have Mitchell, JPJ and even trade down and get Barton or Lejean.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We are going to get a ridiculous football player at 20 - a player we wouldn't have had a shot at in a normal draft year. I'd love to see them get more picks somehow and really plug these holes in the lineup and be a serious threat. If they can fix the OL and bring in a CB...this team can compete with pretty much anyone on paper.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

That Guyton dude reads a lot like Jones. He may not be the best T in his class, but his ceiling very well may be way higher than anyone else taken ahead of him. Guyton would also allow Jones to slide over to where he wants to play, which I think should ultimately be the goal unless we can land a Fashanu or Alt.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Guyton is Raw, in senior bowl drills he wasn't all that impressive. Not bad but...

He likely doesn't start until mid way through the season. I'd prefer someone more polished. If it's JPJ at center he's ready day one!

Reactions: JTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad