Speculation: The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 2, Have a Drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm in the trade Faulk club.

That's fine, but you said you'd trade for a young RHD but only give up "present 3rd or 4th liners with a 3rd or 4th line ceiling". The level of RHD you will get with that as trade currency is going to be below TVR level. TVR who is arguably our weakest defenseman will then be our 2nd best RHD and we won't have a defenseman on the roster who has ever scored more than 5 goals in their NHL career.

I'm not saying "don't trade Faulk", I'm saying the goal is to make the team better and that type of move, IMO, doesn't make the team better.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
That's fine, but you said you'd trade for a young RHD but only give up "present 3rd or 4th liners with a 3rd or 4th line ceiling". The level of RHD you will get with that as trade currency is going to be below TVR level. TVR who is arguably our weakest defenseman will then be our 2nd best RHD and we won't have a defenseman on the roster who has ever scored more than 5 goals in their NHL career.

I'm not saying "don't trade Faulk", I'm saying the goal is to make the team better and that type of move, IMO, doesn't make the team better.

I'm just looking for flexibility. The rare occasion these 1st line forwards become available we never seem to be in a position to take advantage. Faulk would seem to be one of the few players we have that main garner that kind of return. Another TVR like player would suit me fine.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm just looking for flexibility. The rare occasion these 1st line forwards become available we never seem to be in a position to take advantage. Faulk would seem to be one of the few players we have that main garner that kind of return. Another TVR like player would suit me fine.

By trading a guy with a 3rd/4th line ceiling, you'd likely be getting a guy below TVR's level, which is my point. Again, I'm not saying don't trade Faulk, I just think trading a 3rd/4th line ceiling guy for another team's RHD with a bottom pairing ceiling isn't going to allow for the moving of Faulk.

I think we see guys like Fleury and TVR getting very sheltered minutes and think "Wow, these guys are pretty good." Yet if they are given harder minutes, especially TVR, they would struggle. TVR already struggles and is, IMO, our weakest defenseman.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Gauthier of Monhahan. You guys get a top 6 power forward potential guy. We get a top 9 center who is unable to generate offense on his own. Straight up player swap. No bs, no questions asked. Thoughts?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Gauthier of Monhahan. You guys get a top 6 power forward potential guy. We get a top 9 center who is unable to generate offense on his own. Straight up player swap. No bs, no questions asked. Thoughts?

Monahan without Gaudreau still produced 22 goals and 12 points in not even a full season. Monahan is not as good as some Flames fans say, but please don't buy into OKG's narrative that he's some 3rd line winger... Gaudreau inflates Monahan's point totals by like 10 points, and remember the best RWer they've had in their careers was an overachieving Hudler, otherwise it's been weak 3rd liners at best on their offsides (Ferland shouldn't be playing RW, let alone first line RW).

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Monahan without Gaudreau still produced 22 goals and 12 points in not even a full season. Monahan is not as good as some Flames fans say, but please don't buy into OKG's narrative that he's some 3rd line winger... Gaudreau inflates Monahan's point totals by like 10 points, and remember the best RWer they've had in their careers was an overachieving Hudler, otherwise it's been weak 3rd liners at best on their offsides (Ferland shouldn't be playing RW, let alone first line RW).

Sounds a lot like the Canes situation. We have a plethora of high end 3rd liners.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panthers fan coming in peace or attempting to anyhow :laugh:

With Hanifin looking like a stud and Slavin getting the big extension, I see them as your top two LD, so my question would be, is Fleury available/expendable?

If so, what are holes/positions are you looking to fill?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

With Hanifin looking like a stud and Slavin getting the big extension, I see them as your top two LD, so my question would be, is Fleury available/expendable?

No clue if he's available, but if he was we'd probably want a young forward who can score and play in the top 6.

Reactions: Unsustainable

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No clue if he's available, but if he was we'd probably want a young forward who can score and play in the top 6.

So can he be a prospect or looking for NHL roster player?

We have Tippett, Mascherin and Borgstrom but they're all prospects.

Dadonov is 28, so not really "young", outside of that we don't have much young scoring talent. Trocheck but he's nearly untouchable for most part.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI

The players we would like from you guys, trocheck, barkov, hub, or dadonov, I doubt Fleury would suffice.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The problem with moving Fleury in a trade that doesn’t see him bundled with other assets for a quality Top 6 forward is two-fold:

1. The Canes already have what Fleury could bring back on his own. At the NHL level, depth isn’t the issue. Teravainen, Staal, Rask and Williams is a solid supporting cast. The lack of another co-star to go along with Aho, Lindholm and Skinner is the problem. The pipeline up front isn’t in bad shape. Necas is the headliner, but Roy, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, etc. are solid prospects.​

2. If the quantity for quality trade doesn't materialize, the Canes may have to part with Hanifin. As tough as it would be to let him go, having Fleury and Bean in the organization makes it easier to stomach. If Fleury isn’t there, then there isn’t as much flexibility to go out and make that big move. Having just Bean behind Slavin would leave Carolina uncomfortably thin at LD.​

I see the organization in a holding pattern for now. Perhaps once Fleury comes off of his ELC and is in line for a new contract, maybe there could be some contractual/budgetary motivation for movement. That’s another season+ away, though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ya those guys aren't for sale. Was hoping to do a prospect for prospect type of trade.

Except Fleury is now an NHL Player and the Canes are counting on him. He's also a very high pick that they've spent a lot of time developing, and who had an excellent 1st "pro" season last year in the AHL and is looking pretty good in his first NHL season. He's made steady progression so trading him for a prospect, is taking a step back. As Big Daddy said, Canes have gobs of middle six type guys, both in the NHL and AHL so trading for another one is pointless, especially if he's a prospect.

I'd rather keep Fleury and let him continue to improve and move one of our D for a bigger fish (even if it's part of a deal) than move him for a middling prospect. If that's what you are looking for, then I don't see a deal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad