Post-Game Talk: The Maple Andersens beat the Flames. 2-1 (SO)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Gotta laugh at the cringey fans here who go into other teams PGTs and say **** like "never been more disgusted from a win, you guys deserved better" or "we didn't deserve to win, you guys did"... first of all, they don't give a **** especially after a loss, 2nd of all that's super embarrassing...
quoted for truth. I like going to read post game threads to see tears of bitter opposing fans. seeing Leafs fans in there groveling for approval kills my buzz

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Good - Freddy
Bad - Everyone else
Ugly - Refs, especially late

Nylander was fantastic. Not his fault we have a spineless coach scared to play for a dominating win.

Babcocks system needs elite d we have elite forwards and average d. Does he adjust? Nope not one bit he just benches the best skater In the game to ensure he gets his one point. I’m sorry but you can’t be the best coach in the game with tactics he employs

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He literally created our best chance in OT, but, yeah, biases and stuff

Blind squirrel etc. There is no way babcock thought “hyman is going offensively tonight I’ll put him out in ot” if a player fails 9 out of 10 time with offensive play he shouldn’t be out in ot one play does not change that.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nylander was fantastic. Not his fault we have a spineless coach scared to play for a dominating win.

Babcocks system needs elite d we have elite forwards and average d. Does he adjust? Nope not one bit he just benches the best skater In the game to ensure he gets his one point. I’m sorry but you can’t be the best coach in the game with tactics he employs
yeah when the team was bad Babcock's coaching wasn't really focused on other than to be praised for getting a lot out of scrubs. Now that we have elite talent and should be dominating average teams like Calgary, his coaching flaws are becoming really apparent

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hyman outmuscled his guy out in overtime then passes the puck to mathews who misses with an open net. Are you denying this?

No it happened, but Matthews didn’t miss an open net the goalie knocked it out of his path. Kadri nylander also had a great chance in ot.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's got to play his way off that line like Marner did. He had a few good games in a row, but tonight didn't go so well for him.

You are delusional man. Your nylander bias is showing. Tonight didn’t go well for him what a ridiculous take

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander played an instrumental part in the only goal scored. Also played excellent with Kadri and Marleau. Odd how Nylander has to play himself up even though guys who have played themselves down don’t have to be accountable. Heck Marner made some terrible plays tonight, much more then Willy.

I could bring up Komarov and Bozak but I don’t expect you to give me a good reason as to why they aren’t on the 4th line.

That won’t matter to white shadow only nylander can be held accountable

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Lol besides Andersen, Nylander was our best player, my jaw actually dropped when him Kadri and Marleau were out and Marleau hit the post from a Nylander pass, then there was a face off but for some reason Komarov was out there instead of Nylander

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I've always been under the impression that Babcocks plan is different than what he actually says "I'm playing to win the game tonight" The way he deploys players makes me think he is playing to eventually win... Hyman /Brown / Etc should trickle down our lineup with 1st line confidence and really give 3rd and 4th lines fits. He does it in reverse with the skilled guys learning to be a mucker before they are put in offensive roles.

I'll hold my comments to that, but I really want to see us unleash the hounds in soon time

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Thank-you

“If we go into a playoff series....”

It’s ****ing December.

3 weeks ago our team was playing great hockey and it was goaltending hurting us.

Now our goaltending is playing great and our skaters are hurting us.

This is what early season hockey is. It’s small sample sizes and things going every which way.

Come January onwards, systems get tighter, players are more focused, kinks are worked out.

That’s when this team shined last year, and that’s when this team will shine again.

It’s not shocking that the same people who were calling for Andersen’s head, are now calling for Babcock’s head

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Heres the thing you should be watching for!.....Does Babcock put Hyman in net next?
"Never say Never":partytime:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
well that explains why I have seen it but it was long enough ago that I forgot that I watched that cartoon as a youngen . but thanks for the input it was bugging my ass . one thing I will say about the 80s kids. we had the best cartoons to grow up with
Hell yes we did. Good times.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
How did we win that game?

We looked bad. Considering we had 3 days of solid rest. Nothing looked good

Zaitsev and Gardiner at times looked too soft. That give away by Zaitsev on PP, dude, what are you thinking?

Then Martin had to take a penalty because one of them had missed their assignment. Game in, game out, that pair that pair has been bad

That was some horrible display of defending.

The D-core miss a lot of assignments constantly...this pair are more likely tho...and yes "Soft" is a major problem. Problem is it will continue! Babcock hockey only line matches, it does not correct problems...frankly , there really isn't even line matching..theres only ..tap Hyman and Brown.

Small coaching world for the Babcock.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
8 games without a goal for Brown. Only 1 goal in 8 games for Matthews that was on the PP (assisted by Nylander). But lets keep Brown and Matthews together, its clearly working well.

Its like beating a dead horse with Babcock sometimes...

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sad thing is that Babcock won’t change anything till Andersen slips up a little and the Leafs start losing these games that Andersen is stealing. Then all the sheep will say “Why aren’t we winning anymore!?” It’s because Andersen won’t have a .953SV every game.

This team is no longer exciting. We are basically the Habs right now. Price saves their ass. Andersen saves ours.

From where I sit, it's nowhere near that bad. We played very well against Vancouver, and Calgary last week, and the WSH game was pretty good too. This game wasn't pretty but it's just one game and it wasn't even as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Scoring chances: Toronto 30 Calgary 22
HDSC: Toronto 8 Calgary 10

Not a Montreal type of game.

Where do these numbers come from? I don't think we played as bad as most people seem to think but I also don't think we played nearly as well as these numbers would suggest.

These people are just begging me to break out the Carlyle record.

Remember, folks? The season we lost 12 of our last 14 and missed the playoffs? Does this sound similar??? Us getting vastly outplayed everynight and having our goalie bail us out? Did you see what Freddy's stats are the last 11 games? Oh don't worry! We were "winning" until that ****ing disaster took place too. Use your god damn heads people.

You need to calm down. We are not getting "vastly outplayed" every night, if we were I'd be the first one to say so.

Ugly game though Andersen, and Nylander were fantastic.

I also like Hyman just fine as a player, but he has no business getting any icetime in a 5 minute overtime. You play your scorers.

Generally speaking, I would agree. That said, maybe it was a way of sending a message, who knows? As Daisy said, Babcock is trying to do more than win games, he's also trying to develop players so yeah, sending a message to them every now and then might be a good idea. You want to be on the ice in 3 on 3 OT - show me how bad you want it!

Actually the Flames were really good tonight. Leafs were fine, the other team brought their A game and they are a better defensive team.

Leafs hung in there and played pretty well IMO, they don't win this game without Andersen obviously, but they weren't bad at all, pretty much played a 60 minute game against a team that was just better tonight and wasn't allowing the Leafs to play their strengths for more than a couple minutes all night.

I have no problems with this win, and you know your teams is starting to become something when you win games you shouldn't because you're just that damn good whether its your goalie or your timely offense or just a lucky bonus win when you're already winning all the time.

I was thinking the same thing watching last night. We didn't look good, but Calgary looked very good and sometimes, you have to give the other team some credit. There are two teams out there and the result doesn't just depend on the performance of one of them. Not a great game for us by any stretch of the imagination but yeah, it wasn't that bad either.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
8 games without a goal for Brown. Only 1 goal in 8 games for Matthews that was on the PP (assisted by Nylander). But lets keep Brown and Matthews together, its clearly working well.

Its like beating a dead horse with Babcock sometimes...

Brown was getting praised for his scoring and should take Willy’s spot on Matthews line. Nylander has 7 more points than brown. Brown has 13 points so nylander is scoring over 50% more points than brown

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Next time Andersen lets in a softie, or looks off, or goes through a rough patch, remember this moment...you'll look less foolish in the long run, trust me.
Andersen always had this in him, he can be amazing. I don't care about the Octobers if he keeps up some level of play close to this for the majority of the year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Next time Andersen lets in a softie, or looks off, or goes through a rough patch, remember this moment...you'll look less foolish in the long run, trust me.

You’re yelling at the clouds man. The massive Andersen haters are here still they just choose different scapegoats, cyborg was a huge Ander5en/andersieve promoter now he is on marner or Babcock or nylander. And when Andersen lets in a bad goal he will be back to Andersen many posters like him of course

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You’re yelling at the clouds man. The massive Andersen haters are here still they just choose different scapegoats, cyborg was a huge Ander5en/andersieve promoter now he is on marner or Babcock or nylander. And when Andersen lets in a bad goal he will be back to Andersen many posters like him of course
It's not the Leafs fault some people are unhappy with their lives ;)

Reactions: The Rat King

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
For example there were about 5 posters saying “October Freddy is back” because of a perceived soft goal in Vancouver. Replay showed it was deflected and some doubled down with well good goalies stop deflections too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->