OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Congrats to KC, but Kelce was the real winner winning Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1710813639152.png

Reactions: T1K

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Just catching up, are we seriously debating trading Pickens now too? :laugh:

Outside of Puka Nacua I'm not sure there's a better WR contract over the next 2 years than Pickens.

You don't have to put up with Diontae's shit because his production decreased while his pay increased.

I don’t think it makes sense to trade him this year, but there’s pretty much zero chance he doesn’t demand a new contract next summer. So I do think finding his replacement now is a smart move assuming they’ve seen enough from him to feel uncomfortable handing him a big deal.

And then next summer he gets dealt for picks.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Pickens could be the next AJ Brown. I’m not really interested in trading him before seeing how he looks in Smith’s offense.

Reactions: td_ice

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am generally in favour of gambling on Pickens' talent as I think you'd be selling at a low point right now but getting Aiyuk for him would represent a good return.

Just catching up, are we seriously debating trading Pickens now too? :laugh:

Outside of Puka Nacua I'm not sure there's a better WR contract over the next 2 years than Pickens.

You don't have to put up with Diontae's shit because his production decreased while his pay increased.

Hey, got anything better to talk about? :naughty:

More seriously - the Steelers are showing interest in WR1 talents. They have been ruthless about guys perceived as problems in the locker room meltdown. Seems timely to speculate just what they think about Pickens and how attached they are.

Trade speculation seems to be a bit far-fetched from that starting point but I can see why people think about cutting the cord. And if it happened, would we really be that surprised?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pickens could be the next AJ Brown. I’m not really interested in trading him before seeing how he looks in Smith’s offense.

My concerns with Pickens aren't with talent, it's with his head. That's why I'm a bit concerned with targeting someone like Aiyuk, is Pickens going to have a temper tantrum with being demoted to WR2?

They should just sign someone like Boyd to be WR3 and draft a guy in the 2nd round to be WR2 while keeping Pickens.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Honestly, and I've seen Swann, Stalworth, Lipps, Smith, Ward, Holmes, AB etc!

And Pickens might have the most talent. He has so much God given talent and potential there's no way I want to give up on this guy, he's special!

Reactions: T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The difference between pickens and the rest is they didnt want to be here.

Nothing to suggest Pickens wants to leave

That's what the Steelers are telling us. But I doubt they're telling us everything and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're not telling us some vital context to those decisions.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah this is by far what they should be doing. Either draft a WR in the 2nd round or sign someone in free agency and save the picks.

I don't think that's it, it's that he's a diva who seems inevitable to cause issues.

So was AB and DJ etc etc but until they go nuclear and force their way out they stick around.

Pickens is an idiot thats going to occasionally act like an idiot. But fans and the media care waaay more than the team does until each idiot wants out. Then i stops being worth it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So was AB and DJ etc etc but until they go nuclear and force their way out they stick around.

Pickens is an idiot thats going to occasionally act like an idiot. But fans and the media care waaay more than the team does until each idiot wants out. Then i stops being worth it.

In the past, you would be completely right. I just don't know that Khan is operating this team like Colbert did in the past.

Did DJ do anything to go nuclear and force his way out? Him being traded seemed like it was much more pre-emptive than it was in the past.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
My concerns with Pickens aren't with talent, it's with his head. That's why I'm a bit concerned with targeting someone like Aiyuk, is Pickens going to have a temper tantrum with being demoted to WR2?

They should just sign someone like Boyd to be WR3 and draft a guy in the 2nd round to be WR2 while keeping Pickens.
I agree a rookie makes a lot more sense. Our track record of drafting WRs is elite. They should lean into that strength. I’m less concerned with Pickens ego, but it’s a fair point.

Reactions: td_ice

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Feel pretty confident in saying that Pickens will be thrilled with our QB upgrade. Let's not overdo the cleansing to the locker room. He has superstar skill, absolutely you don't move him. He's arguably the most talented guy on the team! He'd have to kill someone before I'd move him.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Feel pretty confident in saying that Pickens will be thrilled with our QB upgrade. Let's not overdo the cleansing to the locker room. He has superstar skill, absolutely you don't move him. He's arguably the most talented guy on the team! He'd have to kill someone before I'd move him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
With VJ and CA3 We only really need one more WR. The idea of getting two doesn't make much sense. If you get Williams or Boyd, you're done with the exception of taking a WR on day three. There's too many holes to fill to add another WR. It's just not necessary. Get one in round 4 or 6 as a depth pick up.

Pickens/Free agent or trade/VJ/ CA3 and a later round WR that's good enough.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
In the past, you would be completely right. I just don't know that Khan is operating this team like Colbert did in the past.

Did DJ do anything to go nuclear and force his way out? Him being traded seemed like it was much more pre-emptive than it was in the past.

From what i understand the on field bs this year with him plus them not looking to extend him is what made him want out.

He did the two things that push a guy out.

1. Let the bs effect on field performance
2. Wanted to be out (which presumably would effect future performance)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

It's said Johnson asked out.

But that came after there'd been contract talks. We don't know what Khan's offer was.

Some reporters said it was about him being a problem. Some reporters said it was solely about Johnson wanting out.

Feels like a choose your own truth situation. I'm skeptical that the Steelers only moved him because he asked for it and did nothing to nudge him that way.

Also, while I believe Pickens is a massive physical talent, I don't think there's a WR in the world worth putting up with maximum ego at maximum money for. There's too many dudes who can do the job and they don't stir the drink enough.

I also do slightly wonder whether Pickens has the mental talent to match the physical talent and become a massive star.

But that's kind of besides the point. It's whether he'll grow up enough to be worth the money he'll want.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We're getting Mired in Pickens unfounded speculation, let's worry about expanding and improving the roster. Keep dem good vibes arollin!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
With VJ and CA3 We only really need one more WR. The idea of getting two doesn't make much sense. If you get Williams or Boyd, you're done with the exception of taking a WR on day three. There's too many holes to fill to add another WR. It's just not necessary. Get one in round 4 or 6 as a depth pick up.

Pickens/Free agent or trade/VJ/ CA3 and a later round WR that's good enough.

Can't agree with that. Austin and Jefferson should be WR4 on a good org. A guy like Boyd is possibly ageing into WR3.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Patrick Queen says Jaylen Warren was the toughest back to tackle.

The difference between pickens and the rest is they didnt want to be here.

Nothing to suggest Pickens wants to leave

Aside from him asking out this past season, but then walking back his comments?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Can't agree with that. Austin and Jefferson should be WR4 on a good org. A guy like Boyd is possibly ageing into WR3.
AS generally goes with 2 WR sets. If we're trying to get Boyd or Williams one would think they'd be on the field a lot, otherwise they're not likely to come here.

AS very much wants to bully the line of scrimmage, we got a lot of work to do there before we worry about adding another WR, provided of course we aptly address the matter in free agency.

Aside from him asking out this past season, but then walking back his comments?
When did he say that?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We got two QB's who like to hold onto the ball longer than most. Amazes me and (though they are upgrades) just how little the center position and OL in general is being talked about here. IF we don't strengthen that, it won't matter much as to who we put in place in the skilled positions because our QB's will get wrecked!

Reactions: ChaosAgent

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
We got two QB's who like to hold onto the ball longer than most. Amazes me and (though they are upgrades) just how little the center position and OL in general is being talked about here. IF we don't strengthen that, it won't matter much as to who we put in place in the skilled positions because our QB's will get wrecked!
IDK I feel like Powers-Johnson and Frazier are getting some mentions here. It's just a very unsexy position :laugh:

What really surprised me is that Nate Herbig is making $5.4m this year. That's kind of expensive for your 3rd guard/backup center. Would actually be like league average spending for a starting center. We got pretty lucky last year with no OL injuries so we never got to see him play, but I know he got snaps at C with the Jets.

How much worse can he be than Kendrick Green and Mason Cole? Even if we draft a guy early, he might start for a few games anyway like Chuks over Broderick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad