The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I live in Knoxville. In Knoxville, the folks here follow a variety of sports:

Vol Football, Vol recruiting, Vol rumor mongering, Vol Spring Practice, Vol Summer workouts, Vol recruiting camp circuit, Vols in the preseason magazines, Vol new Nike gear season, and Vol fall training camp.

In all seriousness - the media in Knoxville is plugged in way beyond the point where anyone would deem reasonable. An 18 year old kid can tweet something ambiguous and 5 different media outlets are ready to murder each other to find out what it is.

It's very hard to keep a secret in Knoxville when it comes to the Vols.
I move to Crossville 13 years ago and all my local news comes from Knoxville. The lead anchors use term like "we" and "our" when describing the Vols. Not the sports anchor the Lead News anchor. Saturday night when the Vols lose newscast are like this:
"Welcome to Local 8 news, our Vols took it on the chin today vs Georgia as the Bulldogs posted a 31-0 victory" followed by a recap of the game then "on to some good news" "a 4 car accident on Interstate 40 has 3 people in the hospital with one in critical condition"

The fact a fanboy like Brent Hubbs has a local show covering the team is funny. He hosts one of the many "Sports extra" shows after the news. Hubbs was talking trash to Vandy players after a win vs UT a few years ago calling them "losers" on the air.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I move to Crossville 13 years ago and all my local news comes from Knoxville. The lead anchors use term like "we" and "our" when describing the Vols. Not the sports anchor the Lead News anchor. Saturday night when the Vols lose newscast are like this:
"Welcome to Local 8 news, our Vols took it on the chin today vs Georgia as the Bulldogs posted a 31-0 victory" followed by a recap of the game then "on to some good news" "a 4 car accident on Interstate 40 has 3 people in the hospital with one in critical condition"

The fact a fanboy like Brent Hubbs has a local show covering the team is funny. He hosts one of the many "Sports extra" shows after the news. Hubbs was talking trash to Vandy players after a win vs UT a few years ago calling them "losers" on the air.
Haha brent is extremely credible and professional. Stop talking bullshit. There is no way he would ever do what you are accusing him of. Volquest members talk trash about him all the time for being too unbiased.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Haha brent is extremely credible and professional. Stop talking bull****. There is no way he would ever do what you are accusing him of. Volquest members talk trash about him all the time for being too unbiased.
Hubbs is the Eddie Olczyk of Vol media anyone thinking he is unbiased are completely blinded by their Fanhood.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The most pathetic Titans game in a while, not counting the Dolphins game without Mariota. I get it that there were injuries on both sides of the ball, but they shouldn't have that much of an affect. Marcus was horrible and that in turn killed the run game.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
It was pretty obvious the Titans were all smoke and mirrors and the 8-4 record was a mirage. I was hoping they would manage to win the division and have a home playoff game so the Preds could reciprocate the support the Titans showed last spring, but now I think it would almost be better if they lost these last 3 and missed the playoffs to maybe force some changes. Worst thing for them would be to scrape into the 6 seed with a 9-7 record... many would still think this was "progress"

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Mularkey and Robiskie need to be kicked to the curb. Some mind-blowingly bad play calls today.
Hopefully they lose vs the 49ers next week and finish 8-8 and they can clean house by trading Mariota for a sack of footballs, and get rid of Coach BS and Robinson

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
For a team as shitty as the Titans have been, you'd think their fans would realize how much worse things could be. They are 8 and f***ing 5. Robinson is probably the best thing the team has right now. Titans fans are hilarious. News flash: You aren't the Patriots. Stepping stones and building blocks are the keys to success. And I don't want to hear any bullshit about how they're a "bad" 8-5 team. If you wanna clean house and go back to 3-13 then go for it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
For a team as ****ty as the Titans have been, you'd think their fans would realize how much worse things could be. They are 8 and ****ing 5. Robinson is probably the best thing the team has right now. Titans fans are hilarious. News flash: You aren't the Patriots. Stepping stones and building blocks are the keys to success. And I don't want to hear any bull**** about how they're a "bad" 8-5 team. If you wanna clean house and go back to 3-13 then go for it.
This team was a preseason top choice by experts and has the talent to be better. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
For a team as ****ty as the Titans have been, you'd think their fans would realize how much worse things could be. They are 8 and ****ing 5. Robinson is probably the best thing the team has right now. Titans fans are hilarious. News flash: You aren't the Patriots. Stepping stones and building blocks are the keys to success. And I don't want to hear any bull**** about how they're a "bad" 8-5 team. If you wanna clean house and go back to 3-13 then go for it.
Titans 8 wins
Indy twice
Jax
Houston
Cleveland
Baltimore
Cincy
Seattle
3 teams with winning records

Loses
Arizona
Houston (blowout)
Pittsburgh (blowout)
Oakland
Miami
2 teams with winning records

They have played 5 teams with winning records total. This team is a mirage and would be 4-9 playing a real schedule. So there is no improvement if not for the luck of playing bad teams.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This team was a preseason top choice by experts and has the talent to be better. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.
I'm not a Titans fan so as an objective observer I know it's better to be 9-7 following yet another crap season then 8-5 through 13 games than the train wreck it was before Robinson took over and, as weird as it is, Mularkey became HC. I'm not saying Mularkey or Mariota are gods but I'm pretty sure things were terrible before they got settled with the team and that they're playing important games in December as it stands now. Sure, fans would like a team to live up to its perceived potential but it's not that easy. The reluctance to accept success is just weird to me.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I agree on the coaches but Mariota isn't being developed

My only problem, and the reason I've been reluctant to call for coaching change, is that I'm not sure Mariota would benefit from another coaching change. Three head coaches and offensive coordinators in four seasons would be terribly difficult for a young QB to develop under.

That's not to say I disagree that the coaches aren't the best. But I think you have to stick with Mularkey/Robiske/Mariota until you absolutely cannot justify any longer and then go with a clean sweep. And hopefully they can figure something out with what we've got. Fisher's teams went 8-8 for three straight seasons and everyone wanted him and his bland offense kicked to the curb, then suddenly they became the best team in the league, so as harsh as today was, stick with it for now.

The season isn't lost with one game, and I dont think you accidentally luck into the 8-4 record leasing up to this game. But for whatever reason, today was just bad all around.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Titans 8 wins
Indy twice
Jax
Houston
Cleveland
Baltimore
Cincy
Seattle
3 teams with winning records

Loses
Arizona
Houston (blowout)
Pittsburgh (blowout)
Oakland
Miami
2 teams with winning records

They have played 5 teams with winning records total. This team is a mirage and would be 4-9 playing a real schedule. So there is no improvement if not for the luck of playing bad teams.
So let me get this straight. They're 3-2 against teams with winning records, and therefore if they played more teams with winning records they would be 4-9.

...makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So let me get this straight. They're 3-2 against teams with winning records, and therefore if they played more teams with winning records they would be 4-9.

...makes perfect sense.
2 of the teams they beat with “winning” records could finish with losing or a .500 records and Jacksonville is 9-4 playing an even easier schedule.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
If Mularkey could game plan and coach as well as he can make excuses for Mariota, the Titans would be undefeated.

Reactions: Montross
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->