OT: The Off Topic Thread Part IV: Monkey Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Nice! Yeah, like I've been to Edmonton a hundred times but I need to go for an actual game haha. Same for California.

Yeah it's funny how close we are to Edmonton and I've never been there to watch a game. My uncle lives up there but he hates the Oilers so he wouldn't ever be caught dead there unless the Bruins are in town. I'll have to try convincing my cousin to go up there with me one of these days.

Phoenix, Florida, all the places I know are super cheap, those are gonna be a places that I target when I know I haven't been to a game for a while but I don't have a lot of money :laugh:

I *think* Florida will be on the list for next year. My sisters want to go see the new Harry Potter expansion at Universal so I'll go with. Last time we were in Florida, both the Lighting and Panthers were on road trips.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the only game I'll get to this year is January in Vancouver. I'm trying to organize a trip with my girlfriend and all of our Canuck-fan friends. Should be lots of fun. I actually have a pretty remarkable record at Flames/Canucks games considering how poorly we do against them overall. The past few seasons, we've basically only won one game against them per season, and I've been at all of those victories. Didn't get out to a game last year, unfortunately.

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
I cant wait to go see an NHL game live period. i was close to going to a game in montreal but had to leave a day before the game

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
Well, good thing you're moving here!

yeah thats all depending on the company im in contact with Tarpon Energy we talked about a job in calgary in september now its looking like Estevan Saskatchewan im supposed to be getting an interview with them in the next couple weeks so my trip to calgary is postponed for now :rant:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
To tell my son I'm really his father.

TFG, I think we need to have a little talk........

*sniff* Dad, is that really you?

Another question, this time hockey, though...

There's a debate on the main boards, who is the better hockey country (in terms of producing talent/international results): USA or Sweden?

Personally, here's my rankings:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. USA
5. Russia

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
*sniff* Dad, is that really you?

Another question, this time hockey, though...

There's a debate on the main boards, who is the better hockey country (in terms of producing talent/international results): USA or Sweden?

Personally, here's my rankings:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. USA
5. Russia

I think I'd go:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia
4. USA
5. Finland

In terms of "hockey country," I think you have to put Sweden over USA no matter what. There's just a ton more interest per capita there than in the US.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I think I'd go:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia
4. USA
5. Finland

In terms of "hockey country," I think you have to put Sweden over USA no matter what. There's just a ton more interest per capita there than in the US.

Surprised you have Russia in the top three, especially considering their two Olympics!

And yeah, I agree with you're last sentence. Especially down South, it's all college football and NASCAR

Aug 3, 2010
I'd rather separate the categories of international titles vs talent production.

International Results:
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia

Talent Production:
1. Canada
2. USA (very close with Sweden, almost a tie)
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Surprised you have Russia in the top three, especially considering their two Olympics!

And yeah, I agree with you're last sentence. Especially down South, it's all college football and NASCAR

Well, I wasn't really looking too much at how their international teams play as a team. I was just looking more at talent production. Finland does well at the international tournaments because all Finnish players seem extremely willing to buy into their international system and play a successful style, and because they seemingly always bring the best goalies. In terms of producing players, I think Russia has the edge.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I didn't expect that either! That's awesome; what are some of your favorite bands/songs?

They're done with Japan and are now taking over the rest of the world :laugh:

Most of my favorites are early 90's British acts like: My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Slowdive, Pale Saints, The Verve, Catherine Wheel, Jesus and Mary Chain.

Newer acts I am into are: The Horrors, Splashh, Hammock, Cheatahs.

Mostly British acts really. How about yourself?

what's a shoegazer? sounds like a chick who window shops for shoes

:laugh:

This is Shoegaze:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I'd rather separate the categories of international titles vs talent production.

International Results:
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia

Talent Production:
1. Canada
2. USA (very close with Sweden, almost a tie)
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland

Would definitely go with these rankings, too. The only reason why I have Finland as a top 3 country in hockey, is because of their consistent play in the Olympics, WJC's, and WHC's (even though those aren't best on best). While they haven't won many golds (one gold in the WJC in the past five years, a few in the WHC's), they have almost always medaled in the Olympics (bronze in 2010, 2014, silver in 2006, and bronze in 1998). Meanwhile, if the USA doesn't medal, then they usually do quite bad (excluding 2014).

Well, I wasn't really looking too much at how their international teams play as a team. I was just looking more at talent production. Finland does well at the international tournaments because all Finnish players seem extremely willing to buy into their international system and play a successful style, and because they seemingly always bring the best goalies. In terms of producing players, I think Russia has the edge.

Definitely agree with you on Russia being better talent wise. In all honesty, Finland hasn't produced a Malkin/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk in quite a while.

The reason why I think Finland's goalies look so good in the Olympics is because of their style (defensive trap).

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Don't tell that to the Finns, they think Barkov is the next Malkin or Joe Thorton.

I think Barkov will be comparable to Nicklas Backstrom. Obviously not similar playing style, but similar stats (consistently getting 60/70 points a year, while occasionally hitting 80+).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Mine would be:

1) Canada
2) Sweden
3) USA
4) Finland
5) Russia

Almost had Russia at 4, but I am seeing a lot more Finnish prospects/players.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Most of my favorites are early 90's British acts like: My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Slowdive, Pale Saints, The Verve, Catherine Wheel, Jesus and Mary Chain.

Newer acts I am into are: The Horrors, Splashh, Hammock, Cheatahs.

Mostly British acts really. How about yourself?

:laugh:

This is Shoegaze:
how can you listen to something where they are clearly torturing animals?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Don't tell that to the Finns, they think Barkov is the next Malkin or Joe Thorton.

I think Barkov will be comparable to Nicklas Backstrom. Obviously not similar playing style, but similar stats (consistently getting 60/70 points a year, while occasionally hitting 80+).

The comparison between Barkov and Backstrom isn't a great example. Backstrom is basically a point per game player, he's just 1 point off.

Barkov is comparable to a Kopitar like player. Not saying he will become him, but the playing style is similar. The Finns can be happy if they want. A Thornton comparison isn't all that bad, but like I said, closer to Kopitar. Time will tell.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Realistic goals:
- watch a game at every NHL stadium
- go diving with a whale shark

Unlikely goals:
- go into space

This post reminds me, I've always wanted to go deep sea diving into an old, sunk ship; I think that'd be pretty awesome!

Of course, going into space is pretty cool too. :laugh:

For a hockey list, I'd love to:

- Go to a Team Canada Gold Medal Game at the Olympics
- Go to a Stanley Cup Final Game
- Go to a Game 7 Playoff Game
- See a hockey brawl live
- Go to a meaningful WJC game (who knows, 2017 possibly?)
- Long shot, but go to every NHL arena to see the Flames play
- See a hockey game in Europe (Sweden/Finland) and Russia (KHL)

If I could do half of that, I'd be pretty happy (especially the Olympics, SC Finals and Game 7).

Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
This post reminds me, I've always wanted to go deep sea diving into an old, sunk ship; I think that'd be pretty awesome!

Of course, going into space is pretty cool too. :laugh:

Actually when I did my certification a few years back in Jamaica, one of our first open water dives was through sunken ship. It wasn't incredibly deep, but it was still neat to swim and explore through all the different levels.

I think regular trips into space will happen in our lifetime, though whether or not they'll be affordable is a whole other question.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Actually when I did my certification a few years back in Jamaica, one of our first open water dives was through sunken ship. It wasn't incredibly deep, but it was still neat to swim and explore through all the different levels.

I think regular trips into space will happen in our lifetime, though whether or not they'll be affordable is a whole other question.

Wow, that's awesome! Never really looked into it, but I'm guessing scuba diving is pretty expensive?

And I believe (don't quote me on this) they are already taking normal people up into a capsule to view space. Of course, these 'normal people' are multi-millionaires. :laugh:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Wow, that's awesome! Never really looked into it, but I'm guessing scuba diving is pretty expensive?

You should be able to get your open water certification for under $300 pretty easily. That would include lessons and exams, any equipment rentals, and textbook purchases. Some dive shops usually have a beginner's special for like $50 or so where they take you into the pool, get you all suited up, teach you some basics and have you swim around and try some exercises to see if it's for you and if you decide to continue, the money is credited towards your certification lessons.

Then after you get certified, anytime you want to go diving at most tourist spots, it probably wouldn't cost more than $100-150 for two typical dives including equipment rentals (ie: something like a reef or wreck dive at a local site). Not bad considering 1) there's usually a guide with you and 2) they need to take you out to the site by boat.

Once you get your open water, you can do specialty stuff like underwater photography, drysuit, night diving, etc, and those certifications don't cost much more than $100-150 depending on how involving it is. And anything you take gets credited towards advanced certifications.

So I don't really consider that too expensive at the recreational level considering we could easily spend the same amount at a hockey game.

And I believe (don't quote me on this) they are already taking normal people up into a capsule to view space. Of course, these 'normal people' are multi-millionaires. :laugh:

Yeah there's a few companies that do it and I think it's very experimental and in it's early stages of planning. It'll be a long while until they start having commercial flights up into space, not to mention expensive!

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Some pics from the last wreck dive I did in Mexico back in 2010.

4641386768_7bf49a35bc_z.jpg

4641386828_d7738a6fb2_z.jpg

4646974784_4a302b4ea9_z.jpg

4654357519_d05afd7de8_z.jpg

Barracuda!
4654357583_6e6e4c0dfb_z.jpg

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This won't happen in our lifetime, but I can't wait until they drill tunnels through the core of the earth, thus creating a gravity train. This will allow you to travel to the other side of the world in 45 minutes.

UC, those are awesome pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad