Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
spot on.

We saw this with Hamhuis and even an extent Timonen as well but not nearly as bad as it has been with Suter. Suter is a fantastic defenseman but he's not better than Weber.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'd love to see a study or numbers on true top end talent and where it was picked. We get in a tizzy because we never draft high so we can't land top end talent. While it's great to be able to pick top end guys they aren't always top 5 or even top 10 picks.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I'd love to see a study or numbers on true top end talent and where it was picked. We get in a tizzy because we never draft high so we can't land top end talent. While it's great to be able to pick top end guys they aren't always top 5 or even top 10 picks.

I can help here. :)

I've used a metric called ADV (Approximate Draft Value) to measure the relative value of a team's picks over time. Simply put, you take each individual player's career games played, divide it by maximum number of games scheduled for the player's team, and then add up whatever group you want to measure - number one draft picks, groups of picks, whatever. It changes as years go on until it maxes out at 1,760 games (Gordie's record for games played in the NHL). In large groups, ADV comes close to telling you how many NHL-caliber players a team drafts, or how many NHL-caliber players come from a particular part/area of the draft.

The ADV for the top five picks in the draft, between 1998 and 2012, is 49.36.

The ADV of all Predator draft picks, 1998-2012, is 13.93.

Colorado, which has the best draft history in the NHL over the past 25 years, had an ADV of 15.63 since 1998.

The ADV of all number one draft picks, 1998-2012, is 12.10.

In theory, if all we would have had from 1998 to 2012 is number one overall picks, we would have probably had approximately two players less in terms of NHL talent than we actually drafted.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
JW, I'm not even talking about guys that have played in the NHL but the impact from where they were drafted. Crosby is an easy one, Number 1 pick and dominant player. Then you look at Datsyuk and Zetterberg and they were mid rounders with a pretty good impact as well. I think what I was asking is let's get a list of the top 50 forwards in the NHL and see where they were drafted and see how this shakes out. I'd be surprised at where some of these guys came from but the old adage of us needing top 5 picks to land superstars is a bit farfetched for me to really go, yeah, that's why we don't have any impact forwards.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't think much of it has to do with Trotz. There was another thread some time back where we were hashing this out, and there are just a lot of teams, especially in the Western Conference, that just don't seem attractive to free agents.
Part of being a GM is SELLING your team to free agents and your own players. It's building up 'your brand' over time.

Poile is horrible at this. All three of our big free agent signings (Kariya, Arnott, Dumont) publicity stated they had to contact us. So no, I have no faith the Poile has been working the free agent market with good ability. He's just too passive and complacent-- which applies to trading as well.

Weber and Suter called him out this-- saying they want to see moves made to improve scoring before signing long term contracts. Poile sat still for too long. As a last ditch effort to convince them (and change the Predator 'brand'), he burned through a ton of our assets at the deadline of '12 for a short-term experiment. Too little too late for Suter/Weber... Poile's passivity and complacency will always be a part of him. It is the Predator and Poile brand.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Dulz, I agree with you on this.

What kills me is Nashville is a wonderful city and is easy to sell.. Look at the players that retired ended their career here that stayed here, like Jay Moore, Dan Kezcmer, Stu, Dumont, who am I missing? I know Fiddler and Sullivan both had planned on moving back here, but don't know if either actually will, I do know both loved Nashville.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I just don't think it's that simple. Now Nashville would be at the top of my list if my wife and I could move anywhere (and I really hope we can someday), but Anaheim, LA, San Jose and Vancouver are all very appealing as well, and they have the same problem attracting top free agents. I wouldn't say those are all failures on the GMs' parts. Throw in Phoenix and a few others as places I'd think most people would rather live over somewhere like...Philly for example, and yet the Flyers are always a prime FA destination. Probably part is endorsements from being near the prime NY media market, and maybe a little is the travel, but I don't see the appeal to a lot of these popular FA spots otherwise. Sort of defies logic.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
That was humiliating! We couldn't do a damn thing right all night. Hendricks needs to sit. I want Trotz on the hot seat, I want Poile on the hot seat. Team toughness my ass. Doesn't do a damn thing if you can't score!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
There is not a single forward on our team that is in the top 100 snipers in the league. STL players were nailing corners all night long while we put shot after shot off Halak's blue note. We just have no one that can shoot well, period.

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
There is not a single forward on our team that is in the top 100 snipers in the league. STL players were nailing corners all night long while we put shot after shot off Halak's blue note. We just have no one that can shoot well, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Austin Watson.

If you get as chance you should see his snipe for the last goal of the game tonight for the Ads.

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
Our Forwards

I was looking at the team stats so far for this season and nine of our forwards have one goal or less. I know it is early in the season but that isn't encouraging.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Last night was the 2nd most embarrassing home performance I've been to in person, the other was against Atlanta a few years back and the score was even worse. Our passing, as always, was abysmal compared to the Blues'. Do these guys not practice passing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad