The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
... They cannot at any costs look uninformed and won't throw Terry under the bus. They all stick up for each other....
Things must be very different in the sports "insider" department of the media. I never saw anyone on the news side go out of his way to make a competitor look good.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I would love to break down what Bob MacKenzie says...and doesn't say. I have worked in courtrooms long enough , over 20 years, to know whensomeone says absolutely nothing. He is so good at it that he fools alot of people. You should read his book: Confessions of a Hockey Dad, while brilliant and a must read, the guy clearly has some loose screws.

I agree that people called and Ottawa listened. The whole Bobby Ryan angle was simply a Marcotte wishlist, BS, and all these "Insiders" have to act like "uhh, sniff, yeah I heard that too" attitude. They cannot at any costs look uninformed and won't throw Terry under the bus. They all stick up for each other. But for every MacKenzie, there are a dozen Brennans and Simmons, and Coxes, etc...hardly the bastion of integrity.

My guess is that Dorion was discussing lots of possibilities regarding Karlsson with a few different teams. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan was involved in some potential deals and not involved in others. Dorion would love to move Ryan and I’m sure he realizes his value is so low on his own he’d have to throw him into a deal with a guy who has value to get rid of him.

So, if the story being suggested by the media is that Ryan must be included in any Karlsson deal, that may not be true, but we don’t know for sure.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ok, I just did. Marcotte was the first to throw it out there, others piggybacked on it. Hardly accurate, but we can agree to disagree.

Not sure why big wigs like Bobby Mac, Dreger, Freidman, etc would piggyback on a tweet from a guy who barely tweets and has never ever broken a story until now. The TSN guys are pretty plugged in. I am sure they did their homework before breaking the story themselves.

If the hockey insiders are running with Terry Marcotte's story who's claim to fame is Senior of the Week and Golf Tips then they may as well use Eklund as a source too. At least the Eklund dude follows the league.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Thoughts on the Damian Rhodes interview on Thursday? I guess he swore at one point. Not sure if that’s why the interview ended right after or they were planning on ending it there anyway.

To me it didn’t seem like he was all that into it at the beginning, but he seemed to warm up as it went on. Some of his answers surprised me like saying he didn’t think they were a contending team in 99. I think that’s what he said anyway.

I’m loving these throwback Thursday’s though. Hope they can keep it going for a while.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thoughts on the Damian Rhodes interview on Thursday? I guess he swore at one point. Not sure if that’s why the interview ended right after or they were planning on ending it there anyway.

To me it didn’t seem like he was all that into it at the beginning, but he seemed to warm up as it went on. Some of his answers surprised me like saying he didn’t think they were a contending team in 99. I think that’s what he said anyway.

I’m loving these throwback Thursday’s though. Hope they can keep it going for a while.

I'm enjoying them too. Rhodes doesn't have the gift of gab like Andre Roy had the week before. That interview was very much question:answer and I'd guess they just ran out of planned questions. Rhodes certainly wasn't carrying the interview.

the swear word used was referencing a fight. he said he got the poo kicked out of him in a fight by Shanahan I think it was

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Looks like TGOR is trying to get back in the good graces of the organization again, back to spreading the "trade Karlsson" nonsense.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Looks like TGOR is trying to get back in the good graces of the organization again, back to spreading the "trade Karlsson" nonsense.

It's possible that this is just how these guys feel about the situation/ Karlsson, and has nothing to do with their relationship (real or imagined) to the team.

I mean.... nobody ever accused Steve Warne or John Rodenburg of being hockey geniuses or anything. :laugh:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Not sure why big wigs like Bobby Mac, Dreger, Freidman, etc would piggyback on a tweet from a guy who barely tweets and has never ever broken a story until now. The TSN guys are pretty plugged in. I am sure they did their homework before breaking the story themselves.

If the hockey insiders are running with Terry Marcotte's story who's claim to fame is Senior of the Week and Golf Tips then they may as well use Eklund as a source too. At least the Eklund dude follows the league.

Exactly lol, hardly plugged in.

It was a perfect storm that only fit the narrative being played over and over again. Attendance woes menas money woes. More empty seats, Sens need to unload money. In the end they unloaded very little (Brassard, Phaneuf with Gaborik coming back being minimal savings). It didn't fit in the end the agenda out there.

TSN guys are pretty plugged in, but don't forget Marcotte is part of the TSN/BellMedia family and they weren't going to throw him under the bus. And no one deserves any blame...not Mac, not Elliot or Dreger because they are repeated by Senior of the Week Insider.

For every Mac there are a dozen Brennans, Simmons and Coxes. Skip Bayless, the guys in Denver are absolute hacks. These are hardly honorable professionals in my opinion. They make a living off speculating., sad if you ask me.

The media is not an avenue of information that can be trusted as it used to be, that is the state of affairs in our world now.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

It was a perfect storm that only fit the narrative being played over and over again. Attendance woes menas money woes. More empty seats, Sens need to unload money. In the end they unloaded very little (Brassard, Phaneuf with Gaborik coming back being minimal savings). It didn't fit in the end the agenda out there.

TSN guys are pretty plugged in, but don't forget Marcotte is part of the TSN/BellMedia family and they weren't going to throw him under the bus. And no one deserves any blame...not Mac, not Elliot or Dreger because they are repeated by Senior of the Week Insider.

For every Mac there are a dozen Brennans, Simmons and Coxes. Skip Bayless, the guys in Denver are absolute hacks. These are hardly honorable professionals in my opinion. They make a living off speculating., sad if you ask me.

The media is not an avenue of information that can be trusted as it used to be, that is the state of affairs in our world now.

For example our local newspapers do not hide their political affiliation which at least for me is very easy to see, I in turn see the lies or mis-truths they put out and become skeptical of everything they write. Additionally the internet has made everything available right away, and while these bias still exist, one can dig a bit and find somewhat more un-biased takes then the paid corporate promoting shills produce on the reg.

Reactions: coladin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The whole Bobby Ryan angle was simply a Marcotte wishlist.

Are we sure that's what happened?

I mean, you are welcome to your opinion that you THINK that's what happened, just as anyone is allowed to have their opinion on anything, but it's just as likely, if not more likely, that the Ryan info was vetted by more than one source.

I suppose it really depends on how much pull you think a guy like Terry Marcotte has around the league to have his opinion taken as gospel without proof. Personally, I don't think it's anywhere enough to cause the storm that it did, and there's a much better chance that the rumours had multiple sources, but that's just my opinion and we'll never know anyways.

Reactions: stempniaksen

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I mean, what is the most likely scenario:

1) Terry Marcotte lied
2) Terry Marcotte misunderstood the information he was given, and reported it incorrectly.
3) Terry Marcotte was given legitimate info, but was the only person to which this information was made available, and the rest of the hockey media took it as gospel.
4) Terry Marcotte was one of several people who had access to this information, and the reliability of multiple sources led to the hockey world reporting on it en masse.

We're all free to speculate and make our own personal opinions on what exactly happened, but some of those options are clearly less likely than others.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The point I was initially trying to make was that Terry Marcotte was sharing information that was eventually confirmed to be true by numerous other sources. This was not FAKE NEWS as you and others seem to want to suggest. This was also not a scenario where McKenzie and Dreger ran with a story where Marcotte was their source. They ran with a story that was confirmed by people within the hockey circles. A story they continue to maintain was very accurate.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He and Melnyk had a plan to blame the media going into these Townhalls... Melnyk for his move the team / blame the fans comments and Dorion for the swirl created when he was listening to offers on Karlsson and at least possibly entertaining packaging Ryan. Small minded imo.
We don't know that it was their plan to blame the media, that's an opinion. When teams have a bad yr there is all kinds of finger pointing going around & they like anyone else want to defend themselves regarding what was said or done. I think they also have to say something to the fans especially if it may not be true or rumoured to be true because a lot of people believe everything they read or perceive to be true in the paper & it's easy to do these days. The owner saying something stupid on a live broadcast however is much more difficult to erase than something written in the paper or said by someone else.

I think it's part & parcel with the business side of the game but they have to do a better job with the message. The owner spouting off never helps & usually ends up in damage control. How do they shut him up? The GM's job is to listen to offers, every offer for every player, if that offer will improve the hockey team regardless if it's EK or any other player, people should know that.

After a crappy season even the best player on the team should be looked at whether it is in the interest of the team to move forward with him or without him & which is better for the team at this time. People should be more attached to the team than the player & trading players is part of the business especially if it improves the team's success. Unfortunately, every transaction has a percentage of success or failure & nobody can predict ether way beforehand but we all have an opinion after the fact.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Are we sure that's what happened?

I mean, you are welcome to your opinion that you THINK that's what happened, just as anyone is allowed to have their opinion on anything, but it's just as likely, if not more likely, that the Ryan info was vetted by more than one source.

I suppose it really depends on how much pull you think a guy like Terry Marcotte has around the league to have his opinion taken as gospel without proof. Personally, I don't think it's anywhere enough to cause the storm that it did, and there's a much better chance that the rumours had multiple sources, but that's just my opinion and we'll never know anyways.

Yes that is what I think happened. As Chezz eloquently put it, the Senior of the Week guy is as plugged in as my toaster. He was the first to break it, and like I said, for someone who listens to TSN1200 all day, his disdain for Ryan is pretty obvious, which is why I smelled BS right away. On top of the fact how preposterous it was, and how clueless and stupid it made PD look.

Like I said earlier, the rumour worked perfectly because the perception is Ottawa is hard up for money. It makes perfect sense for Ottawa to do that, wouldn't it? Even though it would be the worst hockey deal in the history of the NHL, after the Gretzky trade maybe.

You are right, we will never know, but Ryan and Karlsson are still here, and according to the Insiders it was going to happen more than not happen. They all said if not the TDL it will be at the draft. Now that is not , apparently, happening either. Speculation is no fun in Senators land!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yes that is what I think happened. As Chezz eloquently put it, the Senior of the Week guy is as plugged in as my toaster. He was the first to break it, and like I said, for someone who listens to TSN1200 all day, his disdain for Ryan is pretty obvious, which is why I smelled BS right away. On top of the fact how preposterous it was, and how clueless and stupid it made PD look.

Like I said earlier, the rumour worked perfectly because the perception is Ottawa is hard up for money. It makes perfect sense for Ottawa to do that, wouldn't it? Even though it would be the worst hockey deal in the history of the NHL, after the Gretzky trade maybe.

You are right, we will never know, but Ryan and Karlsson are still here, and according to the Insiders it was going to happen more than not happen. They all said if not the TDL it will be at the draft. Now that is not , apparently, happening either. Speculation is no fun in Senators land!

Why is it that someone who is the Sports Director of a legitimate news station is "as plugged in as a toaster"? Why is so far out of the realm of possibilities that he heard something valid and passed it along? It's presumably the same thing that respected insiders like McKenzie, Dreger and Friedman were reporting around the trade deadline. I'm not arguing that what Marcotte says should be taken as gospel, but why should what he say be completely discounted?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

You are completely misreading what I said. I said that it is ludicrous to believe that this rumour started from Marcotte. He may have been the first to publicly acknowledge it, but many hockey insiders had the exact same scoop and I can assure you that these "insiders" did not run with a rumour started by Marcotte.

Actually believing that a guy like Bob MacKenzie would piggy back on a Terry Marcotte scoop is insulting to the hockey world.

Also, it is Shawn Simpson who has a serious hate-on for Bobby Ryan, I don't really think Terry Marcotte has ever spoken anything bad about anyone ever.

Reactions: stempniaksen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad