The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
Guess so, still makes you wonder why with all of the coaching changes why Tennessee is the only one apparently willing to offer him a job? It doesn't strike you as odd if he is that good?
How many new coaches got more than 1 offer?

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
I'm guessing Frost had several. Mullen had more than one. Not sure if he did but guessing Fisher could have gone about anywhere.
So 3 out of how many? Those other guys must have had large numbers of red flags as well!

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Guess so, still makes you wonder why with all of the coaching changes why Tennessee is the only one apparently willing to offer him a job? It doesn't strike you as odd if he is that good?
Maybe because he had been in talks with Tennessee for a while and no other school had offered him anything since they all knew he had already taken the Tennessee job. Then after all the crazies revolted the other openings had been filled or was close to being filled.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Basically everyone can admit Schiano wouldn't have been a fit. Even in strictly a football sense. Would have been a disaster and to be honest, piss on everyone else's opinion but UT people. We are the ones who ultimately have to deal with the results.

Reactions: Adz

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Basically everyone can admit Schiano wouldn't have been a fit. Even in strictly a football sense. Would have been a disaster and to be honest, piss on everyone else's opinion but UT people. We are the ones who ultimately have to deal with the results.
Tend to agree. If the fans dislike you right out of the gate it's not exactly the best way to start. Frankly he and the school are both better off.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
As a resident if this state, I want them to do well. After the way the baseball and football departments treated my son last year I have become a bit more of a fan. I was very impressed at the overall athletic facilities, and they just opened the gates to Neyland to let the boys run around for awhile. My daughter came very close to going to UTK, but has now opted for UTC instead.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Maybe because he had been in talks with Tennessee for a while and no other school had offered him anything since they all knew he had already taken the Tennessee job. Then after all the crazies revolted the other openings had been filled or was close to being filled.

Since the date of the Schiano/Vols meltdown, 16 jobs have been filled, and one more is open (Kent State), out of 21 total openings this fall.

So, when Tennessee and Schiano parted ways - 17 schools have had the opportunity to hire him - yet not a single interview as far as anyone can tell.

The more we learn, the more we see that this attempted hire was hatched by Currie (who tried to get him at KSU) and Haslam (who tried to hire him for the Browns by was talked out of it) for the purposes of hiring their mutual buddy. Not for any sound football reasons. That's why Vol fans went berserk.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Since the date of the Schiano/Vols meltdown, 16 jobs have been filled, and one more is open (Kent State), out of 21 total openings this fall.

So, when Tennessee and Schiano parted ways - 17 schools have had the opportunity to hire him - yet not a single interview as far as anyone can tell.

The more we learn, the more we see that this attempted hire was hatched by Currie (who tried to get him at KSU) and Haslam (who tried to hire him for the Browns by was talked out of it) for the purposes of hiring their mutual buddy. Not for any sound football reasons. That's why Vol fans went berserk.
How many major power 5 jobs was available? Does he or anyone else really want the Kent St. job? It also hurt him in getting another job since a 2nd hand rumor suddenly became national news. What was Florida St going to do? Interview him after his reputation was dragged though the mud. They destroyed his reputation and now it will be almost impossible for him to get a job. Other schools now have to worry about similar things happening when they consider him. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania didn't find him guilty of any thing, but because some redneck with spray paint writes it on a rock he's suddenly an accessory to child molestation. McQueary never knew what Schiano did in the 80's plus if they found out what McQueary had said was a lie then the star witness to the Sandusky trail's creditably comes into question and the entire trail is at risk.

Bigger picture UT fans didn't care one bit about the Penn St thing (would they have gripped if it was Gruden in the same situation) they didn't think it was a sexy hire, and wanted a bigger name. Schiano is a fine coach and would have won at UT. Better for me as a Vandy fan though. Plus fans have hated Currie from day one so anyone he hired was never going to be good enough. Had he hired Pruitt then they would have hated him also. Let UT deal with what I have had as a Vanderbilt fan my entire life 40+ years of perpetual losing and mediocrity. Hopefully it will humble an arrogant (at times) fanbase.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
San Francisco 49ers are a 1 point favorite at home against the titans. the titans have had a cupcake schedule and could still miss the playoffs. it's honestly pathetic. and i can't really say i disagree with the line with jimmy G starting for San francisco

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
San Francisco 49ers are a 1 point favorite at home against the titans. the titans have had a cupcake schedule and could still miss the playoffs. it's honestly pathetic. and i can't really say i disagree with the line with jimmy G starting for San francisco

Derek Morgan is out, and Taylor Lewan was injured last week, though I think he's supposed to start who knows if he'll finish the game or be very effective.

There's no result that would really surprise me other than maybe a shootout type of game. I could see a tight game going either way and I could see a blowout either way.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Vol hoops with a huge game tomorrow vs UNC. first ranked game in TBA since 2010.
Does not Kentucky play there every year along with Florida

Derek Morgan is out, and Taylor Lewan was injured last week, though I think he's supposed to start who knows if he'll finish the game or be very effective.

There's no result that would really surprise me other than maybe a shootout type of game. I could see a tight game going either way and I could see a blowout either way.
SF 38
Titanic 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->