The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Let's put 2 and 2 together. The team hasn't given up on the coach. Our roster is good enough to be at least competitive enough to challenge for the playoffs. This whole tank job started after the Turris trade. These players have given up on the owner. Nobody wants to play for him. He's the problem and it won't get better until he's gone.
Just last night I was thinking about this whole situation and was coming to the same conclusion. I mean based on the talk from both the coach and the players over this loosing streak it just didn't feel to me like Boucher had lost the room...and that the problem might be management/ownership instead. Sucks for Boucher though if this is really the case as he's probably the one to take the fall anyway, and you'd think the players would realize that...but if it's really perceived as being that bad by the players...what else are they supposed to do as far as protesting? Crazy times.
Although there is a rumor out there now that Melnyk has indeed sold the team so if that is the case, maybe the players will start playing better...one can hope.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’ve got Pierre Dorion’s back. I think he did an amazing job last season, adding at the deadline and hiring GB. I don’t like what I’m hearing from Turris about ownership, imagine being Dorion and trying to sign Kyle in the summer and Melnyck keeps saying ‘no’. You have to trade your #1 center and you try and upgrade the team in the process with Matt Duchesne. I think that’s Not a bad call considering your really just trying to keep the playoff dream alive.

Maybe he should of just kept Turris and play for this season and let Turris walk in the summer and Melnyck would of take the heat. But that’s a woulda.

Steve Yzerman also hired Guy Boucher with his first hire ever and they had success together in season #1. And Steve Y got it right with the
2nd coach.

Tampa had some low finishes (Drouin #3, Koekcock #10 , traded Kyke Quincey (our Codi Ceci) for #19 pick overall and drafted Vasilesky.

I think if Dorion makes some excellent trades, has an excellent draft with a top 3 pick and another 1st round pick, hires a solid new coach he can rebuild the team in 2 years.

Reactions: pepty

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the players felt they lost Turris because of the owner ... and then the EK news comes out and the feeling is that Melnyk has his substantial nose stuck in there and the possibility is becoming more real that EK could be gone .. that can be very unsettling. Add that on to poor goal tending, and a less than stellar EK. . maybe that's where we are

Reactions: Karl Prime

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion taking one on the chin on Turris.

"Everyone in the hockey department goes through me."

"The contract he signed in Nashville, he wouldn't sign with us."

"I get great support from Mr. Melnyk, but Pierre Dorion makes the hockey decisions."

This third person thing is different.

"I could have made a deal THREE MINUTES AGO! With a GM. But just to make a deal to make deal is not the right thing."

Look how great I am at deals!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"The blame falls on everyone. It falls on the players. It falls on me, as I'm the head of hockey operations. I'm not going to trade everyone away. We're going to keep fighting."

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So is this Dorion doing the ol' "full support to our head coach" presser before he fires him the next day/week? Was it on his bucket list?

It sure feels like it. Completely useless presser otherwise.

Reactions: Karl Prime

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"I'm not doing my job if I'm not answering offers on everyone on the team."

"Yes, we asked for no-trade for everyone. But it's our wish to have Erik Karlsson here for the next 10 years."

"If Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be traded. We love Erik Karlsson. We understand that he had a significant operation. We think his conditioning is getting to where it should be. We love him. We want him to be a Senator for life."

"His comments didn't upset me. But I had to have a talk to him. I needed an explanation. He loves Ottawa. It's where he met his wife. Where his newborn will hopefully be born. I have meetings with other players too."

"It would be foolish for me to say that he's at 100%. It was his wish to come back in the first game where he would be 50%. At some point at 75% or whatever he's better than 90% of the defencemen in the league, he can help us. When he wants to play...for that, we hope as the season progresses that he's going to get better and better and better - but it's not just on Erik Karlsson, it's on all of us."

Uncle Eugene

Buckle Up.
Mar 19, 2010
Barbados
I don't understand why Karlsson needed to explain himself.

Sarcasm off:

Probably because as a leader of a team (I mean not a professional sports team but still) I would never in a million years stand in front of my team when things are going poorly and say "I'm going to get paid, I mean I'd rather be here but if they don't give me what I'm worth I'm going to walk"

Bold leadership strategy...hasn't really paid off.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
He said they asked for no-trade for everyone a long time ago not recently.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion on his son: "Dad, your team, the level of suckage is high."

LOL.

"When your team isn't performing, you have to face the music. And that starts with me. I stand by every decision I made. Do I regret some, would I change them? Yeah. But you live with the decisions you make."

"People used to wave at me on the highway, and now they're giving me different stuff."

Reactions: branch and DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Dorion on his son: "Dad, your team, the level of suckage is high."

LOL.

"When your team isn't performing, you have to face the music. And that starts with me. I stand by every decision I made. Do I regret some, would I change them? Yeah. But you live with the decisions you make."

"People used to wave at me on the highway, and now they're giving me different stuff."
Don't show this to a few

Reactions: branch

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"Is there a mandate on playing some of the younger guys? Is there a point, where you know what, we're going to play more of the younger guys?"

"I gotta say, while we're still in it - I've never told a coach who to play or not to play - none of us want me to coach - but at the same time, if we are out of the playoffs at some point, there will definitely be some changes. Might as well have some younger guys have mistakes in the NHL. But right now - the coach goes with whomever should be in. Last time, the coach came to me - between Chabot and Harpur, I give my input, but ultimately the coach decides."

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If we are out of it .. there will be changes .. probably play the younger guys.... well at least we have that to look forward to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00