Speculation: The Isles Future On Defence, It looks good!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think this is a better analysis than @The Winter Soldier 's OP. Love our depth, but I am not 100% sure have a true #1D in the system. Dobson would need to hit his ceiling, which I believe he can do, but I would prefer to have at least 1 or 2 more guys with that ceiling.

Long term, I think we have an abundance of 2nd pairing guys, but we could use 1 or 2 more top pairing types in the system. Our depth is top of the league but our group (prospects and current players) as a whole is only in the "healthy" range. Nothing special as of now.
Well, sure....I'd like that too. But how many teams have 3-4 top pairing prospects in their system? If we had the ability to add to our system, I think the blue line would be the last place we'd do that.

And I don't think Dobson would need to play to his absolute ceiling in order to be considered a top pairing guy. If he continues his current trajectory, he'll fall squarely as a top pairing defenseman. Perhaps to be a true #1 in this league (i.e. a guy who gets consideration as a top 15 defender and Norris consideration) maybe he has to hit his ceiling, but as of now, the guy is as steady and low risk a two way defender as there is out there. If you want to say that Wilde (with his apparent defensive short falls) needs to hit his ceiling to be a top pairing Dman, I'll buy that. But considering this system's short comings elsewhere, I wouldn't waste much time on our defensive shortcomings. Its probably a top five group in the league when looked at its entirety.

Reactions: dood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think with Dobson, the team will just wait and see how he does in training camp. If he comes in and shows that he belongs in the NHL and is just too talented to send back, it complicates matters, but in a good way. Likewise, if Aho looks like he's Toews part Deux, maybe the team explores a trade with Leddy (or Hickey) - especially if a team has a Dman go down. For Leddy, I'd want at least a first round pick coming back. For Hickey, a 3rd rounder sounds about right.

MVS and PW, they seem to have some promise, but I can't see them even getting an opportunity with the big club over the next two years. A team with an empty prospect bin would be wise to offer up a mid round pick for those guys. Of course, if we have a rash of injuries, ya never know who gets to step up with a chance to shine.

Its always a good thing when your uncertain young(ish) guys step up and play better than expected (in this case Pelech, Toews and Mayfield). Would be nice if we saw the same thing with our forwards as well. If all of a sudden MDC, Bellows, JHS, Koivula and Wahlstrom were showing that they're deserving of play with the big club, another great problem to have. We'd be faced with the issue of what to do with Komarov and Ladd. :dunno:

My position on young players is going to be consistent whether it is Dobson, Wahlstrom, or Koivula. If a player shows they can help the team win, and is a better piece than what is on the current team. They should make it. Said this the other day, too many teams already have 19 year old players on their team that have contributed. While I understand the reluctance of some that feel slower development is the better way, I think players that can help right away, and if it doesn't hurt their development is the better way. Dobson going back to the Q would be a waste for me. He has already dominated the Q. Won 2 titles, there is nothing more for him to do there to develop. If he shows he is ready, lock him up, let him learn his trade under the best coach in hockey, and team D system.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My position on young players is going to be consistent whether it is Dobson, Wahlstrom, or Koivula. If a player shows they can help the team win, and is a better piece than what is on the current team. They should make it. Said this the other day, too many teams already have 19 year old players on their team that have contributed. While I understand the reluctance of some that feel slower development is the better way, I think players that can help right away, and if it doesn't hurt their development is the better way. Dobson going back to the Q would be a waste for me. He has already dominated the Q. Won 2 titles, there is nothing more for him to do there to develop. If he shows he is ready, lock him up, let him learn his trade under the best coach in hockey, and team D system.

The problem with that approach is that you lose valuable depth by doing that. If Dobson is only marginally better than Mayfield, keeping Dobson around and waiving Mayfield would be a mistake. If there's an injury the team needs that depth in place. Toews is a great example last season. He had a great camp but had to go back because of the waiver issue. If the team simply put him on the roster from the beginning there would've been Aho as a call up and that's pretty much it. That's a really risky position to be in. Now, if Dobson is leaps and bounds better than Mayfield or Boychuk, then I could see making the move.

I understand what you're saying though. You don't want to waste a year for a player either, but the team needs to be absolutely sure that they can handle the duties before giving them that job.

Reactions: Treebeard

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The problem with that approach is that you lose valuable depth by doing that. If Dobson is only marginally better than Mayfield, keeping Dobson around and waiving Mayfield would be a mistake. If there's an injury the team needs that depth in place. Toews is a great example last season. He had a great camp but had to go back because of the waiver issue. If the team simply put him on the roster from the beginning there would've been Aho as a call up and that's pretty much it. That's a really risky position to be in. Now, if Dobson is leaps and bounds better than Mayfield or Boychuk, then I could see making the move.

I understand what you're saying though. You don't want to waste a year for a player either, but the team needs to be absolutely sure that they can handle the duties before giving them that job.
I respect that. In the end we both just want what is best for the Fisherman. AKA is the Isles. I am sure internally team Mgrs are also debating this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad