Post-Game Talk: The Maple Andersens beat the Flames. 2-1 (SO)

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Matthews couldn't get going.

The puck, when it looked like he had a chance, bounced on him. That happened at least three times.

Then again, his line was the most dangerous Leafs line in the first two periods.

It seemed every time in the offensive zone and Matthews got the puck and looked up, there were three guys around him, one already right on him.

Yep. Full credit to the Flames for executing a near flawless defensive game plan, especially vs. Matthews. Kept two guys on him for the whole game because his linemates are not threats whatsoever.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I think it's obvious what this team needs to do to help freddy

Marner-Mathews-Nylander
Leivo- Kadri- Marleau
Brown - (whoever isnt tired)

And we just keep rotating whoever isnt tired for the rest of the lines. The rest of the forwards arent good enough. This way we have goal scorers on every line and we send a message to JVR, Bozak that they are too lazy. Also Komarov and Hyman that if they want to play on this team they have to be goal scorers and change there ways.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Also pretty funny how Marleau could have had another GWG tonight as well. If you include his post and Nylander's post, the game wasn't exactly dominated by Calgary.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Andersen was awful for the first month of this two month old season. Its not all him.
Maybe, but then that requires a better option to replace him with, and really, at this point we don't have a better option. Perhaps Dermott, or one of other guys becomes that, but for now, he's our guy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
“If we go into a playoff series....”

It’s f***ing December.

3 weeks ago our team was playing great hockey and it was goaltending hurting us.

Now our goaltending is playing great and our skaters are hurting us.

This is what early season hockey is. It’s small sample sizes and things going every which way.

Come January onwards, systems get tighter, players are more focused, kinks are worked out.

That’s when this team shined last year, and that’s when this team will shine again.

It’s not shocking that the same people who were calling for Andersen’s head, are now calling for Babcock’s head

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
you hope. you hope if Babcock plays the lines that most people want we'd be playing better. I'm not saying I like them for what they are or anything but once again I am thinking as much as I think (and I stand by my statement) that the Leafs can challenge for the division, they still are - we have to remember again that like 50% of this team is in their second year of the NHL or on NHL ice etc. and out of the majority of the teams who all rebuilt around the same we're the only one who is managing to stay competitive and challenging for success

and if you honestly think that the only reason why we are here is just because of Andersen then honestly, I really don't know what else to say.

I don't know or get why Babcock is doing it the way he is but i truthfully have to wonder if people honestly think he sits there and goes, you know i have ALL OF THIS.... but i want to do this just because I think i'm right. I feel that there is something he's not liking or something that he wants the team to accomplish and once it sets in with the young team then he'll start doing things that "make sense."

I agree with most but this team is not playing up to it's potential and every one can notice that as it's not a rocket science - but there are times where I do not understand the strategy for instance Hyman on ice when we pull the goal tender for more offense or playing Bozak on 3 on 3 (when we all know how he has performed offensively this season and how awful he is on the defensive side). I absolutely love Babcock and he is one of the best in the league but he is not perfect. Whatever his strategy is in those situations it's not really the best choices

Honestly speaking coaches are also humans and do have their own favorites and use them in all kinds of situations. Babcock has used Komaorv on PP all year and we can all see that he is not effective any more (but for some reason, Komarov is a fixture on that 2nd PP unit)

I agree that we are doing better then any other rebuilding team (but do we really care how those teams are performing?) but we can be even better and personally there are number of games where we had no business in getting those points - may be I am too harsh

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its like the great Shaner would say "Pathetic

It's a win, and we had some fantastic play from some players... but our offense isn't ticking right now, and many people would like to see our players doing what they do best a bit more.... could be because they have been concentrating on defense, which is fine, and perhaps once they've learned that, they will have the reigns let off them a little bit... but, Matthews didn't look like Matthews, and while Nylander looked good enough tonight, neither him, nor Marner are getting done what we would hope and expect. Having said that, this is still a rebuilding, young team, and this is to be expected at times. If we can consistently play, that dominant offensive talent, while also playing good D, and having Andersen shine, we can become a dominant team.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am sorry our offense was pretty awful and our defence was not any better as the score suggest - this win was the solid effort by Freddie

No it was not a good defensive effort - we were out chance and out shot badly

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ugly game though Andersen, and Nylander were fantastic.

I also like Hyman just fine as a player, but he has no business getting any icetime in a 5 minute overtime. You play your scorers.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
According to a stats site for all situations,

• leafs have had 44 scoring chances to the flames 33
  • leafs have had 15 high danger scoring chances to the flames 15
Th2y are probably wrong ... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He created at least 2 prime chances, helped with lugging the puck up the ice and providing support, cycled well but did have that huge turnover near the end of the game in the Leafs end that would have sealed the game for the Flames.
Agreed on all counts. Find hes been a little sloppy lately.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Sorry was responding to another post

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
It’s not shocking that the same people who were calling for Andersen’s head, are now calling for Babcock’s head
Off with their heads!

I have a theory. Everyone luvs a lynching.

Read enough history books, and watch enough sports, this seems inevitable.

Although I might not agree, I'll still watch. Lynch 'em!

:naughty:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

That's all situations. Leafs had more PPs so obviously it will skew in the Leafs favour. 5v5 tells a different story

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Agreed on all counts. Find hes been a little sloppy lately.
I honestly don't think that this sloppiness is recent. He's trying to provide good outlets and it's almost like he processes what to do after he receives the puck from the Leaf d-man. It's as if he'll recognize where an issue may arise, make himself available, get the puck and then try to make the skilled, split-second play. It seems players are keying in on him doing this and he's not getting enough time to make the play. All that being said, he's successful most of the time which helps his line match-up against whatever line they're up against by maintaining possession.

Reactions: The Apologist

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
That's all situations. Leafs had more PPs so obviously it will skew in the Leafs favour. 5v5 tells a different story
Not necessarily.

It's a fluid game.

The Flames were forced to take those penalties due to the Leafs makes strong pushes on offensive with the forecheck and shooting the puck on net.

If the Flames did not take those penalties, the Leafs could have scored, and with the Leafs offense, once they get a lead they can take control of the game.

Calgary had a good game plan. Some nights, the other team shows up.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

5-vs-5
  • leafs had 30 scoring chances to the flames 22
  • leafs had 8 high danger scoring chances to the flames 10

Reactions: cookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad