The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Karlsson is traded, he'll be traded to Nashville, and it'll end with PK Subban as a Senator. It's just too perfect from a message board shit posting perspective and as much as losing Erik Karlsson would suck it would create a new renaissance for making fun of Canadiens trades.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
They also haven’t added any 10 million dollar players to their payrolls.

If Karlsson goes anywhere it will be to an almost contender where he will be the biggest star and highest paid player.

Not a team that already has a franchise player or two taking up massive shares of the cap.

Toronto will be in that position very soon.

Karlsson and Matthews sign 11 million deals. So that's 22 million tied up in 2 of the top 5 players in the world.

Let's be generous and have Marner, Nylander and Reilly locked up for 20 million total.

So that leaves 40 million to fill out the rest of the roster.

It can be done.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Karlsson and Matthews sign 11 million deals. So that's 22 million tied up in two of the top 5 players in the world.

Let's be generous and have Marner, Nylander and Reilly locked up for 20 million total.

So that leaves 40 million to fill out the rest of the roster.

It can be done.

11.5 million of that 40 goes to Marleau and Horton.

Andersen, Kadri and Zaitsev are another 15 million.

So that leaves 14 million for 10+ players. Of that, almost 7 million goes to Hyman, Brown and Martin.

So that leaves 7 million for 7+ players.

Not a lot of room.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
11.5 million of that 40 goes to Marleau and Horton.

Andersen, Kadri and Zaitsev are another 15 million.

So that leaves 14 million for 10+ players.

Yeah, you will have to make tough decisions just like the Hawks and Penguins have had to make.

But it isn't unheard to offer picks to another team to eat salary.

Not to mention with Vegas + Seattle soon there's going to be a lot open cap space.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Don't forget, we owned Toronto in the regular season during the Pizza Line years....but that meant diddly squat in the playoffs.

Regular season matchups are all but useless as a barometer of playoff success.

BEFORE the Pizza line years! Toronto was a non-factor during the Pizza Line years. But yes, I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. All I was saying is that not only did we best a depleted Boston team in the playoffs, but we also beat a healthy Boston team several times during the regular season.

The point was simply that we don't have to subscribe to this idea that had Boston been healthy, we would all of a sudden have lost the series. We showed that very season that we could beat them healthy as well. That's all. :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, EK isn't being traded to the leafs, nor will he be allowed to walk for nothing. If EK was traded to the leafs, Nylander and Marner would be coming back our way.

Anywho, even when teams were able to spend to the sky, it was well known that you couldn't buy a cup. New York, and Toronto were proof of this year after year pre cap. Perhaps some fans here were too young to remember all of that. The best example though was the Colorado super team, very likely one of the best teams ever assemble post Islanders/Oilers, and they couldn't get it done. There are zero teams in the NHL that come close to being as stacked as that Colorado team was that had Selanne and Karina as secondary players....

Man, I would have loved to see that team play together for a few years, what a squad!

I just had a quick look, and check out this link, https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-15-stacked-nhl-super-teams-that-failed-miserably/ what crazy stacked teams!!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah I was just about to link this, just brutal man. Melnyk does get that we'll need to pay our guys increasing amounts as they improve and the cap goes up? Sell the team, Eugene, sell it fast.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Let's put 2 and 2 together. The team hasn't given up on the coach. Our roster is good enough to be at least competitive enough to challenge for the playoffs. This whole tank job started after the Turris trade. These players have given up on the owner. Nobody wants to play for him. He's the problem and it won't get better until he's gone.

Reactions: Karl Prime

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Ugh. It's so hard to see the franchise becoming well-run and perennially successful as long as Melnyk is involved.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, it looks quite obvious that Melnyk didn't want to have to pay both Turris and Duchene, even if that would have put the team in a VERY nice position for this season and beyond.

Seriously, Melnyk cannot leave soon enough.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Let's put 2 and 2 together. The team hasn't given up on the coach. Our roster is good enough to be at least competitive enough to challenge for the playoffs. This whole tank job started after the Turris trade. These players have given up on the owner. Nobody wants to play for him. He's the problem and it won't get better until he's gone.
Agreed...Its not only the players but most of the fans as well,I mean we go from a goal away from a cup final.To our GM trying to replace a top 6 center with another top 6 center due to money......

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Agreed...Its not only the players but most of the fans as well,I mean we go from a goal away from a cup final.To our GM trying to replace a top 6 center with another top 6 center due to money......

Are you saying fans have something to do with Melnyk not being able to have both Turris and Duchene?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Either a firing, trade or announcement of a sale in terms of what might happen.

EDIT (it's a gameday so wouldn't make sense for a firing. Trade unless it leaks in the next 45 minutes is unlikely. Might be the sale honestly. From reddit:

Last edited:

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
The whole Melnyk calling the shots on trades stuff is why I don't fault Dorion with the predicament we are in

Melnyk probably didn't want to pay Zibby so he was traded
Melnyk didn't want Turris so he was traded

We lost both trades but Dorion's hands were kinda bound

Reactions: topshelf15

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
There's rumours swirling around twitter saying that a group including Jeff Hunt are buying the Senators!

Btw, do we have any insiders on here?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There's rumours swirling around twitter saying that a group including Jeff Hunt are buying the Senators!

Btw, do we have any insiders on here?
Some guys do in certain areas whether it be signings/trades/prospects/business,, but I haven't seen anything from any them on this

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don’t think the Hunt Group has the $750 million USD needed to buy the Sens. I think he’d be great for the group on a local level, but the Sens are an international product and I think this franchise on the next ownership change needs a larger vision and deeper pockets.

Ottawa has to get onto a blue chip financial standard. For the franchise to truely grow the new owners need the money necessary to assure the fanbase they aren’t the Winnipeg Jets of the East, the new owners need to be in it for larger reasons then ‘keeping the team in Ottawa.’

No more saviours, the fans don’t need and don’t want another saviour. We want a sugar daddy. Someone who can roll with EK.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don’t think the Hunt Group has the $750 million USD needed to buy the Sens. I think he’d be great for the group on a local level, but the Sens are an international product and I think this franchise on the next ownership change needs a larger vision and deeper pockets.

Ottawa has to get onto a blue chip financial standard. For the franchise to truely grow the new owners need the money necessary to assure the fanbase they aren’t the Winnipeg Jets of the East, the new owners need to be in it for larger reasons then ‘keeping the team in Ottawa.’

No more saviours, the fans don’t need and don’t want another saviour. We want a sugar daddy. Someone who can roll with EK.

Our business case is the empty arena in the middle of nowhere.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I honestly just feel bad for Dorion. Another career ruined by Melnyk.

So this would be a Melnyk knee jerk reaction to Turris asking for 6+ over 7 years... Melnyk takes this all too personally. I still don't understand how he is not ok with signing Turris but he's ok with signing Duchene ..(after giving up a ton) to get him... it has to be an emotional reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad