The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Impromptu poll how many people do you know that are Alabama football fans and Kentucky Basketball fans? I know several like that

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I don't understand how you can be a fan of one school for one sport and another school for another sport. Especially two teams in the same conference.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I don't understand how you can be a fan of one school for one sport and another school for another sport. Especially two teams in the same conference.

Ditto. I mean, I can kinda understand being a fan of one NBA team and a completely different NFL team (say, Bulls/Cowboys), but two different schools?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Ditto. I mean, I can kinda understand being a fan of one NBA team and a completely different NFL team (say, Bulls/Cowboys), but two different schools?

I really don't see the difference, particularly if you didn't attend either of the schools. At that point they're just local (or maybe not even that!) organizations you follow.

I've known plenty of people who adored the Lady Vols and hated everything else about UTK sports.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
People who just don't care that much. There are several schools I "root for" but they're spread across the country and are all in different conferences.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Impromptu poll how many people do you know that are Alabama football fans and Kentucky Basketball fans? I know several like that

exactly... not me, no way no how. the only other college basketball team I root for is Murray State, and its not like they will ever be a threat to UK

My daughter went to Alabama for a semester before transferring to UK, and I swear I think she did that just so she can legitimately cheer for both...

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
You are way, way behind on this story. I think I heard about it over 2 weeks ago.

I would not have even known about it if ESPN had not ran the story last night. It is not often I watch ESPN but there was a game on I was interested in. So two weeks ago last night it does not matter.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Miracles.

The miracle for me was that I actually got to see it! I was a college student--senior year--and honestly I don't think I knew The Olympics was actually happening. I know, hard to believe in this culture but things were just different in 1980. My mother loved that "cute little Jim Craig" so we watched the hockey game together. I did not realize the significance at the time, it was just a really cool win. Go USA!

I wondered for YEARS how I had happened to see that game--I could visualize myself sitting on my grandparents' back room couch with Mama but couldn't figure out why I was in Alabama during what would have been midterms (we were on the quarter system). But then I saw "Miracle". It put things in perspective for me. I had begun dating Mr. Adz on Feb. 9, 1980--which was the day the US played Russia in that exhibition game and got creamed. That date was on the marquee of I think Madison Square Garden. AHA! I knew that Bebe had died a week and a half after we started dating. So I was finally able to piece it together. I was with Mama because we were in Athens for Bebe's funeral--and that gave my mother a lot of happiness on a day filled with sadness for her. A Miracle indeed!

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I would not have even known about it if ESPN had not ran the story last night. It is not often I watch ESPN but there was a game on I was interested in. So two weeks ago last night it does not matter.

Typical ESPN still talking NFL and recycling stories. They honestly no longer care about anything but NFL/LeBron related. It is pathetic they have 5 channels and only cover two sports.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Typical ESPN still talking NFL and recycling stories. They honestly no longer care about anything but NFL/LeBron related. It is pathetic they have 5 channels and only cover two sports.

Is there a reason to watch the four letter network anymore? (no Super Bowl, no NHL payoffs, no World Series, no World Cup) ... all they've got is College Football

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Well, they do show baseball. But also ESPN shows US Soccer and some MLS. They're streaming all MLS matches on their Watch ESPN platform this season. I know that appeals to me more than most people but for soccer fans, ESPN has actually done a pretty good job. I don't like the network as a whole but they aren't completely one-dimensional.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Well, they do show baseball. But also ESPN shows US Soccer and some MLS. They're streaming all MLS matches on their Watch ESPN platform this season. I know that appeals to me more than most people but for soccer fans, ESPN has actually done a pretty good job. I don't like the network as a whole but they aren't completely one-dimensional.

Got that history going for them :laugh: ... NBC/SN is killing it with the Barclays Premier League

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Got that history going for them :laugh: ... NBC/SN is killing it with the Barclays Premier League
Yeah they are, no denying that, but with my English team (Fulham) being awful and relegated, it'll be nice to be able to watch my Sounders play as much as I can this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad