Speculation: The Isles Future On Defence, It looks good!

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
Thats not correct. 5,75M.
You're right, obviously. Dunno why I didn't count Pulock's caphit when I ended up including him in the list.

I still think 5.75m is a great (like, really great!) combined number for that group though.

People moan about Hickey's contract, but with him, Aho, and the four mentioned before, NYI has their #3-#8 (by cap, not TOI) signed at a total of around 9 million dollars next year. That's a great base to build on.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I feel like that “crunch time” defense pairing could be provided by Dobson and my oversight, “the kid who isn’t Jon’s brother” - Devon Toews.

The mark of a solid d-man is not standing out unless they either wow you or make you vomit. Pulock, Toews, and to a lesser extent Mayfield all seem to have that quality.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The concern is we will lose one of these guys to Seattle.
If we lose someone like Sebastian Aho to Seattle, life will go on. We have a good number of prospects in the pipeline to step in to a 2nd/3rd pairing on the left side. On defense, we can protect:

Pulock (the biggest no brainer at this point)
Toews (Looks to be the second no brainer)
Leddy? Not sure about this one, but possible.
Mayfield? This would have been laughable at the beginning of the season but considering contract and performance, he's putting himself in consideration.

If one of MVS, PW or Aho steps up and shows they can be a player, maybe one of them are protected. It would suck losing Mayfield in the expansion draft, but considering we have two real solid RHD prospects coming up and the '21-22 season is Boychuk's final season under his current deal, it may be what ultimately happens.

There's only so many guys we can actually play on defense. Maybe Leddy is the guy we expose and is taken. If they need to hit the cap floor, his contract could come in handy. And he's a savvy, talented vet.

Just a guess on the Forwards, for shits and giggles.....Barzal, Bailey, Lee, Tito, Kiefer, One of MDC/Bellows/Otto and whatever high priced UFA we sign this off season. If no one of note, I'd go with Casey.

Butchie91

Aug 11, 2010
Brooklyn NY
A. Toews, Aho, Leddy (leddy and toews are the same age at 25, aho just turned 23). All 3 are smooth skating, puck moving LHD. All can QB the PP and have great speed. Aho the best PP QB of the 3 IMO. His slap passes are out of this world.

We also have Pelech as a LHD. He's been playing great. But he's not in the same class as leddy, aho and toews in terms of speed, offensive production and PP skills.

B. RHD Boychuck, Pulock, Mayfield RHD. Mayfield is 26, pulock 24. Mayfield 17pts this season, pulock 19. They both have been playing great D. Mayfield outperforming offensive expectations, pulock under performing offensive expectation. Neither are great skaters, but use their positional play size and smarts. Pulock has had a great improvement in his D play.

Dobson, Wilde, are in the pipeline. Both tall RHDWilde is showing a higher offensive upside ride now than dobson. But dobson has an overall more well rounded game. Making team Canada at age 18 says a lot, and he played well (broken stick or not). Wilde is a big boy (6'4 210lbs) he can skate really well. He will be in the AHL next year polishing up his defensive play.

Other than AHO, Dobson, Wilde the depth at D is lacking. Same with forward.

Bellows, Wahlstrom, ish, Koivula.

We need to keep our picks and draft with a lou staff.
Leddy is 27

Reactions: 1CupSince

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The concern is we will lose one of these guys to Seattle.

We're losing a good player to Seattle one way or another.

No getting around that. It's exactly what the NHL wants.

And if we don't, then it'll be because Lou sends a nice shiny prospect to Seattle as compensation instead.

Still can't believe Vegas got Theodore AND Tuch just to avoid picking players X, Y, and Z.

Friggin' Xmas presents...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
We're losing a good player to Seattle one way or another.

No getting around that. It's exactly what the NHL wants.

And if we don't, then it'll be because Lou sends a nice shiny prospect to Seattle as compensation instead.

Still can't believe Vegas got Theodore AND Tuch just to avoid picking players X, Y, and Z.

Friggin' Xmas presents...
We could have just let Vegas take CdH and saved a first and second round pick. That sucked. It would be nice to have Liljgren, Chytil, Robert Thomas or Josh Norris in our system plus another second rounder this year.

That was a catastrophic fail on Snow's part. We kept saying here how McPhee would do his ol buddy Snow a solid in the expansion draft. Instead, he bent him over a barrel and raped him Zed style.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We could have just let Vegas take CdH and saved a first and second round pick. That sucked. It would be nice to have Liljgren, Chytil, Robert Thomas or Josh Norris in our system plus another second rounder this year.

That was a catastrophic fail on Snow's part. We kept saying here how McPhee would do his ol buddy Snow a solid in the expansion draft. Instead, he bent him over a barrel and raped him Zed style.

I fully agree.

Granted, I think Snow was looking to protect CdH, Nelson, and Bailey, but the minute I heard about the trade, I felt great disappointment.

And Snow probably thought the whole time, "Look how awesome I am. I got rid of Grabovski's contract and got them to take that doofus of a goaltender back as their pick".

If I'm a GM, I just accept the following:
I'm losing a player in the expansion draft.
I'll find a way to replace the guy I lose somewhere else (UFA market, within the organization, older free agent from Europe, etc.)

I'm putting the onus on the newcomer.
I'm not doing them any favors.
I'm not throwing away futures.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I feel like that “crunch time” defense pairing could be provided by Dobson and my oversight, “the kid who isn’t Jon’s brother” - Devon Toews.

The mark of a solid d-man is not standing out unless they either wow you or make you vomit. Pulock, Toews, and to a lesser extent Mayfield all seem to have that quality.

To me, this may be the Isles future # 1 pairing. Dobson and Toews. Toews looks smart enough to handle it to me. He's at least a top 4 D man IMO.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Dobson can be the all situations guy IMO

Dobson will be the best defenseman on this team and the best defenseman we've had since... geez, Potvin? Not hyperbole: Darius didn't score much and took too many penalties. LaChance was a charity all-star. Bryan Berard got jacked around by Milbury. Nick Leddy is a smoot skater, and I am a fan, but he's merely a better version of Jeff Norton. Malakhov was Houdini being puppeteered by David Copperfield. Kenny Jonsson was good, but was stuck on a whole lot of garbage teams, and in my opinion, retired too soon.

Noah Dobson seems like he'll be the genuine article. Our defense has been so bad for so long. I think we're going to be OK, though. Finally!

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Dobson will be the best defenseman on this team and the best defenseman we've had since... geez, Potvin? Not hyperbole: Darius didn't score much and took too many penalties. LaChance was a charity all-star. Bryan Berard got jacked around by Milbury. Nick Leddy is a smoot skater, and I am a fan, but he's merely a better version of Jeff Norton. Malakhov was Houdini being puppeteered by David Copperfield. Kenny Jonsson was good, but was stuck on a whole lot of garbage teams, and in my opinion, retired too soon.

Noah Dobson seems like he'll be the genuine article. Our defense has been so bad for so long. I think we're going to be OK, though. Finally!
I’ve seen Seth Jones comparisons and I like it but I’ve only seen two games of WJC so I’m not really sure but I’m optimistic

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013

Adrian Aucoin would like a word.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hickey should be traded. We don’t need his salary to be honest and at this point he’s gotta battle it out with Pelech as the last LHD spot. Toews more than passed him imo.
I agree. Aho is knocking at the door. If Isles need a puck mover. I like him. Pelech has size which gives Trotz some flexibility. Getting a pick for Hickey to add to the draft cupboard.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad