Post-Game Talk: The Maple Andersens beat the Flames. 2-1 (SO)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not that I believe advanced stats are everything but I can't help but chuckle at the responses in this thread concerning the usual faves and scapegoats while reading the chart....
they're not everything, but Polak being a 25% possession player while sheltered horribly is really bad

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You know what's silly? Playing a plug like Hyman with your superstar. Know what else is silly? Making excuses for poor coaching.
I'm honestly done trying to reason with these people. If you honestly think playing Hyman in 3 on 3 overtime is an effective thing to do, please reevaluate your hockey knowledge.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We got massively out-shot on home ice by a pretty bad Calgary team.

Babcock's lines aren't working. Andersen is the only reason we won.

The "negative people" are looking at our team's play objectively and not being results oriented. Yes, we got the 2 points, but we're playing pretty badly. We have the potential to be a heck of a lot better than this. If we go into a playoff series against a team like Tampa playing like this, we'll get embarrassed. Sure, we can pick up our 2 points against Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina, etc... but we're not playing nearly good enough to compete against the top teams. With sane line combinations and roster choices, we would be dominating these games against these weak teams... not relying on Andersen to stand on his head and winning by a hair.

you hope. you hope if Babcock plays the lines that most people want we'd be playing better. I'm not saying I like them for what they are or anything but once again I am thinking as much as I think (and I stand by my statement) that the Leafs can challenge for the division, they still are - we have to remember again that like 50% of this team is in their second year of the NHL or on NHL ice etc. and out of the majority of the teams who all rebuilt around the same we're the only one who is managing to stay competitive and challenging for success

and if you honestly think that the only reason why we are here is just because of Andersen then honestly, I really don't know what else to say.

I don't know or get why Babcock is doing it the way he is but i truthfully have to wonder if people honestly think he sits there and goes, you know i have ALL OF THIS.... but i want to do this just because I think i'm right. I feel that there is something he's not liking or something that he wants the team to accomplish and once it sets in with the young team then he'll start doing things that "make sense."

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Matthews still looked under the weather. Wasn't dominant on the puck at all tonight. And I'm not pinning that on his linemates. He can create time and space by himself but he wasn't doing it. Nonetheless he did screen Smith on Rielly's goal so he still helped.

Something is still up with him though. Injury or illness, he hasn't looked the same in the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Kelly

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Agreed.
But Polak aside, the usual characters are throwing the usual crap again.. It kinda makes you wonder if they actually watch or if they sre like just bots programmed to post the same responses in every thread.
overall i'm pretty disappointed in everyone besides Nylander, Rielly, Kadri, and Andersen. Very ugly game. Moore and Polak stood out in the worst way though

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
you hope. you hope if Babcock plays the lines that most people want we'd be playing better. I'm not saying I like them for what they are or anything but once again I am thinking as much as I think (and I stand by my statement) that the Leafs can challenge for the division, they still are - we have to remember again that like 50% of this team is in their second year of the NHL or on NHL ice etc. and out of the majority of the teams who all rebuilt around the same we're the only one who is managing to stay competitive and challenging for success

and if you honestly think that the only reason why we are here is just because of Andersen then honestly, I really don't know what else to say.

I don't know or get why Babcock is doing it the way he is but i truthfully have to wonder if people honestly think he sits there and goes, you know i have ALL OF THIS.... but i want to do this just because I think i'm right. I feel that there is something he's not liking or something that he wants the team to accomplish and once it sets in with the young team then he'll start doing things that "make sense."
literally said this in a post game presser

Maple Leafs coach Babcock apologizes to female reporter for being disrespectful, calls himself a jackass

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
you have to be kidding!

Ihave watched alot of tape on Jake, and I can't believe how bad he is. It's nt all his fault, but his poor hockey iq is killing us!!

Once Jake stops moving his feet, which is very often, he feels compelled to throw the stretch pass which is converting to Ozone possession less than 40% of the time.

His dzone give aways / vs take aways is worst on the team at 38%.

He does not fit into this team based on his skillset and what coaching want him to be. He is the one to go...Dermott is the replacement unless the team continues to win. He is more reliable and with our offence (near its best) we need better decision making D like Morgan, Hainsey and Borgy...

This guy knows

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews still looked under the weather. Wasn't dominant on the puck at all tonight. And I'm not pinning that on his linemates. He can create time and space by himself but he wasn't doing it. Nonetheless he did screen Smith on Rielly's goal so he still helped.

Something is still up with him though. Injury or illness, he hasn't looked the same in the last couple of weeks.
did you miss the last game where he dominated Boeser + Horvat + Tanev?

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is shades of the Carlyle era and I'm not liking this one bit. Andersen is playing his ass off, we're getting outshot yet still winning games.

Babcock needs to do himself a favor and get rid of the ego.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Matthews couldn't get going.

The puck, when it looked like he had a chance, bounced on him. That happened at least three times.

Then again, his line was the most dangerous Leafs line in the first two periods.

It seemed every time in the offensive zone and Matthews got the puck and looked up, there were three guys around him, one already right on him.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The funny part is when Babcock starts doing what some fans want, we lose games.
Interesting

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
did you miss the last game where he dominated Boeser + Horvat + Tanev?
There is nothing wrong with Matthew physically. The mental stink of this team is dragging him down and it really doesn't help that he's been strapped with sub-optimal linemates lately as well. Hyman and Brown didn't do a god damn thing all night.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I didnt think Naz had thst great a game?

He created at least 2 prime chances, helped with lugging the puck up the ice and providing support, cycled well but did have that huge turnover near the end of the game in the Leafs end that would have sealed the game for the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad