GDT: The NHL Trade Deadline: More Trades Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Leave Stan alone! :laugh:

Seriously I'll miss the old curmudgeon when he's no longer there even with his goofy alliteration like that blog.

ya, a great dude. he is where he belongs. hes always been an islander guy. glad we had a taste for a while. stan the man!

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NYR were big winners this deadline, they got a haul for Nash and McD. Buffalo would probably be the biggest loser, pretty poor return on a great player because of his toxic off-ice issues and them overplaying their hand.

TB, BOS, VGK, and WIN are all obviously the teams to beat right now, they were before this weekend and all of them improved.

We did pretty well all things considered. We got some good players at very reasonable prices. Successful day for us. I don't think we're Cup contenders by any stretch but I think we got much stronger and will surprise a lot of people. Now all we have to do is get healthy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I actually wasn't impressed with the Ranger haul on the McD trade considering they also dealt Miller too. They would have been better off trading both seperately but bizarrely it seems as if Tampa is Rangers South just like Arizona is Rangers West.

I think it was a seller's market for the most part cause the top teams dropped the hammer early on. We were one of the few non-top teams that was a real buyer. Most of the others - Vegas, the Jets, Pitt, Boston, Tampa - are clearly in a top position and souping up for the playoffs. Most of the bubble teams took a pass or made more conservative moves than us. Columbus made a couple of small moves, that was about it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Tampa was the biggest winner. They got a fair deal for McD and somehow got Miller thrown in.

Vegas did well for themselves too.

Rangers most likely did the best on the sellers side. They actually went through with it and sold and got good returns overall. Nothing earth shattering, but still decent enough.

Ottawa has to be a big loser here because of just how big a mess they are. I guess it is redeemed if they can get value for EK at the draft.

Buffalo is definitely a loser. Needed to sell more. Detroit did ok, but feel like they could have done more.

Blues are definitely a loser. Jets are winners, but not big time because I don’t see Stats as that great an upgrade.

I can’t call Boston a winner. That Nash trade is bad.

I think we did well

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm just happy we got someone who actually understands today's game and is a master at making trades.

I will forever love Lou for what he gave us prior to the salary cap but after that, he was probably one of the worst to adjust. The fact that he still holds on to that "no facial hair" nonsense, cause he told Plekanec to shave his goatee, is enough for me to say so.

The fact that this has any impact on how you feel about a GM is pretty ridiculous.

These people are 'professionals', and part of an organization - and sometimes having people conform to something in order to understand their relation to the team as a whole might just have something larger to do with things, than the desire to have a beard. I don't expect alot of people to get the concept of 'being a part of something bigger than themselves'... and even fewer to value 'institutions' ....

because nothing is bigger than themselves and the common groupthink is to break down institutions rather than build them up.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think Tampa was the biggest winner. They got a fair deal for McD and somehow got Miller thrown in.

Vegas did well for themselves too.

Rangers most likely did the best on the sellers side. They actually went through with it and sold and got good returns overall. Nothing earth shattering, but still decent enough.

Ottawa has to be a big loser here because of just how big a mess they are. I guess it is redeemed if they can get value for EK at the draft.

Buffalo is definitely a loser. Needed to sell more. Detroit did ok, but feel like they could have done more.

Blues are definitely a loser. Jets are winners, but not big time because I don’t see Stats as that great an upgrade.

I can’t call Boston a winner. That Nash trade is bad.

I think we did well

Agree with just about all of this. Amazed that Miller got thrown in -

I would've liked an LHD - but the ask would be too much for this team.

All said - we gave up just about nothing and added forward depth. Good stuff. Not sure how what happens to the guys on the bottom now -

Hope we don't end up waiving Coleman or Noesen, or sending Bratt down. That would certainly dim things for me.

I don't know if Hayes and Stafford both get waived, or else that means someone else is heading.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Rags did about what you'd expect them to do when you aggregate their moves. Slightly better than you'd think with Boston, but Tampa got the better of them in that McDonagh/Miller deal.

McDonagh is outstanding and still only 28.

The assets that the Rags got from Tampa are nothing special really. They have to walk away from that trade with Sergachev and they didn't.

I have not been impressed with the Rags drafting and over all talent evaluation. I understand they have traded away a lot of top picks but they've balanced that out by heavily wooing the college chumps. And Vesey and Hayes are both disappointments. Buchnevich is going to be just ok but pretty good value for a 3rd. But there are also a lot of middle round Brandon Halversons or Keegan Iversons, Aleksi Saarela, Sean Day. These are nobody's. I wouldn't have the utmost faith in the using the assets they got of late properly

And of course the nightmare scenario is if Shesterkin (who I'm not high on) turns out to be mediocre or bad and there is nobody there to replace Lundqvist. Or if Shattenkirk declines fast post 30. There are a lot of other holes that may open up while they're supposedly shoring up certain areas.

Rebuilds are no sure things. For every perfectly done Blackhawks rebuild there are tons of stop and start Islander, Oilers, Panthers, Carolina. Rebuilds that have been marred by bad luck, injuries, poor drafting etc.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I just can't believe the Rangers couldn't even get Cal Foote in a McDonagh deal where they also included JT Miller.

That's just incredibly weak by Gorton.

Never understood the fuss about Gorton. I have seen nothing out of him that leads me to believe he's going to be a brilliant GM or shrewd trader.

I think if you're a top GM you don't budge on McDonagh (who is young enough to still be an important piece of your own puzzle when the rebuild is complete) unless Foote or Sergachev is coming back. And he blinked.

And they should've held onto JT Miller. Good speedy forward who has size and was on the ascent until this year. Namestnikov is smaller and a product of his linemates. Howden is kind of a grinder. Not a great overall skill set.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The assets that the Rags got from Tampa are nothing special really. They have to walk away from that trade with Sergachev and they didn't.

Sergachev was never going to happen, so I don't fault Gorton there.

TSN reported after the fact that Yzerman was adamant about Foote not being included. If I'm Gorton, that's where I walk away.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They really should have just waited till the draft if A) they couldn’t get either of the two top prospects or B) they had to throw in Miller too. I can understand one happening but not both.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They really should have just waited till the draft if A) they couldn’t get either of the two top prospects or B) they had to throw in Miller too. I can understand one happening but not both.

It hurt their final value. Also think they could have gotten more for Grabner if they waited a bit. The prices on these forwards started to get out of hand.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017

but if you wait for the draft the cup chance is gone. this was an all in move and they really didnt give up all that much but they gave enough for the rangers to be happy. sergachev is still there..... and you know the rangers wanted him.

just an interesting trade all around.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
but if you wait for the draft the cup chance is gone. this was an all in move and they really didnt give up all that much but they gave enough for the rangers to be happy. sergachev is still there..... and you know the rangers wanted him.

just an interesting trade all around.

I was referring to the Rangers as the team who should have waited, they didn’t get max return at all

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
I was referring to the Rangers as the team who should have waited, they didn’t get max return at all

ah ok, yeah they didnt but im sure they are happy with what they got. there is a chance that waiting for the summer wouldve returned even less. i would have no complaint if i were a ranger fan. sergachev wouldve been nice but stevie y didnt budge i guess.

also have to consider future trades in these deals. i have no doubt you will see a head scratch move with edm for the devs soon. maybe there were some behind the scenes promises made.... who knows. thats just conspiracy but if it is what it is fair deal give or take some pieces.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This is more what I'm talking about. The TB deal was fine for value, as was the Grabner deal. But Nash is.....Boston traded for name and reputation.

Iirc Spooner was similar to what we were able to with Palmieri. They probably werent going to pay the price he’d get on his next deal. At least I think that’s what I read.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Tampa is the team to beat after this trade deadline.

They picked up a top pairing D man who might play on their 2nd pair and somehow got JT Miller thrown in to replace the one roster player they gave up in Namestikov who’s stats were inflated playing top line minutes with Stamkos and Kucherov. All without giving up their top few prospects. Great deal for them.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
At the end of the day, NYR has three first round picks in a deep draft.

You can spin it anyway you like, but anyone that claims they got "fleeced" are kidding themselves and being partisans.

We would KILL to have that luxury. Here's to hoping they pick three Hugh Jessimans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad