The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Preseason NBA on TNT had a higher TV rating than the Preds did last night in Nashville. Also, our game only had twice the viewers as low-budget high school football on whatever channel it's on. Ridiculous.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Preseason NBA on TNT had a higher TV rating than the Preds did last night in Nashville. Also, our game only had twice the viewers as low-budget high school football on whatever channel it's on. Ridiculous.

Also the game was in Nashville so alot of people who would watch it were at the game. The current rating system is ridiculous.

But the High School part is ridiculous. Hockey will never thrive here like that.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Also the game was in Nashville so alot of people who would watch it were at the game. The current rating system is ridiculous.

But the High School part is ridiculous. Hockey will never thrive here like that.
I guarantee no more than 6,000 people at the game last night would've gone out of their way to watch the game if they weren't there. I'm not a believer that that makes much difference.

As far as I'm concerned, I dont care if hockey "thrives" here, as long as people keep going to games, whatever the reason.

PS I have a feeling this article could get some reaction from posters here:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/18/sutter-on-preds-they-play-the-same-way-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over/

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I guarantee no more than 6,000 people at the game last night would've gone out of their way to watch the game if they weren't there. I'm not a believer that that makes much difference.

As far as I'm concerned, I dont care if hockey "thrives" here, as long as people keep going to games, whatever the reason.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/18/sutter-on-preds-they-play-the-same-way-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over/
I don't think you can argue with Sutter. It's what we've known here forever.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN

I have no problem with Sutter's comments as they are pretty accurate. Honestly for a guy that was a huge fan of his big brother Brian growing up, that's actually a pretty high compliment from a Sutter brother.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
no problem with his comments. its the truth. its why we are so competitive year in year out. but also why we can't hit the next level imo.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
My issue wasn't with him making the comments, I was more thinking the anti-Trotz crowd would just use this as another reason to be up in arms

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
My issue wasn't with him making the comments, I was more thinking the anti-Trotz crowd would just use this as another reason to be up in arms

im trying to be more positive this season. i do feel that way to be honest though.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm not entirely sure if he's trying to be funny or complimentary. Sutter is a very similar type of coach and doesn't run all that different a ship. He does have a fair bit of offensive talent more to work with, however.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Trotz only has himself to blame. He said he sat down with Poile and targeted the players we signed in the offseason.
They probably also targeted some more skilled players first, but then they all told us to shove it, and we had to sign guys who would actually play for us. Nobody sits in a room and has Matt Hendricks and Eric Nystrom at the top of their board for free agency.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
They probably also targeted some more skilled players first, but then they all told us to shove it, and we had to sign guys who would actually play for us. Nobody sits in a room and has Matt Hendricks and Eric Nystrom at the top of their board for free agency.
LOL

best post ive ever read in my life. seriously.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Well played Drake and I agree. But I also think Trotz has been here too long. How much of free agents turning us down was Trotz being the coach? I know it's mostly cause we are Nashville but still.

Has Poile ever drafted any finishers/pure goal scorers besides Rads?

Really hoping we don't embarrass ourselves tomorrow.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well played Drake and I agree. But I also think Trotz has been here too long. How much of free agents turning us down was Trotz being the coach? I know it's mostly cause we are Nashville but still.

Has Poile ever drafted any finishers/pure goal scorers besides Rads?

Really hoping we don't embarrass ourselves tomorrow.

I don't think much of it has to do with Trotz. There was another thread some time back where we were hashing this out, and there are just a lot of teams, especially in the Western Conference, that just don't seem attractive to free agents. It's not just us, it's also Vancouver, LA, San Jose, Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, Phoenix, St. Louis, etc... Anybody outside the New England/New York area, Eastern Canada, and the Great Lakes, generally seem to have bad track records as top-tier FA destinations.

We can put the lack of a finisher on drafting, but our drafting record for producing NHL players is fairly solid overall. There have definitely been mistakes (Pickard? is Wilson going to be the player we hope he'll be?), but a lot of it can be attributed to our average draft position as well. It's a bit optimistic to assume that the likes of Watson, Aberg, Leipsic, Sissons, etc... are going to drastically change much though.

We have had some ups and downs with acquiring talent through trades, which is where we'll need to get it if we can't draft or sign it. Our trade depth has been depleted in recent years, so it's tough to blame Poile for not bringing in a top scorer at will at the moment, but I would like to see us be able to make such a deal in the next few seasons, if we have not acquired the desired scoring depth through other means. The Forsberg trade was a good start, but only a small piece of the puzzle. A lot will depend upon the organization's continued ability to develop defensemen, the progression of Ellis/Ekholm, and the health of Josi, so that one of Josi, Klein, etc... can be traded for an offensive asset.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I meant over Poile's career as a GM. And unfortunately, the draft is how you build a team these days. Some of the teams you mentioned, don't need a lot of FA talent, they have a ton of their own, LA, Vancouver in particular. Though I could be wrong on how much home grown talent there is on those teams. Still Poile has fumbled badly in our drafting when we really couldn't afford to do that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I meant over Poile's career as a GM. And unfortunately, the draft is how you build a team these days. Some of the teams you mentioned, don't need a lot of FA talent, they have a ton of their own, LA, Vancouver in particular. Though I could be wrong on how much home grown talent there is on those teams. Still Poile has fumbled badly in our drafting when we really couldn't afford to do that.

Lombardi had the luxury of inheriting Kopitar, Brown and Quick from Dave Taylor (Kopitar falling to 11 was a mistake by many teams that season), and continued to put out some pretty poor teams for his first few seasons, which enabled him some pretty high draft picks, and also dump players for more draft picks. Poile hasn't really had the luxury of that high a draft position or the ability to sell off assets to tank due to the team's need to stay competitive to retain the fanbase. FWIW, even Lombardi has busted on more than a few 1sts (Hickey at #4, Teubert at #13, Bernier is a great goaltender, but probably a waste of the #11 etc...).

And again, Poile's drafted a considerable amount of NHL talent, with the number of defensemen coming out of the system being especially impressive. Only drawback is the top-end talent, which is real tough to nab when drafting outside the top 10 most seasons. Could definitely, and always, be better, but a poor draft record would not see this organization having the amount of consistent regular season success it has enjoyed over its lifespan.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
nope, they said they got the players they targeted.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
nope, they said they got the players they targeted.

Do you really think they would really come out and say that the real players they targeted didn't want to come here? I really doubt it. This team is not a destination spot, and really probably never will be. It probably ranks in the bottom 7 or 8 places to go. When they say they got what they targeted, I think they meant size, grit and speed, not these exact players in particular.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I am so sick and tired of this love affair being heaped on suter. I swear, for years Preds fans told people he was a really good defenseman but no one really believed anyone. Now that he's gone from here it's like OMG HE'S THE BEST DEFENSEMAN EVER TO WALK THE EARTH!!!!!! In the Hockey News there is an article lamenting the voting in the Norris trophy. How voters are being blinded by the flashy offensive numbers and they need to get back to voting for the guy who plays defense first. And it's such an outrage that suter didn't win it last season because he plays the most minutes of anyone!!!!! Even on the main page there is a thread about the best defensive dman and I would say about 85-90% have "suter for me", the ever popular AINEC, and that he was robbed in the Norris voting last year. Almost 150 posts and maybe 5 even mention Weber's name.

Well **** that. Where was the outrage about Weber not winning it when everyone was slobbering all over Karlsson and his point total? Meanwhile, Weber and Karlsson BOTH finished with 19 goals that year. Everyone said Karlsson was sooo deserving and we were just bitter homers.

:shakehead :rant:

Oh but hey, Weber was just voted as one of the top 10 best dressed NHL players by Vanity Fair. So I guess that's something....

Last edited:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
It's because Suter now plays in a hockey market and Weber doesn't. The hockey writers primarily come from traditional hockey areas so they would rather eat their press credentials than acknowledge Nashville. If Weber played anywhere outside the SE, he likely would have won it at least once maybe twice. Lindstrom winning it three years ago was crap as well. He got as a parting gift since rumors were he was retiring. As much as it pains me to say this, Shea will never get the recognition he deserves if he continues to play here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad