Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Anyone else think Lil Wayne is the most overrated rapper of all time? I really just don't see the appeal of him at all but I consistently see him listed as a top 5 or 10 rapper.

Really? Did you live under a rock from 2004-2011?

Listen to Tha Carter 3 & 4, and then get back to me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Eminem Show
Marshall Mathers LP
Slim Shady LP
Marshall Mathers LP2
Relapse
Recovery
Revival
Encore

After a few listens, a couple parts of the album grew on me (I don’t know the names as I’m usually gaming while listening). I think it’s a little worse than Recovery, which I didn’t like.

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Reactions: H3ckt1k

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Really? Did you live under a rock from 2004-2011?

Listen to Tha Carter 3 & 4, and then get back to me.
Honestly the late 2000's are my least favorite era of mainstream hip-hop. I've heard Tha Carter 3, Da Drought 3, and No Ceilings 2 (the most unintentionally funny mixtape I've ever heard) and I just don't understand the praise he gets at all.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Tha Carter III? GOAT

"(She know what I mean!) I make it say
Wee-ooh-wee-ooh-wee (ay)
wee-ooh-wee-ooh-wee (ay)

Wee-ooh-wee-ooh-wee (like a cop car)"

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Quavo saying Culture II has 24 songs... have these idiots at 'Quality Control' (what an ironic label name) not learned their lesson? Migos is pretty narrow in their sound as it is, 24 songs that all sound the same will put me to sleep. This new age of $ / stream is hurting the idea of concept albums and having a good, cohesive album that flows well and doesn't overstay its welcome.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Drake just dropped two new songs.

Not sure how I feel about Dipolmatic Immunity yet, but I’m digging God’s Plan

Reactions: 1specter

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Quavo saying Culture II has 24 songs... have these idiots at 'Quality Control' (what an ironic label name) not learned their lesson? Migos is pretty narrow in their sound as it is, 24 songs that all sound the same will put me to sleep. This new age of $ / stream is hurting the idea of concept albums and having a good, cohesive album that flows well and doesn't overstay its welcome.

It's all about singles with this new subgenre. Produce a bargain bin of songs and see which ones stick as a hit. Throwaway songs that would have been locked away on an iTunes library now make projects.

Reactions: Voight

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Anyone else think Lil Wayne is the most overrated rapper of all time? I really just don't see the appeal of him at all but I consistently see him listed as a top 5 or 10 rapper.
I can understand not liking Wayne personally but he's the most versatile vocal performer in the last two decades of popular music.
Commercial impact, versatility, critical acclaim, plus 90% of the rappers in the last 10 years owe their steez to him and Gucci pretty lock him in as a top 5 solo rapper imo

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I can understand not liking Wayne personally but he's the most versatile vocal performer in the last two decades of popular music.
Commercial impact, versatility, critical acclaim, plus 90% of the rappers in the last 10 years owe their steez to him and Gucci pretty lock him in as a top 5 solo rapper imo
What are some examples of his versatility? I agree that he has been a large influence but for every artist he's influenced that I enjoy (Kendrick Lamar) there are probably 2 or 3 that I think are horrible (Young Thug) so I don't consider his influence entirely positive. Also things like commercial impact and critical claim shouldn't affect anyone's personal views on Wayne as an artist.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
What are some examples of his versatility? I agree that he has been a large influence but for every artist he's influenced that I enjoy (Kendrick Lamar) there are probably 2 or 3 that I think are horrible (Young Thug) so I don't consider his influence entirely positive. Also things like commercial impact and critical claim shouldn't affect anyone's personal views on Wayne as an artist.
Is the question is Wayne good? Or is it why is Wayne considered top 5? The first is subjective and as I said is up to the listener to decide.
The 2nd is answered by the critical acclaim/commercial impact as stated. My personal views on Wayne aren't influenced by other people but the reason many people put him top 5 is because he's had an impact on vast majority of the hip hop audience worldwide.

As for the influences, who you particularly enjoy as it pertains to Wayne's offspring doesn't really have any bearing on the initial question.
The fact that two artists as divergent as Thug and Kendrick can both cite Wayne as a primary influence speaks to his versatility and depth.

Here's some songs you can check out if you haven't already:
-What Happened to That Boy Freestyle
-I Feel Like Dying
-Best Rapper Alive
-Let the Beat Build
-Shook Ones Freestyle
-Curren$y f. Lil Wayne-Smoke Sumthin

Duffle Bag Boy, etc. for pure hookcraft. No Ceilings mixtape in general see him killing and improving upon everything from ringtone rap instrumentals to 2000's classics.
Not to mention this is the guy that made Lollipop an international smash among many others, of questionable quality I'll admit

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Migos all sounds the same now. I liked their original mixtapes (No Label2 for ex) but these days I don't care to download their albums. I like the bangers like Bad & Boujee but most of their albums are 3/4 trash.

Drake just dropped two new songs.

Not sure how I feel about Dipolmatic Immunity yet, but I’m digging God’s Plan

Diplomatic Immunity is like Two Birds One Stone. Not a massive fan of the beat on it but lyrically its fantastic.

Tha Carter 3+4 are his best works (arguably), listen to them and you'll see.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Diplomatic Immunity is like Two Birds One Stone. Not a massive fan of the beat on it but lyrically its fantastic.

Yeah after a few more days listening to it, I can vibe to it.

God's Plan stuck with me the very first time I heard it - love everything about it.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Is the question is Wayne good? Or is it why is Wayne considered top 5? The first is subjective and as I said is up to the listener to decide.
The 2nd is answered by the critical acclaim/commercial impact as stated. My personal views on Wayne aren't influenced by other people but the reason many people put him top 5 is because he's had an impact on vast majority of the hip hop audience worldwide.
My question is "What do people see in Wayne that makes him good enough to be listed in their list of the top rappers of all time?', speaking strictly about his music.
As for the influences, who you particularly enjoy as it pertains to Wayne's offspring doesn't really have any bearing on the initial question.
The fact that two artists as divergent as Thug and Kendrick can both cite Wayne as a primary influence speaks to his versatility and depth.
I think it's more of a result of two artists starting out as Wayne biters and then developing into something else rather than any versatility on Wayne's part.
Here's some songs you can check out if you haven't already:
-What Happened to That Boy Freestyle
-I Feel Like Dying
-Best Rapper Alive
-Let the Beat Build
-Shook Ones Freestyle
-Curren$y f. Lil Wayne-Smoke Sumthin

Duffle Bag Boy, etc. for pure hookcraft. No Ceilings mixtape in general see him killing and improving upon everything from ringtone rap instrumentals to 2000's classics.
Not to mention this is the guy that made Lollipop an international smash among many others, of questionable quality I'll admit
Tha Carter 3+4 are his best works (arguably), listen to them and you'll see.
I'll check these out.

Reactions: Lotusflower
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad