OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
SEC is overrated. I’ve said that for a long time on this board. It’s Bama and pretty much everyone else.

already hearing the “they don’t care to play” in these bowl games excuse crap.. college football fans in the south are sad individuals.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
SEC is overrated. I’ve said that for a long time on this board. It’s Bama and pretty much everyone else.

already hearing the “they don’t care to play” in these bowl games excuse crap.. college football fans in the south are sad individuals.

13 out of 14 teams in the conference made bowl games. That's a lot of 6-6 or 7-5 teams playing in a lot of shitty, meaningless games, many of which arent even in fun destinations.

I'm pretty sure if I was a player, especially one who might get drafted, my main concern would be not getting injured playing in the WhoGivesAShit Bowl.

Making any generalizations in these unique circumstances is kinda silly.

SEC is still by far the most talented conference, AINEC

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
13 out of 14 teams in the conference made bowl games. That's a lot of 6-6 or 7-5 teams playing in a lot of shitty, meaningless games, many of which arent even in fun destinations.

I'm pretty sure if I was a player, especially one who might get drafted, my main concern would be not getting injured playing in the WhoGivesAShit Bowl.

Making any generalizations in these unique circumstances is kinda silly.

SEC is still by far the most talented conference, AINEC
no alabama, LSU, Georgia are by far the most talented at least looking back at the past 20 years.

In fact take away those 3 and the SEC has a record of 166-173 against non conference teams dating back to 1998. it’s simply a myth in my opinion that the SEC is just so superior. There is alabama and usually another team (LSU, Georgia, florida) on in any given year and that’s about it.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
no alabama, LSU, Georgia are by the most talented at least looking back at the past 20 years.

In fact take away those 3 and the SEC has a record of 166-173 against non conference teams dating back to 1998. it’s a purely a myth that the SEC is just so superior. There is alabama and usually another team (LSU, Georgia, florida) on in any given year and that’s about it.

Do a direct comparison of other conferences when you remove their three best teams.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
no alabama, LSU, Georgia are by the most talented at least looking back at the past 20 years.

In fact take away those 3 and the SEC has a record of 166-173 against non conference teams dating back to 1998. it’s a purely a myth that the SEC is just so superior. There is alabama and usually another team (LSU, Georgia, florida) on in any given year and that’s about it.

You just keep telling yourself that.... and then do the Big 10 without OSU, Michigan and Penn St, the ACC without Clemson (and I guess Florida St and Miami if you're gonna look back 20+ year) and the Big 12 without Oklahoma Texas and Texas AM(again, necessary ifnlooking back 20 years).

There is plenty of topics to argue about in college football, but which conference is best, top to bottom, is not one of them

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Do a direct comparison of other conferences when you remove their three best teams.
Absolutely. I can and it would be very similar. My point isn’t to say the SEC sucks. My point is that the SEC is carried by 1-2 teams a year. The rest of the conference is pretty weak. There just isn’t much difference in a 6-6 team from the SEC big 12 or big 10.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
140-163 big 10 out of conference record excluding Michigan Ohio state penn state

117-140 big 12 record out of conference excluding Nebraska Oklahoma Texas

just for discussions sake. And I did you a favor and kept the big 12s out of conference record with Texas A&M. they were 3-18 outside of the conference dating back to 1998 in the big 12.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
My problem with the SEC is when people complain about SEC teams playing FCS schools or directional schools they're always like, "we play in the SEC our schedule is automatically stronger" when really, it's not. Vanderbilt, Miss St, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas, last 12 years UT, South Carolina, Mizzu, are usually average at best. Georgia's schedule this year was very weak, outside of Clemson which I give them credit for, they had Charlston So, Murray St and UAB. When you add in Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Georgia Tech to that, it really looks weak.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My problem with the SEC is when people complain about SEC teams playing FCS schools or directional schools they're always like, "we play in the SEC our schedule is automatically stronger" when really, it's not. Vanderbilt, Miss St, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas, last 12 years UT, South Carolina, Mizzu, are usually average at best. Georgia's schedule this year was very weak, outside of Clemson which I give them credit for, they had Charlston So, Murray St and UAB. When you add in Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Georgia Tech to that, it really looks weak.

Every power 5 conference does the same. It's how they get so many 6-6 bowl eligible teams. And the small fry want it for the paycheck. It's by no means an exclusive SEC phenomenon.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Every power 5 conference does the same. It's how they get so many 6-6 bowl eligible teams. And the small fry want it for the paycheck. It's by no means an exclusive SEC phenomenon.
that may be true but there is an inherent bias the SEC benefits from.

Look no further than Mississippi state who received 4 votes for top 25 before bowl games even with 5 losses because of playing in the SEC. Texas Tech went on to bitch smack them yesterday and push them around.

Reactions: adsfan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm always amused by those crying about the SEC. As an Arkansas fan the best thing we did was get out of the SWC even with our recent struggles. Now they let those SOB's into the SEC, bleh.

I think the new rules on player money and transfers are going to eventually balance out the top and bottom a bit more. Talented guys are eventually not going to want to sit at schools broke when they could go to another and make some money.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm always amused by those crying about the SEC. As an Arkansas fan the best thing we did was get out of the SWC even with our recent struggles. Now they let those SOB's into the SEC, bleh.

I think the new rules on player money and transfers are going to eventually balance out the top and bottom a bit more. Talented guys are eventually not going to want to sit at schools broke when they could go to another and make some money.

It sounds like you are writing about USC! That was how they lost a Heisman Trophy winner about 10 years ago.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

The SEC may or may not be "overrated" this year. But the outcomes of these bowl games cannot be used to make any judgments whatsoever- period.

That has always been the case with bowl games, but about a million times more in today's world with opt outs, Covid, etc, etc, etc.

The bowls are just a complete, meaningless mess now, which is sad.

And what is funny to me is one of the biggest reasons people still throw out there to argue AGAINST expanding the playoffs is we have to "preserve the bowl system". What a joke. The sad state of the bowls should be the number 1 reason TO EXPAND to playoff.

A great example is the Peach Bowl- Michigan State/Pitt. The two biggest stars are out of the game and it will probably wind up looking like a Spring game. Yet if we had an expanded playoff that game would likely be a first round playoff game, with everyone playing

How anyone can be against an expanded playoff is mind boggling to me.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The SEC may or may not be "overrated" this year. But the outcomes of these bowl games cannot be used to make any judgments whatsoever- period.

That has always been the case with bowl games, but about a million times more in today's world with opt outs, Covid, etc, etc, etc.

And what is funny to me is one of the biggest reasons people still throw out there to argue AGAINST expanding the playoffs is we have to "preserve the bowl system". What a joke. The sad state of the bowls should be the number 1 reason TO EXPAND to playoff.

A great example is the Peach Bowl- Michigan State/Pitt. The two biggest stars are out of the game and it will probably wind up looking like a Spring game. Yet if we had an expanded playoff that game would likely be a first round playoff game, with everyone playing

Now this I agree with. The playoffs made the bowl games worse. Opting out sucks.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

I totally agree 100%. No arguments from me on this.

Reactions: PredsV82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad