The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If you want to hear TSN people discussing Eugene Melnyk rumours, just go on over to TSN690. The rumours were discussed with Bob MacKenzie yesterday and with Darren Dreger this morning.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If you want to hear TSN people discussing Eugene Melnyk rumours, just go on over to TSN690. The rumours were discussed with Bob MacKenzie yesterday and with Darren Dreger this morning.

Summary?? Anything good come out of this, or is it more of the "putting out fires" type of discussions?

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I haven't been on much but I do want to say thank you to Ian Mendes for coming on and sharing information with us openly. Not sure if this happens often in the thread but I can say that it's quite refreshing that folks at TSN radio are participating in these discussions with us.

It also helps stymie innuendo and poor assumptions that we may have given our distance from the operations of the station.

I'm probably late to the game saying it but thanks for the participation.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Summary?? Anything good come out of this, or is it more of the "putting out fires" type of discussions?

Basically the same, just that there are rumours about, but nothing concrete at this point. They didn't dismiss them as wishful thinking on the part of some Sens fans, but he could not find anything about a sale actually being in the works.

Last edited:

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016

Or you know, listen to my pre-game show interview with Bob McKenzie on TSN 1200 last night talking about Melnyk's ownership situation.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
I haven't been on much but I do want to say thank you to Ian Mendes for coming on and sharing information with us openly. Not sure if this happens often in the thread but I can say that it's quite refreshing that folks at TSN radio are participating in these discussions with us.

It also helps stymie innuendo and poor assumptions that we may have given our distance from the operations of the station.

I'm probably late to the game saying it but thanks for the participation.

It's my pleasure to do so. One of the things I strive for is transparency and openness, coupled with professionalism and integrity. I try and use those as the pillars for how I deal with people on the internet. You put those things together and there is nothing to hide from. That's why I give out my personal e-mail and that's why I post directly on here with my real name.

I think engaging directly with angry listeners creates a better dialogue in the big picture. I really appreciate the people who take the time to e-mail me with specific concerns about the station or my work.

Reactions: BLONG7

wickedsmaht

Nov 30, 2017
Simmer straight up calling out ownerships cheapness. I know he gets a lot of flack here, but I love the guy for his honesty.
With all the people who defend Melnyk, this is the worst kind of shit to hear. Organization is crippled by a lack of resources. Scouts/staff leaving in droves. Nobody getting replaced. Can't help but think that didn't have a hell of a lot to do with Alfredsson quitting.

So bloody depressing.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

wickedsmaht

Nov 30, 2017
In the interest of being open, honest and transparent, let me respond to this post. I can't control what you folks think, but one thing I can do is spread the truth and honesty...instead of inaccurate statements like the ones above.

Let me give you the exact rundown of our Darren Dreger interview at 4:15pm ET yesterday. I text with Darren Dreger often and whenever he has a Sens story to pump, he will give me a heads-up so we can ask him about it during the radio hit and serve as a promotion for the TV hit. We didn't get that from Dregs yesterday, which is a pretty clear indication that he got his information at some point AFTER he joined us on the radio and before he taped Insider Trading at 6pm ET.

At the very least, Dreger would want to drive traffic to TSN last night and would have said on Ottawa radio, "Guys, I've got the latest on the Sens ownership rumours on Insider Trading." When Dregs dropped the huge Turris news on opening night, we got a heads-up on that and promoted like mad on radio.

So while your "gag order" theory is juicy and indicting to us as a sports radio station, it's simply untrue. You're hearing this directly from a person who works at the station, who loves engaging with fans and listeners. Why on earth would I come on a thread like this and spread lies?

I will politely disagree on your assessment that we've missed the boat on this and now the story is over. So what exactly have we missed? There are rumours of a potential sale, but there is nothing imminent. And as Eugene has told me numerous times on the radio, he has no intentions of selling the team. The news from TSN is essentially is that there is no news right now on this front. If you're suggesting we completely dropped the ball on a story that has no legs at this point -- I don't know what to say.

As always, please feel free to reach out to me directly with your obvious concerns for the journalistic direction of our station. My e-mail is [email protected]

If you don't take up my offer to get more details....well I'd just say that is lazy, lazy posting.
I'm pretty impressed you keep coming back here. Thank you. And I think the criticism of of the station is unwarranted.

Anyone who listens to Simmer on the Drive can't say TSN 1200 is easy on the Sens.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Simmer straight up calling out ownerships cheapness. I know he gets a lot of flack here, but I love the guy for his honesty.

I gotta say, with all the issues I have with the station (mostly TGOR) it really seems like Simmer is really stepping up to the plate in the past few months. Seems like he has much more of a professional approach lately. Props to Mendes for helping him down this road, but props to Simmer himself for wanting to be better and actually putting in the work to make himself better.

If he wants to stand out and make a name for himself, going against the grain and being different than the other hosts on the station is a fantastic way to do it. Lloyd, White, Warne and JR always seem to echo basically the exact same thoughts, Simmer coming with a very different POV is refreshing and it makes he stand out above the others.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I gotta say, with all the issues I have with the station (mostly TGOR) it really seems like Simmer is really stepping up to the plate in the past few months. Seems like he has much more of a professional approach lately. Props to Mendes for helping him down this road, but props to Simmer himself for wanting to be better and actually putting in the work to make himself better.

If he wants to stand out and make a name for himself, going against the grain and being different than the other hosts on the station is a fantastic way to do it. Lloyd, White, Warne and JR always seem to echo basically the exact same thoughts, Simmer coming with a very different POV is refreshing and it makes he stand out above the others.

Would have to agree with you Chezzz. You can't deny the fact that he has front office experience in the NHL and can bring a perspective that the others can't. Not afraid to express opinions that may be counter to the party line. Ian has certainly guided him in this process and they have become a dynamic duo!

Reactions: wickedsmaht

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
There was a texter on In the Box today who sent a message stating that they were too frightened to question management, the coaching decisions, the bad trades/acquisitions etc. White and Loyd simply laughed and brushed it off

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
There was a texter on In the Box today who sent a message stating that they were too frightened to question management, the coaching decisions, the bad trades/acquisitions etc. White and Loyd simply laughed and brushed it off

Heard the same segment today. Lots of laughing and snickering at listeners today in the few segments I heard, very professional, great way to gain and keep listeners. :sarcasm:

You can't deny the fact that he has front office experience in the NHL and can bring a perspective that the others can't

I don't think this has anything to do with his recent takes. Whether he has experience or not, he is echoing the stance that the majority of Sens fans currently have, which is the popular and correct POV. He is also doing so in a very professional manner. This will only gain him followers/listeners, while the rest of the station (minus Ian) are doing the exact opposite and are basically laughing at Sens fans. See above. The only POV that they are slowly coming around on, and are maybe a few weeks too late, is that Chabot needs to be playing.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Heard the same segment today. Lots of laughing and snickering at listeners today in the few segments I heard, very professional, great way to gain and keep listeners. :sarcasm:

I don't think this has anything to do with his recent takes. Whether he has experience or not, he is echoing the stance that the majority of Sens fans currently have, which is the popular and correct POV. He is also doing so in a very professional manner. This will only gain him followers/listeners, while the rest of the station (minus Ian) are doing the exact opposite and are basically laughing at Sens fans. See above. The only POV that they are slowly coming around on, and are maybe a few weeks too late, is that Chabot needs to be playing.
Its easier for him to voice his honest opinion because he has no relationship with the organization nor is he a fan of the team.

Great mouthpiece for the fanbase

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016

Chezzz - serious question (if you'll answer it):

Do you see any irony in the fact you are ripping radio personalities for not having the guts to ask tough questions -- when you yourself haven't reached out to me directly with your issues with the station, even though you've been offered the platform multiple times?

It's an honest question. One that you can answer via e-mail at [email protected]

Ian

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

Do you see any irony in the fact you are ripping radio personalities for not having the guts to ask tough questions -- when you yourself haven't reached out to me directly with your issues with the station, even though you've been offered the platform multiple times?

It's an honest question. One that you can answer via e-mail at [email protected]

Ian

For the love of God, stop badgering the guy. This is a just discussion board; no one takes it seriously, no one is obligated to do anything.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Todd White is the perfect ex-player to be on the radio. He really breaks down what goes on in games better than anyone else at the station. Th guy grew up on an Amish farm, we get it. I don't care what movies he hasn't seen.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
For the love of God, stop badgering the guy. This is a just discussion board; no one takes it seriously, no one is obligated to do anything.

Thanks for passing along the rules on here. I didn't realize posters were allowed to rip us and we couldn't respond. Seems kind of hypocritical, no?

While this just may be a message board to you, it's my livelihood that you're dissecting and critiquing. I don't take criticism of my colleagues or workplace lightly. So just as its your prerogative to take this thread lightly, it's also my right to tackle inaccurate statements as I see fit. Chezzz's statements are repeatedly false and he should be held accountable - just as I'm accountable for every word that comes out of my mouth on the radio.

Our job is to pay attention to what listeners are saying about us, things that we can improve, etc. There is lots of constructive criticism on here and I've actually applied some to my show. It would be foolish to bury our heads in the sand and not pay attention to this thread. It's full of loyal listeners who are obviously paying attention to every word we are saying.

So what's the difference in me paying attention to every word you guys are typing on here?

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Have to give Ian credit, he certainly doesnt burry his head in the sand ... enjoyed the show today.thanks for allowing the listners to engage. Simmer is a breathe of fresh air ... its nice to have someone not be afraid to call out current ownership situation & lack of investments they have put into our team. / Dorion & his fumbles / bad trades. it was great as it wasnt just sugar coating. it was reality based., I'm happy we got to hear many sens fans and their various perspectives on this team & whats right and wrong from it from top to bottom of the Org. thanks you.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
With all the people who defend Melnyk, this is the worst kind of **** to hear. Organization is crippled by a lack of resources. Scouts/staff leaving in droves. Nobody getting replaced. Can't help but think that didn't have a hell of a lot to do with Alfredsson quitting.

So bloody depressing.

This is exactly why we need to see a bit more of a surgical scalpel approach, instead of a sledgehammer. It's very, very easy right now for the negative momentum to spiral out of control.

It is good to be honest with how the team is playing and the situation we are in right now, but there also has to be a bit of positive reinforcement or notes along the way, too. Pure negative right now from the media would be like tossing a bunch of gas on a flame.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Ian

I would like to start by saying that your show yesterday was fantastic. Great insight, great opinions. The station needs more programming like yours.

As another poster wrote, this is a discussion board, a place to share opinions with other people on a common subject. Some people agree with some things I post, most don't, I can accept that. Heck, I am sure I will get some nasty responses to this message too. I do my best to stay within the rules of HFBoards and don't at any point owe you a personal email. If any comment I make, or anyone else for the matter really bothers you, maybe reading through this thread is a bad idea. If I owe you an email, do you also think that everyone who rips on Ceci or Dorion, etc. in HFBoards should also have to answer to them personally?? I think that for their own personal sanity, they probably would stay far far away from this site. What is supposed to happen, I email you and I immediately become happy with the station and stop posting in here??

Look Ian, I have no issue with you and find that you being on board brought insta-credibility to the station, however, you can't be on the radio all day. I also, as you can see above, like to point out things about the station that have I like (ie Simmer). I believe that Ottawa Sports fans deserve more, that's just my opinion and I am entitled to it. Just listen to the two shows I have the biggest issue with and ask yourself if the sports fan in Ottawa is getting what they deserve. Listen to TGOR and compare in to what the listener gets from TSN690 every morning. You have actively canvassed the fan base and made efforts to improve YOUR show, which is exactly what you should do, meanwhile, other hosts laugh at their listeners or dismiss them on Twitter. I am not alone here. Look through this board.

People don't care what movies Todd White hasn't seen, they like to hear an ex NHL player break down hockey games. Tim Tebow has been irrelevant for a good 5 years now, but he still gets more play on your station than the NFL playoff race does. Sports fans would rather the hosts discuss the NFL instead of discussing how each host did in the Pickem Pool. I want full segments on how the Sens can improve their powerplay, not 75% of the segment devoted to Steve's doctor's appointment followed by a 2 minute discussion.

But either way, as someone will say "Chezzz is gonna Chezz". If you don't like my opinion, please just mute or ignore me

Reactions: Stylizer1

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Caught the tail end of the show yesterday as with the iheartradio app being so poor that I barely listen these days but couldn't have agreed more with Simmer especially regarding the suggestion of say properly funding the scouting and development dept instead of making a move like acquiring and extending Burrows, would have been money better spent and likely saved in the long run.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Caught the tail end of the show yesterday as with the iheartradio app being so poor that I barely listen these days but couldn't have agreed more with Simmer especially regarding the suggestion of say properly funding the scouting and development dept instead of making a move like acquiring and extending Burrows, would have been money better spent and likely saved in the long run.
Yup. That comment he made was bang on.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
"Miss you Bill! When are you coming back!!!??"

- Eugene Melnyk, responding to Bill O'Reilly on Twitter last night.

Cant imagine why no one likes this guy.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
I would like to start by saying that your show yesterday was fantastic. Great insight, great opinions. The station needs more programming like yours.

As another poster wrote, this is a discussion board, a place to share opinions with other people on a common subject. Some people agree with some things I post, most don't, I can accept that. Heck, I am sure I will get some nasty responses to this message too. I do my best to stay within the rules of HFBoards and don't at any point owe you a personal email. If any comment I make, or anyone else for the matter really bothers you, maybe reading through this thread is a bad idea. If I owe you an email, do you also think that everyone who rips on Ceci or Dorion, etc. in HFBoards should also have to answer to them personally?? I think that for their own personal sanity, they probably would stay far far away from this site. What is supposed to happen, I email you and I immediately become happy with the station and stop posting in here??

Look Ian, I have no issue with you and find that you being on board brought insta-credibility to the station, however, you can't be on the radio all day. I also, as you can see above, like to point out things about the station that have I like (ie Simmer). I believe that Ottawa Sports fans deserve more, that's just my opinion and I am entitled to it. Just listen to the two shows I have the biggest issue with and ask yourself if the sports fan in Ottawa is getting what they deserve. Listen to TGOR and compare in to what the listener gets from TSN690 every morning. You have actively canvassed the fan base and made efforts to improve YOUR show, which is exactly what you should do, meanwhile, other hosts laugh at their listeners or dismiss them on Twitter. I am not alone here. Look through this board.

People don't care what movies Todd White hasn't seen, they like to hear an ex NHL player break down hockey games. Tim Tebow has been irrelevant for a good 5 years now, but he still gets more play on your station than the NFL playoff race does. Sports fans would rather the hosts discuss the NFL instead of discussing how each host did in the Pickem Pool. I want full segments on how the Sens can improve their powerplay, not 75% of the segment devoted to Steve's doctor's appointment followed by a 2 minute discussion.

But either way, as someone will say "Chezzz is gonna Chezz". If you don't like my opinion, please just mute or ignore me

Chezzz - of course you're entitled to your own opinion. And no, you're not obligated to send me an e-mail or anything along those lines.

I'm merely offering people on this forum a direct link to connect with me personally, to help foster a better conversation. I would prefer to lose a layer of the anonymity that stands between us - which would significantly help move the discussion in a more positive direction.

I understand the point of this forum is to vent and get angry. But when you repeatedly say things like "there is a gag order", you aren't posting your opinion; you are stating what you believe to be a fact. And that's the major difference. You want to say you hate certain segments, hosts, etc -- knock yourself out. I'm not trying to connect with you to change your opinion of hosts.

But by declining the opportunity to engage directly with me, unfortunately, you're missing out on a terrific opportunity to have a more detailed, open and honest discussion about the direction of the radio station. The ball will always be in your court - but by no means are you obligated to return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad