Speculation: The Isles Future On Defence, It looks good!

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
You can’t have too much blue line depth. It is likely we’ll be happy to have Hickey to fall back on at some point this year.

Reactions: crasherino

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Do you think we'd have to retain on hickey?

At 2.5M for 3 more years after this with the cap going up. I would like to think there would be a team that would take that on. He led the Isles last year at +20, and I know plus minus is not the to end it all stat. But it's not like he is awful either. I think it's just a case others have passed him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Add prospect Samuel Bolduc to the list, from an Organizational strength view point.

Core

1. Pulock
2. Toews
3. Pelech
4. Mayfield

Vets

1. Leddy
2. Boychuck
3. Hickey

AHL

1 Aho
2. Hutton
3. Vande Sompel
4. Wotherspoon

Prospects

1. Dobson
2. Wilde
3. Bolduc

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Add prospect Samuel Bolduc to the list, from an Organizational strength view point.

Core

1. Pulock
2. Toews
3. Pelech
4. Mayfield

Vets

1. Leddy
2. Boychuck
3. Hickey

AHL

1 Aho
2. Hutton
3. Vande Sompel
4. Wotherspoon

Prospects

1. Dobson
2. Wilde
3. Bolduc

I've been saying it for a while, the defense is the true backbone of the team now and in the future. Loaded with youth, upside, and most importantly... cost controlled for the foreseeable future.

The RHD group in particular is solid with the potential to be among the NHL elite. That's a good thing considering RHD's are the 2nd most valuable commodity in the NHL.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've been saying it for a while, the defense is the true backbone of the team now and in the future. Loaded with youth, upside, and most importantly... cost controlled for the foreseeable future.

The RHD group in particular is solid with the potential to be among the NHL elite. That's a good thing considering RHD's are the 2nd most valuable commodity in the NHL.
We need to address the Center spot eventually. Perhaps make a tough deal where quality for quality is exchanged between a team that has a log jam a C to the Isles strength. I think a good young #2C is what is missing from the Isles. Doesn't look like the draft is the way to go. Where a young C will be ready in the 3-4 year window with Barzal nearing his prime. Deal strength for strength is one way to address this.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
One or both of Leddy and Hickey will probably be moved this offseason, the other by next season.

I’m of the opinion that “Boychuck can still play.” Especially, with limited minutes. But he may be a cap casualty by next offseason too.

If Boychuck, has another solid season someone might still be willing to take him for the remaining two years.

Otherwise, if the next CBA includes compliance buyouts, then the Isles will use it on him and Ladd.

(Boychuck, Leddy and Hickey) will be 14 mil to reallocate to extending the Isles defense. Will just figure Ladd’s money will go to the forwards.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
We need to address the Center spot eventually. Perhaps make a tough deal where quality for quality is exchanged between a team that has a log jam a C to the Isles strength. I think a good young #2C is what is missing from the Isles. Doesn't look like the draft is the way to go. Where a young C will be ready in the 3-4 year window with Barzal nearing his prime. Deal strength for strength is one way to address this.

Thing is I think they truly see Nelson as the possible solution. Although a non-traditional center, I think he can work too. Provided he improves his face-offs and is paired with a line-driving forward (why Panarin would’ve worked so well).

But, one guy I always wanted the Isles to get for third line center is Bennett on CGY. I feel there is upside that he might achieve with a change of scenery. He glimpsed at these past playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: frankieboy

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I would prefer a big gritty, defensive stud. the left side is soft. Cernak would be interesting, although i would prefer a more established vet. I'd even be happy with a guy like McNabb. Him and Mayfield would be our shutdown pair.

I'd like to see at least 4 of our D as defensive stalwarts. Pelech has size, but isn't 'tough'.

In any event, I am happy even if we began the season with last year's guys. Except Hickey. i feel that we've outgrown him. Time for better.

Reactions: Treebeard

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thing is I think they truly see Nelson as the possible solution. Although a non-traditional center, I think he can work too. Provided he improves his face-offs and is paired with a line-driving forward (why Panarin would’ve worked so well).

But, one guy I always wanted the Isles to get for third line center is Bennett on CGY. I feel there is upside that he might achieve with a change of scenery. He glimpsed at these past playoffs.
I like the St Louis model. Where You don't have to use up all your capspace on Centers. I brought up Dvorak yesterday. He is the type of C I like.

Reactions: CupHolders

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
One or both of Leddy and Hickey will probably be moved this offseason, the other by next season.

I’m of the opinion that “Boychuck can still play.” Especially, with limited minutes. But he may be a cap casualty by next offseason too.

If Boychuck, has another solid season someone might still be willing to take him for the remaining two years.

Otherwise, if the next CBA includes compliance buyouts, then the Isles will use it on him and Ladd.

(Boychuck, Leddy and Hickey) will be 14 mil to reallocate to extending the Isles defense. Will just figure Ladd’s money will go to the forwards.

Pulock and Toews are in line to get paid after next season. If we deal Leddy and/or Boychuk by next offseason, it's essentially swapping in the new contracts for the old contracts and we're back to even.

Mayfield's stupid contract is pretty huge and gives us a ton of flexibility. Pelech is in line to get paid after 2 more seasons, but he's not the type to break the bank - add in $1M on top of Hickey's $2.5M and that's pretty much taken care of. The ELC's of Dobson and Wilde are pretty huge.

Aho/Wotherspoon/MVS/Hutton are all QO candidates so they will be cheap as well.

All I want is to jettison Hickey this summer so Aho can get a chance. If Leddy is dealt too, then we can sign a one year veteran to function as the #7D like Alzner or someone like him.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
At 2.5M for 3 more years after this with the cap going up. I would like to think there would be a team that would take that on. He led the Isles last year at +20, and I know plus minus is not the to end it all stat. But it's not like he is awful either. I think it's just a case others have passed him.
Hickey was a +5 in 40 games. Pulock and Pelech led the D, with +21 and +22...

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

But cap hits across the NHL have risen and I’m with @The Winter Soldier. That is not a high price to pay for a depth d-man with the amount of games he has played.

Especially a team rebuilding (Ottawa) with a lot of young d-man and in need of a vet.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hickey is best on a chair in the press box.

For a rebuilding team, Hickey should be quite useful. His $2.5M cap hit is very good for a nice 3rd pairing option.

I don't know Hickey personally, but you'd have to think that he'd want to play and not sit on his ass every game. He's clearly our #7D now, but is it worth it to have that contract sitting idle?

For our sake and his, I think it's best that Hickey moves on. A draft pick should suffice as opening up his roster spot is the biggest upside for dealing him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For a rebuilding team, Hickey should be quite useful. His $2.5M cap hit is very good for a nice 3rd pairing option.

I don't know Hickey personally, but you'd have to think that he'd want to play and not sit on his ass every game. He's clearly our #7D now, but is it worth it to have that contract sitting idle?

For our sake and his, I think it's best that Hickey moves on. A draft pick should suffice as opening up his roster spot is the biggest upside for dealing him.
Hickey for an emerging team would be like Kuhnhackl is for us. Somebody who can sit for long stretches and then play 10-15 straight games at an ok price.

Reactions: crasherino

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

To me, Pelech and Pulock were the spine of the The Isles defence last season. What a steady shut down pairing. Toews and Mayfield are reaching #2 pairing status IMO. The future is super bright when Boychuck and Leddy may be your #3 pairing. The way things look Dobson may work his way into the line up next year. The way I see it, this means Boychuck, Leddy, and Hickey. One of these guys will be expendable if this happens. Aho is also pushing from the AHL. It's a nice problem to have.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
After seeing him in the playoffs against CAR he’s best in someone else's press box.

So true, he looked completely lost. His HDCF% rel was -8% in the playoffs, and it showed. I was nervous when I saw him on the ice.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

Agree with the first sentence. As for the rest, I really don't see them moving Boychuk at all. If anything, I think he gets left exposed in the expansion draft and a sweetener is added to ensure Boychuk is taken. It's a smart move for Seattle as they could get a pick and a year of a veteran in a new franchise.

I think Boychuk's way too respected and liked for the Isles to trade him for virtually nothing, especially with a young defense that can be paid peanuts. With the system the Isles have in place, even with Pulock and Toews needing new contracts I don't think either is going to make enough to really be a concern against the cap.

Assume Martin and Clutterbuck come off the books next year, Ladd and Komarov are the compliance buyouts.

That's my take, at least. Who knows what will happen is anyone's guess.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

Ha! I just read this post and I suggested in another thread...admittedly after you...that we should try to get Bennett! I definitely would like to grab him. He has not developed like a top first round pick of his ilk should, but I think he can still come around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad