GDT: The NHL Trade Deadline: More Trades Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
i'll give us a B+. woulda been cool to shore up the D somehow, but oh well. will be happy if we can get to 2nd rd this playoff season

It wasn’t realistic to expect another D move at this point. That kind of deal is an offseason move. McDoughnut was the only realistic available piece and I didn’t want to pay that price.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They also like Moore. I think they like Stafford and Hayes as a 13th and 14th forward and honestly they are fine in that role. Hayes was decent in his spot appearances lately. They just aren’t every day players and I doubt there was any real market for them.

If Gibbons comes back now they'll be more like 14th and 15th forwards lol...I can't even begin to predict the lineup

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Maroon-Zacha-Grabner
Wood-Zajac-Bratt
Coleman-Boyle-Gibbons
Noesen/Stafford/Hayes

?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Gibbons comes back now they'll be more like 14th and 15th forwards lol...I can't even begin to predict the lineup

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Maroon-Zacha-Grabner
Wood-Zajac-Bratt
Coleman-Boyle-Gibbons
Noesen/Stafford/Hayes

?

I think I keep Maroon in the bottom 6 unless he shows his recent numbers are not a McDavid product.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
My initial reaction to Maroon was WTF, but the value was very good given it's a 3rd next year and a prospect who will never see the NHL for us.

I just wonder who comes out of the lineup. Likely Stafford, but it wouldn't shock me if they now try and sit Bratt every now and then to prevent him from hitting the wall even harder.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The transformation of our forward group really has been something else.

Just from the end of last offseason we've either added or promoted 9 of the current 15 forwards. Granted five of them are fourth-liners/healthy scratch guys at this point but still.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If you had shown me this roster when Shero started, I would have laughed at you.

I'm just happy we got someone who actually understands today's game and is a master at making trades.

I will forever love Lou for what he gave us prior to the salary cap but after that, he was probably one of the worst to adjust. The fact that he still holds on to that "no facial hair" nonsense, cause he told Plekanec to shave his goatee, is enough for me to say so.

Reactions: kyle evs48

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Shero added 6 top 6 players. You don’t really do that in 3 years. Drafting well was a big part of it too. He quite literally added an entire top 9 to the lineup.

Hall, Hischier, Palmieri —> 3 top line guys
Johansson, Zacha, Grabner, Bratt—>3-4 top 6 guys

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I will forever love Lou for what he gave us prior to the salary cap but after that, he was probably one of the worst to adjust. The fact that he still holds on to that "no facial hair" nonsense, cause he told Plekanec to shave his goatee, is enough for me to say so.

i feel the same way. thanks for the memories, no thanks for f***ing us over on the way out. a combined score of: go f*** yourself

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Not a fan of the trade TBH. Guy is the product of playing with the best player in the world. Even more so not a fan after his comments. Whatever.

Depends on the context of the question but either way in the end it really isn't much of a big deal that a player who enjoyed playing in a city says he wants to go back there. Doesn't mean it will work out that way. Maybe it turns out he loves it here. Maybe it turns out another team gives him a sweet deal that is hard for him to pass up. Really isn't much to read into it.

My initial reaction to Maroon was WTF, but the value was very good given it's a 3rd next year and a prospect who will never see the NHL for us.

I just wonder who comes out of the lineup. Likely Stafford, but it wouldn't shock me if they now try and sit Bratt every now and then to prevent him from hitting the wall even harder.

Stafford and Hayes will likely see significantly less time.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
lmfao, wrong app

As got this trade, I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t like it. Maroon is a nice pickup for what Ray paid, which was basically nothing.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
stafford and hayes should be put into a rocket and fired into the sun at this point

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
My concern with maroon is he's so freaking slow. As Patrick OSullivan said he skates like he has a piano on his back.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We need someone we can park in front of the net. Lack of screens and garbage goals was an issue.

Also getting tougher along the boards helps. We have plenty of speed elsewhere to balance it out.

Yeah, but we already had enough slow guys to slow half the lineup down. If he was a Boyle replacement then fine, but now we have Zajac, Boyle, Maroon, Hayes, Stafford; all of which are damn slow. I know they won't be all playing at once, but I worried we have enough now to spread all over the lineup...

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'm just happy we got someone who actually understands today's game and is a master at making trades.

I saw today that they made Plekanec shave, and I just found that ridiculous. What year is it again?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, but we already had enough slow guys to slow half the lineup down. If he was a Boyle replacement then fine, but now we have Zajac, Boyle, Maroon, Hayes, Stafford; all of which are damn slow. I know they won't be all playing at once, but I worried we have enough now to spread all over the lineup...

Hayes and Stafford are only playing when Bratt needs a rest at this point. Maroon's replacing one of them and Grabner/Gibbons are going to replace the other. Zajac, Boyle and Maroon should be our only 'slow' skaters in the lineup once everyone's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad