The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's like management wants purposefully piss off Karlsson lol

As strange as your statement sounds, I have also thought the same thing multiple times since Karlsson has been here. I think it was just 3 years ago, TSN1200 (the unofficial mouthpiece of the Ottawa Senators organization) ran a poll about whether Karlsson would be better suited to play forward. This was preceded and followed by numerous attempts by local media to nit pick every aspect of EK's game until he basically shut them up with his play. This doesn't happen in any other market.

Now, Dorion is just letting the fanbase get worked up and pissed off at Karlsson for the "no-hometown discount" comments, and he is doing nothing to squash any trade rumours except for sending Garrioch to speak on his behalf.

This is honestly the oddest and most poorly run sports organization I have seen in my 38 years.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
As strange as your statement sounds, I have also thought the same thing multiple times since Karlsson has been here. I think it was just 3 years ago, TSN1200 (the unofficial mouthpiece of the Ottawa Senators organization) ran a poll about whether Karlsson would be better suited to play forward. This was preceded and followed by numerous attempts by local media to nit pick every aspect of EK's game until he basically shut them up with his play. This doesn't happen in any other market.

Now, Dorion is just letting the fanbase get worked up and pissed off at Karlsson for the "no-hometown discount" comments, and he is doing nothing to squash any trade rumours except for sending Garrioch to speak on his behalf.

This is honestly the oddest and most poorly run sports organization I have seen in my 38 years.

I actually don't think the majority of the fan base is mad at Karlsson at all.

You have a vocal minority starting the "arrogant and egotistical" whispering, which is what mgmt wants I'm sure.

Everything I've heard from Karlsson seems entire rational .

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I actually don't think the majority of the fan base is mad at Karlsson at all.

You have a vocal minority starting the "arrogant and egotistical" whispering, which is what mgmt wants I'm sure.

Everything I've heard from Karlsson seems entire rational .
100%.

He wants what he is worth. Of course he does. He has been making far less than his market value for the entirety of his contract.

He deserves every penny of whatever he asks for, and has been nothing short of spectacular on and off the ice for the Sens.

Dorion will do whatever Karlsson wants him too, that I am sure of. Can't really blame/point at Dorion for anything Karlsson related other than his purge of leadership group, which cannot be understated. He was stuck with the Phaneuf/Ryan contracts. That's not to say Dorion has been good in his time here, because he really hasn't. He has just been put behind the 8 ball since he took over, and put himself even further back.

The only way that Karlsson isn't a Sen is if Melnyk does not want to pay up what Karlsson is worth. I'm sure in Dorions eyes, he has a blank cheque waiting for Karlsson, upon Karlsson and Melnyk approval.

If anyone gets mad at Karlsson, they really don't have any clue about anything.

Reactions: The Lewler

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
100%.

He wants what he is worth. Of course he does. He has been making far less than his market value for the entirety of his contract.

He deserves every penny of whatever he asks for, and has been nothing short of spectacular on and off the ice for the Sens.

Dorion will do whatever Karlsson wants him too, that I am sure of. Can't really blame/point at Dorion for anything Karlsson related other than his purge of leadership group, which cannot be understated. He was stuck with the Phaneuf/Ryan contracts. That's not to say Dorion has been good in his time here, because he really hasn't. He has just been put behind the 8 ball since he took over, and put himself even further back.

The only way that Karlsson isn't a Sen is if Melnyk does not want to pay up what Karlsson is worth. I'm sure in Dorions eyes, he has a blank cheque waiting for Karlsson, upon Karlsson and Melnyk approval.

If anyone gets mad at Karlsson, they really don't have any clue about anything.

I don't think Karlsson signing with this management/ownership is in his best interest.

He could go to Toronto and be guaranteed cups, hell even teams like Buffalo, Boston or NYR/NYI would be contenders if he was added.

Most of his closest friends on the team have been unceremoniously dumped.

The only reason to stay from his viewpoint would be to stay close to his in laws. But even if he goes to any of those cities he's only a 2 hour flight away from them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A lot of guys stay where they are, despite the management.

Look at a guy like John Tavares.

There's a lot of inertia for the team that drafted you.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
A lot of guys stay where they are, despite the management.

Look at a guy like John Tavares.

There's a lot of inertia for the team that drafted you.

True but not many franchise players have to deal with people like Melnyk and Dorion.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah if Karlsson can get Ottawa into game 7 of the ecf.

Imagine what he could do with Matthew's/Marner/Nylander

You should know by now that there is no such thing as guaranteed Cups.

There are certainly many teams that are closer to winning a Cup than we are, but a lot of them can't afford Karlsson as a result.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You should know by now that there is no such thing as guaranteed Cups.

There are certainly many teams that are closer to winning a Cup than we are, but a lot of them can't afford Karlsson as a result.

There's a reason why certain teams have been able to repeat so often in the last 10 years or so, and why those teams are still contenders.

It's because there's a certain formula to win and Karlsson+Matthews+Marner+Nylander +Reilly + Kadri. Is the right formula.

Sure they'll have to let go guys like JVR and Bozak but that's a small price to pay.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's a reason why certain teams have been able to repeat so often in the last 10 years or so, and why those teams are still contenders.

It's because there's a certain formula to win and Karlsson+Matthews+Marner+Nylander +Reilly + Kadri

Is the right formula. Sure they'll have to let go guys like JVR and Bozak but that's a small price.

Tell that to San Jose, Washington and St. Louis. Lots of teams "should" win and don't.

Until the Leafs go anywhere, I'm not vaulting them into that tier.

They haven't even won a playoff series.

Rielly has a long way to go to compete with Keith and Doughty, and Matthews and Marner aren't Malkin and Crosby.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Gotta stay the course and not do anything too drastic imo (outside of the EK situation), try and dump the dead weight and recover any type of assets(Burrows, Oduya, Brassard, Phaneuf even Andy imo) and if it is a losing season well then that's the way she goes sometime and you have to eat it and pray the pick is good....the giant issue for the year will be whether to sign EK or not hedging your bets on his recovery and the performance going forward...I can see solid arguments from both sides and not a decision I would be excited to make.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Gotta stay the course and not do anything too drastic imo (outside of the EK situation), try and dump the dead weight and recover any type of assets(Burrows, Oduya, Brassard, Phaneuf even Andy imo) and if it is a losing season well then that's the way she goes sometime and you have to eat it and pray the pick is good....the giant issue for the year will be whether to sign EK or not hedging your bets on his recovery and the performance going forward...I can see solid arguments from both sides and not a decision I would be excited to make.
Didn't Carolina have huge ups and downs season to season but then won the cup on one of their up swings? All we have to do is tank this year and get a really high pick then win the cup next year.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

It's because there's a certain formula to win and Karlsson+Matthews+Marner+Nylander +Reilly + Kadri. Is the right formula.

Sure they'll have to let go guys like JVR and Bozak but that's a small price to pay.

That's not how any of this works.

I agree , that's a damn good roster , but there is no set formula , which is why it's so hard to win the Cup.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Didn't Carolina have huge ups and downs season to season but then won the cup on one of their up swings? All we have to do is tank this year and get a really high pick then win the cup next year.

Somehow keeping EK and him re-emerging along with most of our talent, the team being sold to a somewhat normal human being or group of human beings and adding a top pick would be the absolute best we can hope for imo.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Somehow keeping EK and him re-emerging along with most of our talent, the team being sold to a somewhat normal human being or group of human beings and adding a top pick would be the absolute best we can hope for imo.

Also, I would pee bitcoins.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Tell that to San Jose, Washington and St. Louis. Lots of teams "should" win and don't.

Until the Leafs go anywhere, I'm not vaulting them into that tier.

They haven't even won a playoff series.

Rielly has a long way to go to compete with Keith and Doughty, and Matthews and Marner aren't Malkin and Crosby.

If those teams had Karlsson they probably win.

Which is what TO would have. A generational talent playing 30 minutes on a speedy creative team with elite offensive talent.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If those teams had Karlsson they probably win.

Which is what TO would have. A generational talent playing 30 minutes on a speedy creative team with elite offensive talent.

Maybe?

They'd have a hard time keeping that team together for long.

I just can't be conclusive about teams winning the Cup. It just doesn't work that way.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That's not how any of this works.

I agree , that's a damn good roster , but there is no set formula , which is why it's so hard to win the Cup.

Like I said, there is a reason 3 teams have won the last 8 cups or so.

And why the devils have turned into one of the best teams in the league overnight.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Or the Hawks/Kings and Leafs with EK.

How do they afford Karlsson?

The Hawks shed everyone on their team to keep Kane and Toews.

Does the cap not exist in your scenario?

If Karlsson wants to be paid like he thinks he deserves ($11M? $12M?), I doubt any of those teams can afford him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
How do they afford Karlsson?

The Hawks shed everyone on their team to keep Kane and Toews.

Does the cap not exist in your scenario?

If Karlsson wants to be paid like he thinks he deserves ($11M? $12M?), I doubt any of those teams can afford him.

Cap is going up and just look at how competitive the Penguins/Hawks have been able to remain despite having having to shed good players. With a good GM and a coach who understands the importance of cheap skilled youth in the line up its not hard.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cap is going up and just look at how competitive the Penguins/Hawks have been able to remain despite having having to shed good players. With a good GM and a coach who understands the importance of cheap skilled youth in the line up its not hard.

They also haven’t added any 10 million dollar players to their payrolls.

If Karlsson goes anywhere it will be to an almost contender where he will be the biggest star and highest paid player.

Not a team that already has a franchise player or two taking up massive shares of the cap.

Toronto will be in that position very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad