Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Royce's "Caterpillar" and its accompanying video is sick. Em with another sick feature, no choppy flow or any Revival garbage... encouraging if he is working on another project with Dre. He seemed to actually pay attention to some criticisms of Revival and stopped the choppy flow, breaks, space between lines, weird pauses, etc. and changed his cadence back to something more natural.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Royce's "Caterpillar" and its accompanying video is sick. Em with another sick feature, no choppy flow or any Revival garbage... encouraging if he is working on another project with Dre. He seemed to actually pay attention to some criticisms of Revival and stopped the choppy flow, breaks, space between lines, weird pauses, etc. and changed his cadence back to something more natural.

good to hear. Revival was pure garbage.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I don't listen to much rap anymore, i used to listen back in the 90's.This is favourite MF Doom track

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm very happy that Royce is getting some visible singles out between this and Boblo Boat. He has never done good numbers on any of his albums, and I would like to think that putting out a couple of singles that will rack up a lot of streams can help him find some more commercial success.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
This new Royce/Em is so f***ing good. Royce comes through like he always does and this is the Eminem I've been wanting for so many years

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The new Royce album is quite good, probably his best effort to date.

One of the things that the internet era has allowed rappers to do is to keep rapping into middle age, and I swear to god we're on the verge of a 40-something rapper golden age. No joke.

Reactions: Emily and Dubi Doo

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
After spending some more time with the new Royce album I'm starting to become even more convinced that a lot of the risks that he took turned out really well for him. In fact, I think the real debate will be centered around this album's status as a hip hop classic. I'm leaning on the side of yes, although there are 3-4 songs I wish would have been cut as they are weaker cuts that don't really contribute to the album's central narrative.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Gambinos new track is interedting and a bit different. Love the grinding base.

It seems similar to ultra light beam in a sense because of the beat switches/ heavy vocal sampling.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Every time i watch the “This is America” video I’m catching new stuff and references in the background of all the positive dancing. Entirely his point too. Such a great video and song.

I’ve been a fan of all his work for years. This one is something else.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’ve been a fan of all his work for years. This one is something else.
same. the guy is elite at everything he does though, from acting to music to producing and everything in between. I'm not surprised, but I don't think I expected THIS content when the title of the single leaked on Apple Music a couple of days before its release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad