Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’m in love with the Framed video — 3 AM vibes. I still can’t get over how 15/19 tracks on that album were soooo bad yet the dude still showed he’s perfectly capable of putting together good flows and riding beats like he did with Framed and Chloraseptic remix.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I’m in love with the Framed video — 3 AM vibes. I still can’t get over how 15/19 tracks on that album were soooo bad yet the dude still showed he’s perfectly capable of putting together good flows and riding beats like he did with Framed and Chloraseptic remix.
Sooo bad by Eminem "one of the top rappers of all time" standards or sooo bad in general? Because I think only the former is a fair statement. Castle, Arose, Believe, and Framed are great tracks on any Eminem album post-hiatus.

The Chloraseptic remix is awesome (the original I don't think is as bad as others thought it was, but I can see how people didn't like it).

Walk on Water is a fine track - if it wasn't released as a lead single, I really think people would have a different opinion on it. It's nothing super brilliant or anything, but it's a very honest track about how basically unreachable expectations can lead to doubt for a legendary artist. We don't see that kind of honest introspection too much in hip-hop when it comes to one's skills.

River is good for what it was: The "The Monster" of Revival.

Offended...I understand the hook can be grating for people. The verses are legit though. Does that invalidate the whole track?

I liked In Your Head, probably because I like Zombie. I would have liked a third verse though. Average track to me, for post-hiatus Eminem.

Like Home: Great hook. Would have liked a more scathing attack on Trump. Maybe he was out of ammo after Campaign Speech and the Storm. I still wouldn't call it really bad.

Remind Me and Heat: Ok, not good tracks. I think he was going for the rap-rock, playful, change-of-pace tone here similar to So Far and Rhyme or Reason from MMLP2, but the wordplay just didn't match up.

Untouchable: Second part after the beat switches is good. The first part I'm not a big fan of and will fast-forward sometimes. Joyner Lucas did it better with "I'm Not Racist."

Bad Husband: The Headlights of Revival. I don't like it as much as Headlights.

Tragic Endings: Similar to "River," a poppy song that's not bad for what it is.

Nowhere Fast: The remix is an improvement. Not the weakest track on the album. It's decent. Kehlani did a good job.

I don't think I'm missing any. If we're not comparing Revival to pre-hiatus Eminem, then I think there are only really two tracks that really don't work at all (Remind Me and Heat). Every other track is either redeemable in some way if one doesn't just focus on the negative aspect of it and expect perfection, or is a reflection of a mid-40s artist putting a mature song out addressing his past ("Bad Husband" which obviously won't be everyone's cup of tea but doesn't make it bad musically), or is the poppier type of song that we've seen from him on previous albums before (River, Tragic Endings).

Revival is probably my least favourite album of his, which isn't saying much given the career he's had, but I still think people are being hyperbolic when they say how bad it is.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Bad by both. Eminem's set a high bar, but his flow was especially sloppy on this album, along with the awful rap-rock production from Rick Rubin.

Framed, Arose and Castle were the only ones I enjoyed. I got what he was going for with Untouchable, and the second half of it was good, but the first half was again pretty sloppy and I just didn't dig it.

That said, the Chloraseptic remix and his general response to the response to the album gives me hope that we'll get something good for his next project.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Bad by both. Eminem's set a high bar, but his flow was especially sloppy on this album, along with the awful rap-rock production from Rick Rubin.

Framed, Arose and Castle were the only ones I enjoyed. I got what he was going for with Untouchable, and the second half of it was good, but the first half was again pretty sloppy and I just didn't dig it.

That said, the Chloraseptic remix and his general response to the response to the album gives me hope that we'll get something good for his next project.
The Bodied soundtrack is supposed to be coming out in a couple months, and Em writing for a battle rap movie will hopefully produce some good music.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hopefully. He's proven he can still be great when he wants to. I don't know why he didn't treat his album that way. He can get his message across without the choppy flows and awful production.

Not to mention, Em was also at a disadvantage because of the amount of hype from the "Revival" campaign and people automatically saying this was going to be his 4:44 and comparing the two. Em's set that bar, though.

On an unrelated note, I've recently become irrationally unhappy with the fact that DAMN. won the Grammy instead of Flower Boy last year lol.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Framed is one of my favourite Eminem songs in a while. Love his flow (especially on the first verse) and I don't mind the hook which seems to be an unpopular opinion.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
just realize Framed is probably the prequel to 3 AM based off the investigator looking at his clock in that interview and seeing 2:45 AM.

looking back, kinda wish people didn't hate on Relapse so much in the moment (enjoyed it much more than Recovery, and it's SOOOO much better than Revival) so that Em didn't scrap Relapse 2, but that's just me.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Framed is one of my favourite Eminem songs in a while. Love his flow (especially on the first verse) and I don't mind the hook which seems to be an unpopular opinion.
I've found some of the hooks on this album grew on me. Framed and Believe, specifically.
just realize Framed is probably the prequel to 3 AM based off the investigator looking at his clock in that interview and seeing 2:45 AM.

looking back, kinda wish people didn't hate on Relapse so much in the moment (enjoyed it much more than Recovery, and it's SOOOO much better than Revival) so that Em didn't scrap Relapse 2, but that's just me.

When he gets injected, I think that's supposed to be right before he "keels 'em" in 3am. And agreed on Relapse 2, I'd love to see it. Relapse has the 4th spot in my Eminem discog ranking, just below the trinity.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Cardi B's new album is straight garbage. Someone needs to explain to me everyone's fascination with this chick...

Gonna listen to the Jean Grae x Quelle Chris and Flatbush Zombies albums next. It shouldn't be hard but hopefully they deliver more than the Cardi B dumpster trash.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Drake just dropped ‘Nice for What’ and I’m vibing so f***ing hard to this already. Love this flow.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
So who here is actually from the hood? I get the feeling most of you aren't.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
So who here is actually from the hood? I get the feeling most of you aren't.
Can you only enjoy war movies if you're a veteran? Gotta come harder than that if you're trying to deliver a shot.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Can you only enjoy war movies if you're a veteran? Gotta come harder than that if you're trying to deliver a shot.
Nah, you can enjoy whatever you want. Just a lot of hip hop purists in this thread, and I've never met any who aren't from the burbs so I'm curious if this place is any different.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Nah, you can enjoy whatever you want. Just a lot of hip hop purists in this thread, and I've never met any who aren't from the burbs so I'm curious if this place is any different.
Gotcha. My bad for jumping to conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad