OT: The Menu Part 21 Drunk edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Turned the smoker on this morning at 5 am, turned it to 220 and left it there all day. I was surprised at how fast everything cooked. The 8 pound pork shoulder, which went on at 5, was done by 2. Put the brisket on around 8 and that was done around 2 as well. When I took the brisket off, it had a temp of 185° and that was with two sensors in it each at different ends. I wrapped it for like 20 minutes, but I don't think that would have killed it.
Brisket should be pulled off at around 200. Going from 185 to 200 would've added several more hours to your cook.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I almost wonder if your thermometer/stat on your smoker is shot. There's no way all of that should have cooked as quickly as it did(edit: the shoulder isnt too bad). I know your unit is relatively new, but that may be a concern. If you fire it up and leave a prove in there, does it keep a relatively stable temp?

The only other thing I can think of is that you had incredibly lean cuts of meat that just brought up quickly.
I'll put a probe in there the next time I cook and see what it says. I don't think it's faulty, but who knows.

Brisket should be pulled off at around 200. Going from 185 to 200 would've added several more hours to your cook.
I've rad between 190 and 200, but this is only my second attempt at it. Even so, me taking it off early would have made it undercooked and not tough, right?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I'll put a probe in there the next time I cook and see what it says. I don't think it's faulty, but who knows.

I've rad between 190 and 200, but this is only my second attempt at it. Even so, me taking it off early would have made it undercooked and not tough, right?
Undercooked brisket will be tough, but the flat specifically will get tough and dry if cooked for too long. Based on only cooking it to 185 and the very short cook time, I'd say there's no way you overcooked it.

Brisket is just a very tough cut of meat with lots of connective tissue that need to be broken down with a very long cook. Try going closer to 200 next time and see how it works out. Depending if you wrap it or not, we're talking another potential 3 hours of cooking to get it tender and juicy the way brisket should be. The art is getting both the point and flat done at the same time, but if you're cooking at 225, you should be able to get it after a few runs.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
5EE7962E-F880-4DAC-B71B-552BF003C32D.png

I’ll try and get on tv. Scores lower level for 92 weird some upper deck same price

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have a pit boss. It's a pellet one, they make one that's half pellet, half propane, but that's overkill for me. It's a perfect size and get the job done. It has an adjustable dial, in increments of 10 degrees up to 300 then it's 325, 350, 375 and 400. It holds its temperature very well and I'll turn it up to 375 to cook burgers and steaks on and it does a great job.

Brisket was 4.5 pounds and that cooked for about 6 hours.

Pork shoulder, which was by far the best one I've done, was 8 pounds and cooked 9 hours

I swear that brisket below 10 pounds is impossible. No matter what you do, it'll be dry or tough.

DayoftheGreek

Dec 10, 2008
Peppers are virtually invincible. I grew a bunch in pots last year and I stashed them over this awful soil that is entirely rocks and hardpan clay. Its been bare for two years. This year I have about a dozen tiny pepper plants growing out of the dirt now. I dug out the three biggest and potted them. They look like habaneros but who knows what sort of hybrid they might be.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I remember you saying this. I might just stick to pork and ribs lol

Chuck roast! It smokes up great, tastes great. Great brisket substitute if you don't want to make enough beef to feed the whole street.

Smoked chicken wings are also easy with high reward, though they are best with the skin crisped up in the oven or on the grill after smoking for a couple hours. Then toss in whatever sauce. Absolutely delicious.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Chuck roast! It smokes up great, tastes great. Great brisket substitute if you don't want to make enough beef to feed the whole street.

Smoked chicken wings are also easy with high reward, though they are best with the skin crisped up in the oven or on the grill after smoking for a couple hours. Then toss in whatever sauce. Absolutely delicious.
How long do you smoke the wings for? I'm a free man until Monday morning so maybe I'll smoke some wings and sit on the couch all day Sunday watching football and eating rubbish

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Peppers are virtually invincible. I grew a bunch in pots last year and I stashed them over this awful soil that is entirely rocks and hardpan clay. Its been bare for two years. This year I have about a dozen tiny pepper plants growing out of the dirt now. I dug out the three biggest and potted them. They look like habaneros but who knows what sort of hybrid they might be.

They are seemingly invincible, but drama b**hes nonetheless. I agree, after all this time who knows what you have there; will be interesting to see!

Just brought these two guys indoors from greenhouse [for overwintering], the root massacre I had to do in order to get them in these 5-liter pots was brutal. The sound of tearing roots hurt my soul. However, I was told that in 72hrs max they should be already adapted to new circumstances.

1662652540714.png

[For those curious, on the left is Pod Primo which SHOULD be yellow once it ripens but who knows as I have no one ready yet; on the right - Mushroom]. I have removed shitload of leaves/branches, leaving sort of skeletons, so that sun reaches maximum amount of peppers.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How long do you smoke the wings for? I'm a free man until Monday morning so maybe I'll smoke some wings and sit on the couch all day Sunday watching football and eating rubbish

As @Beef Invictus mentioned - wings should be about a 2 hour smoke. Not a lot of fat and the skin is very thin so they cook relatively quickly. I usually do mine no higher than 225 for like 1-1.5 hours then scorch them at like 350 for 15-20 mins to give them a little crisp.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i forget how i did it last time and cant find the site..so tips on a leg of lamb..temp and cooking time gents..its about 6lbs

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad