The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Nope, but in this day and age, simple accusations are enough for people to have their entire lives ruined.
I just can't believe UT would even entertain the idea after the Title IX sexual assault case that caused such an outrage last year. Not to mention the Baylor stuff where coaches also ignored sexual assault allegations. So tone deaf.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I just can't believe UT would even entertain the idea after the Title IX sexual assault case that caused such an outrage last year. Not to mention the Baylor stuff where coaches also ignored sexual assault allegations. So tone deaf.
Because an investigation could not find any evidence. If someone accused Saban of that, and no evidence was turned up, do you think that someone would refuse to hire him in a year or two? Not saying that Saban and Schiano are the same quality of coach, just using the example to make a point.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Even if he is innocent in that, there is still the fact that he is a mediocre coach who is a control freak and whose players dislike him greatly. We just had that coach in Butch Jones.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Nope, but in this day and age, simple accusations are enough for people to have their entire lives ruined.

It's been happening for a long time, there's just social media now. 20 years ago a friend if mine who ran a daycare was accused of molesting a little girl, his photo was on the front page of the Tennessean. He turned over his security footage to police who investigated and cleared him, but he still had to shut down because all of his families withdrew their kids during the week between accusation and being cleared.

I imagine it wasn't the only similar case ever, it's just that you didn't hear about it. Politicians are the same way, they've always had accusers, but usually it was confined to local news and didn't spread around the globe in a matter of minutes. I bet the Penn State stuff would have been bigger, sooner if those young men had an outlet like Facebook when it first happened.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
And not to mention it wasn't even a direct accusation. It was at best a 3rd hand account that he may have been involved.
Exactly his life if now ruined due to 3rd hand information, plus McQuery was trying to get some of the heat off of him, because of his involvement in the crime. Sorta "I am not the only one that saw something and did not report it"

Even if he is innocent in that, there is still the fact that he is a mediocre coach who is a control freak and whose players dislike him greatly. We just had that coach in Butch Jones.
And that is the REAL reason everyone went Bat crazy when he was hired. The Penn St stuff became an excuse because the fanbase did not want him. I just wonder what the fans would have done if Currie had have trotted out Pruitt on that day.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I saw this from the Titans writer from the four-letter network:

"Marcus Mariota started his Wednesday presser by apologizing to reporters in Arizona for his behavior during last Sunday's press conference. Mariota said Sunday he was "pissed off" with his performance in the 12-7 loss to the Cardinals. He mentioned his mom scolded him about it."

.... it's no secret that he comes from a great family but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that anytime he's actually upset about something.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I have no dog in the fight but I'd like to see some concrete proof that Schiano's life is "ruined" before I'll accept that characterization.... has he been fired by OSU?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I have no dog in the fight but I'd like to see some concrete proof that Schiano's life is "ruined" before I'll accept that characterization.... has he been fired by OSU?
There's no proof and I guarantee it's not true. It's just some sympathy angle from a very small number of Vols haters within one state in the country wanting to make the Orange look bad by saying the backlash ruined Greg Schiano the person. Much like Vols fans used Penn State as a convenient reason to revolt against the hire, anti-Vols people used the backlash as a convenient false narrative that the guy's life was ruined.

Reactions: triggrman

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I saw this from the Titans writer from the four-letter network:

"Marcus Mariota started his Wednesday presser by apologizing to reporters in Arizona for his behavior during last Sunday's press conference. Mariota said Sunday he was "pissed off" with his performance in the 12-7 loss to the Cardinals. He mentioned his mom scolded him about it."

.... it's no secret that he comes from a great family but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that anytime he's actually upset about something.
He is an easy kid to like as a person. I don’t trust his QB play at all, but him being “too nice” was a red flag for him at the draft.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
total bullshit. He took the one if the worst football team in the country to multiple bowl games and totally turned that program around, who cares if some but hurt NFL players fit there feelings hurt by him, it doesn't change that he was a great college coach.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
total bull****. He took the one if the worst football team in the country to multiple bowl games and totally turned that program around, who cares if some but hurt NFL players fit there feelings hurt by him, it doesn't change that he was a great college coach.

Rutgers is in the Big 10 in large part to Schiano and what he did with the football program.

Reactions: Viqsi and triggrman

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The narrative of "even if he is innocent" is complete BS. The dude is innocent until someone proves otherwise. Certain Vols fans basically tainted his name to the point where he will likely never get another shot at a head coaching gig anywhere near the level of the UT program.

Granted, based on how that search went, I'm not too sure just what the actual level of the Vols football coach is in reality land.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
total bull****. He took the one if the worst football team in the country to multiple bowl games and totally turned that program around, who cares if some but hurt NFL players fit there feelings hurt by him, it doesn't change that he was a great college coach.
If he was that great he wouldn't be an offensive coordinator in college coming from the pro's, Nick Sabban he ain't.

He had what amounted to one really good season in a weak Big East, otherwise his career record in college is abysmal.

Considering how many teams need coaches every year, a guy coming from the pros should have had zero issues finding a head coaching job, apparently someone other than Tennessee had some flags going up as well.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So what? .500 teams can get in bowl games. 7-5 seasons in a crap Big East don't impress me much.

was going to come and post exactly this. Being a bowl team isn't really much to crow about any more... 80 freaking teams every year, out of 129... thats almost as bad as when the NHL had 16 out of 21 teams making the playoffs

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
was going to come and post exactly this. Being a bowl team isn't really much to crow about any more... 80 freaking teams every year, out of 129... thats almost as bad as when the NHL had 16 out of 21 teams making the playoffs
There was a time just getting one meant something, but that hasn't been the case in a long time.

I mean I was reading up on their first bowl game season, their " big win " was against Pittsburgh. They haven't been good since Marino went to the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad