Speculation: The Isles Future On Defence, It looks good!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hey Isles fans, hope you don't mind me starting a new thread on the Isles Defence.

Idea came to me when I made a post on the Main Board on the Isles Defence. It made me think back to Nashville's Defence when they had Weber, Suter, Josi, Klein, Blum. With Ekholm and Ellis coming up.

All under the tutelage of Barry Trotz. I see similarities in what is developing with the Isles

The team is already #1 in GA this year and is showing massive improvement in this department this season

The strength of the Islanders and the players that are coming up, some already on the roster is their Defence.

On the way up.

Toews(should stay)
Aho
Wilde
Dobson

Added to young D men as in Pulock and Mayfield who have been terrific this year.

And another top prospect in Sorokin to perhaps backstop this potentially stingiest Defence in the NHL.

Guess what I am saying here, is Lou and the Devils, Trotz with Nashville. Built from the D and out. There may be something brewing here. If Defence wins championships. Then The Isles are well positioned to do this in the future. After suffering through the lean direction less Snow years, this represents a major shift in optimism. I am excited for you guys.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I mostly agree. The right side is loaded with Pulock and Mayfield today and Dobson and Wilde looking like high end prospects. I like Toews and Aho but I think the left side could use another high end prospect. The rest of the kids look like 3rd paring guys to me.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Don’t mind at all - I like reading your takes!

I see it similarly, though while Pulock/Dobson/Wilde can one day round out the right side, I only see Aho, Leddy and Pelech on the other - and Pelech is only there because he can play either board.

I’m not concerned about the D, but I’d like more puck distribution on the left.....as well as an off-wing forward.

Good targets for catching someone with an open wheelhouse.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Don’t mind at all - I like reading your takes!

I see it similarly, though while Pulock/Dobson/Wilde can one day round out the right side, I only see Aho, Leddy and Pelech on the other - and Pelech is only there because he can play either board.

I’m not concerned about the D, but I’d like more puck distribution on the left.....as well as an off-wing forward.

Good targets for catching someone with an open wheelhouse.

What about Toews on the left side? Just an oversight? To me, Pelech is fine as a reserve/depth player since his cap hit is low and he can play both sides.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The left side seems like a lot of quantity-lottery ticket types. Between Toews, Aho, MVS and PW, the hope is that one or more of them pays off as a top 4 level defenseman. Looks like Toews' trajectory is in that range, thankfully. If one of the other ones progresses on that front, we are really doing well. Problem is, there isn't much space for them. The signing of Hickey and Pelech pretty much prohibits any of them from getting a short term tryout due to injury or otherwise. So we may never really know what we have in those 3 guys. Aho is clearly the first one up as he's already gotten a taste, but if Leddy/Toews/Pelech/Hickey all remain relatively healthy over the next 1.5 seasons, we won't ever see those other 3 guys at the NHL level, as much as they may deserve a look.

Good problem to have, but we may end up losing a guy who ends up being a real quality NHL defenseman.

The right side? We good. And considering its likely that Dobson is ready before Wilde, we have the fortunate ability to slot one of these high end prospects in one year at a time with Wilde likely ready for a full time gig when Boychuk is winding down. A lot of projections there but as realistic as can be, that could be the scenario.

Reactions: IODCPiper

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I mostly agree. The right side is loaded with Pulock and Mayfield today and Dobson and Wilde looking like high end prospects. I like Toews and Aho but I think the left side could use another high end prospect. The rest of the kids look like 3rd paring guys to me.

Agreed.

We could use a top end LHD prospect to nicely round out the entire defense group. Otherwise, the future of the blue line looks very promising.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What about Toews on the left side? Just an oversight? To me, Pelech is fine as a reserve/depth player since his cap hit is low and he can play both sides.

Yeah I like Toews too.

He even made Friedman's 31 thoughts:

26. Whenever I’d ask Garth Snow or Doug Weight about prospects to come, both would mention Devon Toews. That prediction is looks better by the day.

I do not disagree.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On the left side there is also a chance for Mirageas or Salo. Both can be the right coach away from potential.

Salo is one of the Isles least discussed prospects here. I asked in the Prospects thread. Playing for Liiga would make it hard to track his progress. I used to get a Liiga feed to watch certain players, but that link is no longer working. Hard to track his progress unless he plays in world tournaments.

But here is a quote from his draft year.

“He’s a great player when you look at his defensive game. I think his positioning is very [good], he has good vision and he’s good without the puck. This season wasn’t that easy for him since he wasn’t in the World Juniors and his team was quite bad in [SM-Liiga]. They played really awful hockey so it wasn’t an easy place for a young kid. But all in all, I think he did a great job. I wouldn’t compare him to Heiskanen but I think there are a lot of similarities. He’s pretty good in all three zones but again his offensive upside isn’t as high as Heiskanen’s is.” – Toni Rajamäki

Let's add his name to the Isles strength on D developing within the organization.

Toews
Aho
Dobson
Wilde
Salo
Mayfield
Pulock

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
A. Toews, Aho, Leddy (leddy and toews are the same age at 25, aho just turned 23). All 3 are smooth skating, puck moving LHD. All can QB the PP and have great speed. Aho the best PP QB of the 3 IMO. His slap passes are out of this world.

We also have Pelech as a LHD. He's been playing great. But he's not in the same class as leddy, aho and toews in terms of speed, offensive production and PP skills.

B. RHD Boychuck, Pulock, Mayfield RHD. Mayfield is 26, pulock 24. Mayfield 17pts this season, pulock 19. They both have been playing great D. Mayfield outperforming offensive expectations, pulock under performing offensive expectation. Neither are great skaters, but use their positional play size and smarts. Pulock has had a great improvement in his D play.

Dobson, Wilde, are in the pipeline. Both tall RHDWilde is showing a higher offensive upside ride now than dobson. But dobson has an overall more well rounded game. Making team Canada at age 18 says a lot, and he played well (broken stick or not). Wilde is a big boy (6'4 210lbs) he can skate really well. He will be in the AHL next year polishing up his defensive play.

Other than AHO, Dobson, Wilde the depth at D is lacking. Same with forward.

Bellows, Wahlstrom, ish, Koivula.

We need to keep our picks and draft with a lou staff.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I look at years past when the Isles had d-men like Sven Butenschon, Mattias Timander (Too easy to mention Brian Strait, so I won’t... oops!)

But anyway, I just don’t get the hate for Pelech. He’s pretty meh overall. Some good and some bad. But in terms of NHL d-men he is still young. So there is nothing to suggest his game won’t improve.

Physically the ability is there. His decision making may be poor or a product of inexperience. I’d like to at least see where he is at by the “Dennis Potvin 300 game mark.”

Note: Dennis Potvin often said it took three hundred games until a d-man starts to feel comfortable.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Hey Isles fans, hope you don't mind me starting a new thread on the Isles Defence.

Idea came to me when I made a post on the Main Board on the Isles Defence. It made me think back to Nashville's Defence when they had Weber, Suter, Josi, Klein, Blum. With Ekholm and Ellis coming up.

All under the tutelage of Barry Trotz. I see similarities in what is developing with the Isles

The team is already #1 in GA this year and is showing massive improvement in this department this season

The strength of the Islanders and the players that are coming up, some already on the roster is their Defence.

On the way up.

Toews(should stay)
Aho
Wilde
Dobson

Added to young D men as in Pulock and Mayfield who have been terrific this year.

And another top prospect in Sorokin to perhaps backstop this potentially stingiest Defence in the NHL.

Guess what I am saying here, is Lou and the Devils, Trotz with Nashville. Built from the D and out. There may be something brewing here. If Defence wins championships. Then The Isles are well positioned to do this in the future. After suffering through the lean direction less Snow years, this represents a major shift in optimism. I am excited for you guys.
Don’t forget Wotherspoon he is very good, not upside of the four guys mentioned but he will be s solid nhler he can really skate and is just a solid defensive defenseman. He scores a bit in minors but I don’t think that’s going to necessarily translate to nhl but he will be solid ten year number five or six in nhl.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It seems as if at the end of Snow's reign here as GM he began to draft skilled puck movers who could skate. When you combine them with the bigger sized players he drafted the defense is going to look good when they are coached by Trotz. I am holding out hope that Toews or Pulock can become a top pairing defenseman one day with Toews being more likely to in my opinion.

Boychuk staying healthy and Leddy beginning to wake up as been amazing for this team as well. I would begin to try and transition someone to take Boychuk's spot possibly starting next season though.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
It seems as if at the end of Snow's reign here as GM he began to draft skilled puck movers who could skate. When you combine them with the bigger sized players he drafted the defense is going to look good when they are coached by Trotz. I am holding out hope that Toews or Pulock can become a top pairing defenseman one day with Toews being more likely to in my opinion.

Boychuk staying healthy and Leddy beginning to wake up as been amazing for this team as well. I would begin to try and transition someone to take Boychuk's spot possibly starting next season though.
I think Toews has his partner in Mayfield they are just perfect for each other. Mayfield has developed so much you really can consider him a top four guy in this team now which is amazing. I actually think right now Hickey is better partner for Pulock as at times he and Pelech have struggled together but your still trying to hope Pelech keeps improving.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Toews has his partner in Mayfield they are just perfect for each other. Mayfield has developed so much you really can consider him a top four guy in this team now which is amazing. I actually think right now Hickey is better partner for Pulock as at times he and Pelech have struggled together but your still trying to hope Pelech keeps improving.

We need a big and smart LHD that more resembles the big, brawny types that we have on RD. Obviously mobility is a given a left handed Dobson would be the dream here. Someone like that would complete this defense. A top pair would be ideal, a top-4 would be great, I would accept a bottom pairing guy to replace Pelech/Aho/Hickey/Wotherspoon/MVS.

We have very mobile LD's, but none are all that big and physical. Leddy, Toews, Aho, Hickey are all puck movers that lack size. Pelech is the biggest of the bunch and if he were not lacking in hockey IQ... he would be perfect. We have no one on the left side that can retrieve the puck and take a hit to make a play like we do in Pulock, Mayfield, and Boychuk. Our right side guys do the majority of the 'dirty work' and the left side guys do most of the puck moving. We will need one pair with the opposite dynamic.

Look at our PK, especially on 5-on-3 situations. Who is ourt there? Boychuk and Mayfield, two RD's.

For years, teams have routinely picked on the LD in dump and chase situations. Put it deep in the corner and then battle one of our smurfs to gain possession... leading to extended shifts hemmed in our zone. We have seen less of that this year, but that weakness still exists.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The way Mayfield has developed has really given us the possibility of having something special back on D in a few years.

Leddy (still young enough to be here for quite awhile)
Toews
Pulock
Mayfield
Dobson
Wilde
Aho
Wotherspoon
Pelech

Wow!

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
A. Toews, Aho, Leddy (leddy and toews are the same age at 25, aho just turned 23). All 3 are smooth skating, puck moving LHD. All can QB the PP and have great speed. Aho the best PP QB of the 3 IMO. His slap passes are out of this world.

We also have Pelech as a LHD. He's been playing great. But he's not in the same class as leddy, aho and toews in terms of speed, offensive production and PP skills.

B. RHD Boychuck, Pulock, Mayfield RHD. Mayfield is 26, pulock 24. Mayfield 17pts this season, pulock 19. They both have been playing great D. Mayfield outperforming offensive expectations, pulock under performing offensive expectation. Neither are great skaters, but use their positional play size and smarts. Pulock has had a great improvement in his D play.

Dobson, Wilde, are in the pipeline. Both tall RHDWilde is showing a higher offensive upside ride now than dobson. But dobson has an overall more well rounded game. Making team Canada at age 18 says a lot, and he played well (broken stick or not). Wilde is a big boy (6'4 210lbs) he can skate really well. He will be in the AHL next year polishing up his defensive play.

Other than AHO, Dobson, Wilde the depth at D is lacking. Same with forward.

Bellows, Wahlstrom, ish, Koivula.

We need to keep our picks and draft with a lou staff.
I really like Vande Sompel and Wotherspoon

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not really that important.

What you need is three pairings that can play well. That's part of the reason why the Islanders are doing so well this year despite having no bonafide "#1 defenseman."
A bona fide #1 would be the missing piece to the power play.

If the PP was clicking all year this team has more than a 3 point lead over second place in the division.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
A bona fide #1 would be the missing piece to the power play.

If the PP was clicking all year this team has more than a 3 point lead over second place in the division.
How long til Toews replaces Leddy on the #1 power play? Trotz doesn’t rush into anything but I can see it happening in due time.

Reactions: Finnislander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad