OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
People said that when they had to play at South Bend. Notre Dame won 26 home games in a row until October 2nd.

The Bearcats won by 11 and the game wasn't as close as the final score of 24-13 would indicate.

Cincinnati played Georgia on January 1, 2021 in the Peach Bowl, held in Georgia. The Bulldogs won 24-21. No wreck there on the last second 53 yard FG for Georgia.

Brian Kelly quit his job for goodness sakes! Maybe Sabin is next?

Notre Dame football: Reasons Irish will benefit from Brian Kelly’s departure
I'm a ND fan, most of us thought we'd lose that game, anything else is revisionist history.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I went back to look at the odds. The Bearcats were favored by 1.5 points.
Didn't remember the odds, likely never knew them, just going on what me and most ND fans thought going into that game. At that point in time we still didn't really know who are staring qb was.

edit: I went back and checked the box, 3 qbs played in that game

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't really mean predicting that Bama wrecks Cincinnati as a slight to them. I fully believe that Cincinnati is one of the best teams in the country, but Bama seems to have finally reached that next level they occasionally get to. If Bryce Young plays like he did in the SEC Championship I just don't see how anyone can beat them. That being said there is a reason they play the games and Bama has struggled to have consistently great play this season. As a UT fan I'm hardcore cheering for a Michigan-Cincinnati final but I don't feel like I'm that lucky.

Reactions: adsfan

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't really mean predicting that Bama wrecks Cincinnati as a slight to them. I fully believe that Cincinnati is one of the best teams in the country, but Bama seems to have finally reached that next level they occasionally get to. If Bryce Young plays like he did in the SEC Championship I just don't see how anyone can beat them. That being said there is a reason they play the games and Bama has struggled to have consistently great play this season. As a UT fan I'm hardcore cheering for a Michigan-Cincinnati final but I don't feel like I'm that lucky.
I will never cheer for Michigan but man some SEC fans make me want too. Alabama is the SEC, they carry the conference and carry the crown.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Yep. Kelly "quit" because Cincinnati beat them and not because a better job offered him 3x the pay.

Kelly had 12 years to build his program at ND. He lost at home to his previous employer from the AAC.

That would seem like an opportune time to seek employment elsewhere.

Notre Dame did not get to play for the national championship this year because of that loss to Cincinnati.

He quit Cincinnati before a bowl game to go to ND. That seems to be a bad habit of Kelly's.

From Wikipedia:

The 2021 campaign saw Kelly lead the Irish to an 11-1 record. Notre Dame's lone loss was at home against Cincinnati, Kelly's former team. The Irish secured wins against rivals, such as Purdue, USC, Navy, and Stanford.
Two days after the Irish beat Stanford, news leaked that Kelly would leave Notre Dame for LSU. Kelly had said a week prior that he would "never" leave Notre Dame.

Back to me:

"Never" is a very short time to Coach Kelly. The bolded portion above was from me, not Wikipedia.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Kelly had 12 years to build his program at ND. He lost at home to his previous employer from the AAC.

That would seem like an opportune time to seek employment elsewhere.

Notre Dame did not get to play for the national championship this year because of that loss to Cincinnati.

A better program in the best conference in college football called him and said we will give you 3x what you are making right now to come and coach our team.

He quit Cincinnati before a bowl game to go to ND. That seems to be a bad habit of Kelly's.

This happens every single year when coaches take new jobs. Kelly is far from a saint, but this isn't someone only he has done.

From Wikipedia:

The 2021 campaign saw Kelly lead the Irish to an 11-1 record. Notre Dame's lone loss was at home against Cincinnati, Kelly's former team. The Irish secured wins against rivals, such as Purdue, USC, Navy, and Stanford.
Two days after the Irish beat Stanford, news leaked that Kelly would leave Notre Dame for LSU. Kelly had said a week prior that he would "never" leave Notre Dame.

Back to me:

"Never" is a very short time to Coach Kelly. The bolded portion above was from me, not Wikipedia.

Tommy Tubberville was Mississippi's HC in 1998. He said "they'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box" and less than a week later he took the job at Auburn.

Nick Saban was coaching the Miami Dolphins in 2006 and said directly "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach". 2 weeks later he's at a press conference in Tuscaloosa

Todd Graham called several assistant coaches who left Pittsburgh in 2011 "nothing but mercenaries" and then 2 weeks later he took his 4th HC position in 7 years at Arizona State.

John Calipari told everyone about Memphis "I want to be here. This is where I want to coach." A few days later he took the Kentucky job.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So lost in the hubbub of the tornado disaster, I notice my Racers beat the Memphis Tigers in hoops.... OVC... OVC....OVC

Last edited:
Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I know some of you oldtimers will remember Predperson and Capt. Nerdo. Their grandson is Garrison Mathews, who played basketball at Lipscomb, then was undrafted but signed by the Wizards on draft day a couple of years ago. Most recently he has become a Houston Rocket and apparently is doing pretty well. I read an article that was discussing how they were trying to trade someone so they could bring him on more permanently (I think he's on a 2 way contract) Report: Rockets exploring trades to clear roster spot for Garrison Mathews

So yay for PP and N's grandson! Go and do good work.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Poll time

If Nashville gets an MLB team and they open their inaugural season at home, who would you rather have as the opponent?

Atlanta, Houston, or Texas?

Atlanta is the only other former Southern Association city in MLB, while either Houston or Texas would show off the country music rivalry between Nashville and Texas.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It's so interesting how a month or two ago we would have said the Titans had to win with offense. The defense started playing well then all of the crazy injuries on offense happened. Today is a great example of just how terrible the receiving corps is right now. I mean these guys are just so bad. Can't catch deep balls. Can't hold on to the ball (2 fumbles). It's just brutal.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Great bounce back tonight. Arizona win on Saturday and the Titans are AFC South Champs.

Reactions: PredsV82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad