Post-Game Talk: The Maple Andersens beat the Flames. 2-1 (SO)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i don't understand why people get so upset when a goalie gets criticized for playing poorly. we criticize every other player when they play poorly.

he played great in this one. and he's squeezed himself into the topn10 right now. that's good.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
What would the Leafs record be if October Freddy played November ?

W-L-OTL
alot less - alot more - meh

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Well the tone in is thread is odd, which is to be expected with the world's most manic-depressive fanbase. Good teams find ways to win games when playing poorly (which all teams do for stretches).

To the individual who said this team is no longer exciting ( @Pi ); literally a week ago, they ran the table through Alberta, scoring 10 goals in two games. Your hot take burned me.

To the individual stating that the sky is falling ( @IPS ); there's a vast difference in that Carlyle team and this team, both statistically speaking (CF/CF%/FF/FF%, etc.) and talent wise. Your panicked rant reminds me of Tweak from Southpark.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Nylander was fantastic. Not his fault we have a spineless coach scared to play for a dominating win.

Babcocks system needs elite d we have elite forwards and average d. Does he adjust? Nope not one bit he just benches the best skater In the game to ensure he gets his one point. I’m sorry but you can’t be the best coach in the game with tactics he employs

:help:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
What would the Leafs record be if October Freddy played November ?

W-L-OTL
alot less - alot more - meh

And if November\December Freddie (aka "actual Freddie") played in October, what would the Leafs record be....

giphy.gif

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

you need help? babcock wants to play a defense first system that needs elite D and excellent defensive forwards. We have maybe 1 elite D (soon to be elite D not quite yet, rielly) and 2 elite defensive forwards who can also score (Matthews, Kadri) 2 grinders with differing offensive abilities. We then have 3 elite offensive forwards (Nylander, Marner and JVR) and C who isn't good offensively nor defensively (bozak). We have a lineup to outscore other teams but babcock uses them to try and shutdown other teams

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Flames played an inspired game while Leafs were so-so, yet Andy allowed them to pull it out. Flames went hard to the net all night. We seldom do. I see some of our guys driving to the net but stopping and curling back 10 feet in front of the net. You can dipsie doodle til the cows come home but until you go to the net you are not going to be rewarded often enough. Good to see Willie shooting more. Just needs to hit the net. Mitch made a few nice plays but what was he doing late in the game throwing the puck weakly into the middle of the ice in our zone? Moves like that will get you benched real quick in the playoffs.

Reactions: ULF_55

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Flames played an inspired game while Leafs were so-so, yet Andy allowed them to pull it out. Flames went hard to the net all night. We seldom do. I see some of our guys driving to the net but stopping and curling back 10 feet in front of the net. You can dipsie doodle til the cows come home but until you go to the net you are not going to be rewarded often enough. Good to see Willie shooting more. Just needs to hit the net. Mitch made a few nice plays but what was he doing late in the game throwing the puck weakly into the middle of the ice in our zone? Moves like that will get you benched real quick in the playoffs.

I think last night was a case of "Bad Mitch". And as a Mitch Marner supporter, he needs to be far better than that. He actually annoyed me with his play. That said, I thought he had played tremendous for the preceding several games (despite it not really manifesting on the scoring sheet).

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
you need help? babcock wants to play a defense first system that needs elite D and excellent defensive forwards. We have maybe 1 elite D (soon to be elite D not quite yet, rielly) and 2 elite defensive forwards who can also score (Matthews, Kadri) 2 grinders with differing offensive abilities. We then have 3 elite offensive forwards (Nylander, Marner and JVR) and C who isn't good offensively nor defensively (bozak). We have a lineup to outscore other teams but babcock uses them to try and shutdown other teams

I dont think they are at the elite level yet. Run and gun hockey is fun to watch, but it wont win in the playoffs. We can revert to Randy Carlyle hockey and win games 6-5, but that cannot be sustained. The Leafs really tightened up their game at the end of last year and into the playoffs, and they almost pulled an upset of Washington. They are a young team that needs to learn how to win the right way, and letting guys freewheel isn't going to work when it matters. If there is something Babcock knows, its how to win hockey games. Good defence leads to offence.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well if stats regress to the mean I guess some Leafs are in for an amazing end to their season.

I cant quite place what is going on with the Leafs, they lost their zip. Opposing teams always say the same thing about the Leafs, they are a fast team. Last night they were not quick, were not consistently competitive, were not winning 50/50 battles. Boucher gave the league the blueprint on how to neuter the Leafs, clog up the neutral zone and when there are 50/50 battles out number the Leafs.

Some times a loss feels like a win and a win feels like a loss. I don't imagine Babcock has the warm fuzzies about yesterdays game.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Reading these posts one would think we lost the game, there is so much prejudice in here that it over shadows all the good things that added up to this win.

You would think this is a Political debate with all the propaganda about Some players and not about Hockey all.

I once posted some time ago, that even if we won the Stanley Cup, there were people here that would complain that we hadn't done it convincingly and someone Quoted me with something like this remark "Leafs Win the Stanley Cup Really...LOL"

"Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics" Seems very apt when reading this stuff.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Much like the game against Vancouver, the team coming off a road trip got outplayed and stole 2 points they didn't deserve.

On to the next one.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Kinda reminded my of the Ali/Foreman....rope-a-dope. Flames arms were tired from all those shots on goal.

I'm not blaming the defencemen, but the Leafs overall defensive play has being poor. Starting about last February till the end of the playoffs, the Leafs really evolved into a fair to good defensive team. This year they have regressed in defensive play.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well the tone in is thread is odd, which is to be expected with the world's most manic-depressive fanbase. Good teams find ways to win games when playing poorly (which all teams do for stretches).

To the individual who said this team is no longer exciting ( @Pi ); literally a week ago, they ran the table through Alberta, scoring 10 goals in two games. Your hot take burned me.

To the individual stating that the sky is falling ( @IPS ); there's a vast difference in that Carlyle team and this team, both statistically speaking (CF/CF%/FF/FF%, etc.) and talent wise. Your panicked rant reminds me of Tweak from Southpark.

“Hot Take”

Over the Leafs' last 10 games, they have surrendered 40+ shots 5 times and have scored just 1 goal 5 times. Of the 7 games in which they collected points during that stretch, 5 of those games included Andersen posting shutouts twice and surrendering only 1 goal 3 times.

LOL. Wake up and watch the team play.

When Andersen isn’t close to perfect, this team is going to lose. Toughest schedule in December and the Leafs are playing like shit. All I can say is, thank god our division sucks.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Reading these posts one would think we lost the game, there is so much prejudice in here that it over shadows all the good things that added up to this win.

You would think this is a Political debate with all the propaganda about Some players and not about Hockey all.

I once posted some time ago, that even if we won the Stanley Cup, there were people here that would complain that we hadn't done it convincingly and someone Quoted me with something like this remark "Leafs Win the Stanley Cup Really...LOL"

"Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics" Seems very apt when reading this stuff.

yet when people bring up complaints in loses, people will say "complainers only come out in loses, never here when we win" then when we win people bring up legitimate complaints "Reading these posts one would think we lost the game"

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
i don't understand why people get so upset when a goalie gets criticized for playing poorly. we criticize every other player when they play poorly.

he played great in this one. and he's squeezed himself into the topn10 right now. that's good.

There’s a difference between criticizing and being obnoxious.

“Freddy had a tough game again, hopefully he gets out of this slump soon” - Good. Perfectly fair, recognizing his poor play, but also recognizing it’s just a slump.

“Freddy f***ing sucks, we need to just get rid of him and call up Sparks, what a horrible goalie!” - Just a bad post, that annoys everyone.

Or like tonight with Hyman in OT

“Hyman looked good in OT tonight, but I’d rather he not be on our main 3v3 line with Matthews and Rielly”

Instead of

“WHAT! WHAT THE f*** BABCOCK! HYMAN!??! Lorrhsusjhfpbfb”

Except when we play Polak, because we should all be obnoxious over Polak actually playing ;)

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
As much as our offense has certainly dried up, I actually do feel like a decent amount of it is absurdly low shooting percentages. Not just system. I mean, system is a consideration but it's at least partly working... to that point, consider for a moment...

Since we completed that rough road trip out west through ANA, LAK, STL, VGK, we've actually had some pretty fantastic goals against. I know a lot of it is goaltending, but contrary to what would appear to be the case if you looked at the shots against, I don't believe we're allowing an absurdly high number of high quality scoring chances. Though, I will say I haven't spend time trying to verify this.. Purely my opinion, and purely eye test evaluations.

Food for thought:
First 16gp - 3.69 goals against per game (this takes us to the end of that road trip mentioned above)
Last 13gp - 2.07 goals against per game

*neither of these are adjusted to account for OT time, so marginally innaccurate, but I think they show the point.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
“Hot Take”

Over the Leafs' last 10 games, they have surrendered 40+ shots 5 times and have scored just 1 goal 5 times. Of the 7 games in which they collected points during that stretch, 5 of those games included Andersen posting shutouts twice and surrendering only 1 goal 3 times.

LOL. Wake up and watch the team play.

When Andersen isn’t close to perfect, this team is going to lose. Toughest schedule in December and the Leafs are playing like ****. All I can say is, thank god our division sucks.

"The team is not exciting"

You seem very excited.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not saying it is ideal to allow a lot of shots, but shots against feels like a somewhat archaic means of determining the play. Shot selection and quality varies so much. So many shots simply aren't great scoring chances. I mean, think back on the Leafs teams of past years that would just pepper the other team with shots on goal but couldn't score when they needed it. This seems like an evolving area of measurement, or at least should be.

I mean take last night for example. I really didn't feel like we were that badly outchanced last night despite the disparity of 19 shots.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:laugh: you're awesome.
this stretch too will pass.
it would be nice if Lou did a trade or two but I will bet by January/Feburary we'll be tightening up and be playing soundly.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
yet when people bring up complaints in loses, people will say "complainers only come out in loses, never here when we win" then when we win people bring up legitimate complaints "Reading these posts one would think we lost the game"

Actually it doesn't mater if we win or lose the Prejudice is still there and so too is the Propaganda and if you read through this thread it still smacks of complaints about nothing, if you have ever coached or played the game, crap happens, the team is not about Robots it's about players (people).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad