Post-Game Talk: The Maple Andersens beat the Flames. 2-1 (SO)

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Sportsnet should stop trying to make Wednesday night hockey such a big friggin deal, its just another 3rd rate sportscast.

Just call it Hump day Hockey and get it over with, thats all it is.

Also Andersen was unreal.

not that it has anything to do with the game but your avatar has been bugging me for a few weeks now. is it from the old xmen cartoons or something more obscure like the short lived savage dragon cartoon

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
37 shots per game is something to worry about.... goalies tend to get more tired when puck is in the d-zone as they have butterfly, move, freakin jump, push from post to post, and all that with heavy goalie equipment on;

team defense and system needs to be fixed

Right on - he is not getting any break

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
It's mind blowing how negative people are after a win. I don't know if they are just upset they don't get to gloat about their pet issue.
We got massively out-shot on home ice by a pretty bad Calgary team.

Babcock's lines aren't working. Andersen is the only reason we won.

The "negative people" are looking at our team's play objectively and not being results oriented. Yes, we got the 2 points, but we're playing pretty badly. We have the potential to be a heck of a lot better than this. If we go into a playoff series against a team like Tampa playing like this, we'll get embarrassed. Sure, we can pick up our 2 points against Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina, etc... but we're not playing nearly good enough to compete against the top teams. With sane line combinations and roster choices, we would be dominating these games against these weak teams... not relying on Andersen to stand on his head and winning by a hair.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This board has a short memory. It seems some of you have forgotten October where the offense had to score 5+ a game to win because Freddy couldnt stop a beachball.

Its a long season. Im not happy with our play of late, but I have faith it will iron out.

defensive zone breakdown, neutral/defensive zone turnovers, shots right from grade A slot and you think Freddie was the problem in Oct?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Rielly 58.3cf%,
Hainsey 50.6cf%

Gardiner 56.4cf%
Zaitsev 53.5cf%

Borgman 39.1cf%
Polak 37.9cf%

enough with polak already, babcock.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's basically Montreal 2.0. Price hid a ton of deficiencies, especially on the back end and on center. Thankfully the Leafs have better personnel.

With that being said, I think the Nylander "demotion" is justified. Just look at 5v5 possession tonight--Moore, Martin and Brown were the worst forwards on the Leafs. When you have a guy like Nylander, a breakout machine, you put him on that line that can't generate offensive zone time otherwise. Then you add in the fact that he can take draws, it helps Moore cheat a bit more and gain possession outright.

It is Polak that I don't get. He should be in the AHL.

well i would argue the main differences between us and Montreal is that 1/2 our team is in the second year in the league and the coach is trying to teach them how to be more responsible. it's not translating yet. the other factors are you have another good chunk of the team that you can't bench (not if you want to trade them for value) and you can't shove them down (again if you want them traded, what kind of value you have). on top of that our team is relatively light, and we don't have a Simmonds type of player that can help compliment what we do have.

I don't think Andersen is hiding anything. this is why he was here - have a goalie that can help insulate a young team through their growing pains.

Reactions: meefer

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Gardiner with a good game. Over 26 minutes!

you have to be kidding!

Ihave watched alot of tape on Jake, and I can't believe how bad he is. It's nt all his fault, but his poor hockey iq is killing us!!

Once Jake stops moving his feet, which is very often, he feels compelled to throw the stretch pass which is converting to Ozone possession less than 40% of the time.

His dzone give aways / vs take aways is worst on the team at 38%.

He does not fit into this team based on his skillset and what coaching want him to be. He is the one to go...Dermott is the replacement unless the team continues to win. He is more reliable and with our offence (near its best) we need better decision making D like Morgan, Hainsey and Borgy...

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Carylyle is anti possession. The Ducks dump it in when playing 3 on 3. No thanks.

That was a terrible post by him but I guess its because his favorite player Marner isnt doing much so he is trying complain about Babcock.
Only a matter of time we see posts like "The team is tuning out Babcock"

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
defensive zone breakdown, neutral/defensive zone turnovers, shots right from grade A slot and you think Freddie was the problem in Oct?

He let in some very poor goals, he was a significant problem for a time.

Hey, this is a young team. I cut them lot of slack. Im happy we're banking points in what is still relatively early in the season. I have confidence the problems will iron out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the leafs currently rank 11th in the league with 2.86 goals against per game.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We had way more scoring chances than them tonight. Was that Andersen too?

It's a little bit funny when you consider our goal didn't come from what you characterize as a scoring chance.

Can you imagine how many we would've had though if they didn't have 43 shots worth of possession.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We got massively out-shot on home ice by a pretty bad Calgary team.

Babcock's lines aren't working. Andersen is the only reason we won.

The "negative people" are looking at our team's play objectively and not being results oriented. Yes, we got the 2 points, but we're playing pretty badly. We have the potential to be a heck of a lot better than this. If we go into a playoff series against a team like Tampa playing like this, we'll get embarrassed. Sure, we can pick up our 2 points against Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina, etc... but we're not playing nearly good enough to compete against the top teams. With sane line combinations and roster choices, we would be dominating these games against these weak teams... not relying on Andersen to stand on his head and winning by a hair.

I agree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad