THE HOME STRETCH: "DAT WILD CARD" - Our Last 15 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm curious if it came down to us beating Philly to overtake Pittsburgh in the standings if Philly would half ass that game. I'm not usually one for thinking up crazy notions but... I could actually see Philly doing that for some reason. I feel like their hatred of the Pens knows no bounds.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I'm curious if it came down to us beating Philly to overtake Pittsburgh in the standings if Philly would half ass that game. I'm not usually one for thinking up crazy notions but... I could actually see Philly doing that for some reason. I feel like their hatred of the Pens knows no bounds.

you know there would be a crazy *** investigation if that was to happen

the nhl's love children ran by their former love child not being in the playoffs (theres a joke there somewhere)

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
Here are the key games and possibilities to pay attention to this week:

April 6th
CBJ @ NYR Rangers win puts them 1 point away from clinching the East.

April 7th
PIT @ OTT Ottawa loss effectively eliminates them from the playoffs.
CAR @ DET Fingers crossed for a Wings loss, but unlikely.
NYR @ NJ If the Rangers get at least 3 points out of this game and vs the Jackets from the night before, the last 2 games mean nothing in the standings to them.
NYI @ PHI Islanders win puts them 1 point ahead of the Caps for home seed in the playoffs.

April 8th
BOS @ WSH Caps need to win this to for a chance at home advantage in the playoffs.

April 9th
OTT @ NYR Rangers may have clinched the East at this point. They might still care if there's a chance this will be a 1st round matchup though. Hopefully not.
BOS @ FLA Let's hope the recently eliminated Panthers want to play spoilers. Bruins are playing back-to-back nights while Florida has 4 days off at home before this game. The Caps game from the night before will probably be very physical as well.
DET @ MON Regardless of the Rangers clinching the East or not, Habs need to win this to secure home advantage vs Tampa.
NJ @ TBL Tampa is 2 points back of the Habs and have the advantage in ROW. They need to win.

April 10th
NYI @ PIT Still an important game for the Islanders no matter what happens before this as far as home seed goes, and the Pens always have a lot of trouble with the Islanders.

April 11th
OTT @ PHI If an Ottawa win knocks Crosby out of the playoffs, the Flyers might pull the goalie at the start of the 3rd period. Note that it's a 12:30 start, so if the Senators are still in it at this point, you may have to wait a few hours to see what happens since the Det/Bos/Pit games all start @ 7.

PIT @ BUF Do you believe in miracles?
DET @ CAR Do you believe in multiple miracles?
BOS @ TBL This game will mean nothing to the Lightning if the Habs beat Detroit and Tampa loses to Jersey on Thursday. But any other result from those games mean that the Lightning still have hope for home advantage.

MON @ TOR
NYR @ WSH

The best scenario for Ottawa: Beat Pittsburgh and hope that the last 2 games mean nothing to their opposition.

Boston potentially has 2 very difficult games on the road against good teams that still need to win for playoff placement, and the other game is against a well-rested team with the Bruins having played the night before. All road games for the B's.

Detroit? If the Hurricanes can just beat them once and Montreal gives them their all, they can be caught.

Pittsburgh: Ottawa has to win that next game of course. If they don't, none of this really matters.

Making the playoffs is still a longshot...but possible. Earliest Ottawa can be mathematically eliminated is on the 8th.

I actually think it will be better if NYI loses tomorrow, because then they would need a point against Pitt to clinch. Then if Pittsburgh ends up winning in regulation the Islanders need a point in the final game of the season against CBJ who would like nothing better than to knock NYI out of the race.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If Rangers get 4 points in the next 2 games they'll clinch President's trophy. If not - they'll be playing for it vs Sens on Thursday.

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island

I will definitely be pulling for the Sens that game, **** Pittsburgh. Don't think the players care that much though.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
lol-duck.gif

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

How many years ago was it that Pittsburgh threw their final regular season game so they could play a free falling Sens team in the first round? That game may have even been against the Flyers now that I think about it.

Could be a chance to return the favour?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't know why, but I am not feeling all doom and gloom about this. Hopefully we get the little bit of help we need.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Nothing would please Flyers and there fans if they were the reason Pitt missed the play offs.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Considering one of the Philly players quote from yesterday's game was something to the effect of 'our fate is sealed, it's good to know that we can ruin someone else's'... I could see it too.

From NHL.com:

"They have something to play for, and we were happy to take it away from them," Mason said. "Our fate is sealed, but that doesn't mean we can't ruin other people's."

"From being here one year, you realize that we don't like the Penguins," White said. "It's good to beat them twice in the same week. That's the only thing we can play for right now, is try to put a damper on other teams' things. They had a few guys last week saying that they're going to playoffs, chirping after the game. So it was a good win for us."

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Yup, I can see something of the sort.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
I was looking at the final standings in recent past years and 94 pts would have guaranteed you a playoffs spot every year in the East. It looks like it`ll take 97-99 pts to get in this year. Why so high this year? Parity?

I think it's the McEichel factor. Too many teams tanking leaving too many easy points on the table. :dunno:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I was looking at the final standings in recent past years and 94 pts would have guaranteed you a playoffs spot every year in the East. It looks like it`ll take 97-99 pts to get in this year. Why so high this year? Parity?

I think it's the McEichel factor. Too many teams tanking leaving too many easy points on the table. :dunno:

It's the stupid conference re-alignment.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Yeah. I think it's a combination of the divisional format/schedule and that there are a larger number of 'bad' teams this year.
Before this year, going all the way back to the lost season... we never had more than 3 teams with less than 70 points (and that was only twice). This year we might have 5 (though Carolina might get above that mark).

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The game is tied 2-2...with less than a minute left and a chance to dump the puck, Giroux winks at the camera, and fires a shot by Mason for the game-winner...For Ottawa.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
They probably want Voracek to beat Crosby for the Art Ross or even just the assist title. That will motivate them to at least get Voracek points

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
They probably want Voracek to beat Crosby for the Art Ross or even just the assist title. That will motivate them to at least get Voracek points

That's fine.
Just put Emery in net, so we can have a 10-9 win without ruining Mason's Vezina votes.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The game is tied 2-2...with less than a minute left and a chance to dump the puck, Giroux winks at the camera, and fires a shot by Mason for the game-winner...For Ottawa.

And Mason over plays the puck and slides out of his crease and it goes in, final horn sounds and he gives one last wink at the Camera.

Seriously the small chance that Phillly throws away the game to **** with pittsburgh, what would happen? Obviously pittsburghs ownership will file **** loads of reports because of the loss of millions of dollars.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If everything works out for the Sens these next couple of games, the Sens may only need one point in that Philly game to clinch.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Also, we're not even looking at it this way...
But the other longshot scenario is if the Islanders lose their last three...

They're currently 3-5-2 in their last 10. And face Philly, Pittsburgh and Columbus.

So if we win out, and the Isles lose out... we still could sneak in even if Pittsburgh wins its last two.
If the Isles pick up one point though, we're toast against them cause of ROW.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well whatever happens in the next couple of games, at least the Panthers won't make the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

To be brutally honest, it happens a lot in the last few games of the season. Not saying teams deliberately throw games, but if they know losing means an easier first round matchup, you will see a lot of 'black aces' and rookies suddenly in the lineup. Happens every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad