The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
2013 playoffs is where he earned it. 94 hits in 2015 playoffs is how he derserved it.

And as I recall Bickell was playing hurt in both of those playoff series. I think it was a wrist in 2013 and knee in 2015. The guy had heart and it still turns my stomach at all the criticism that came from this board.... and it still does at times.

However, as for the contract. Would I have signed Bicks for that much? No. It was yet another SB blunder that seems to get ignored around here.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Not as a player he isn’t. He lacked effort and focus a lot and openly admitted he could not play hard all season cause he thought his body would let him down. What did he do to “deserve” the money?

I am happy he got the money to take care of his family for a lifetime but he did not earn his salary when he was on the 4x4 deal.
Perhaps the earliest signs of his MS??? Knowing the disease, I prefer to give him some latitude here.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
No not at all, the 2013 playoffs is how Bickell earned that contract just scroll up a bit and you will see I said that. The 94 hits in the 2015 playoffs is how he earned it. You are intentionally playing dumb by comparing Bickell and Bollig

Edit: Just looked it up Bickell outhit Bollig on a per game basis his entire career as well

A gm pays for future expected performance. To say the hawks got good value on a contract that started in 2014 because of a guy’s performance in 2013 is super dumb.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
A gm pays for future expected performance. To say the hawks got good value on a contract that started in 2014 because of a guy’s performance in 2013 is super dumb.

Well 94 hits suffering from MS. Come on bro that is old school stuff

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Perhaps the earliest signs of his MS??? Knowing the disease, I prefer to give him some latitude here.

Perhaps. I didn’t like the B.B. deal because I didn’t see the value in it. 2.5 AAV sure I guess but not 4.0.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Yeah if you thought we should keep Bollig we will never agree.

What was wrong with Bollig? Played 82 games in 13-14, 81% defensive zone starts, 6 fights against a who's who of the heavys.

7-7-14 -1, 10 min per game and 203 hits.

If I may say so myself that is literally the perfect 4th line year.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What was wrong with Bollig? Played 82 games in 13-14, 81% defensive zone starts, 6 fights against a who's who of the heavys.

Because Bollig is slow and the NHL is a speed based league. I could careless about his fights.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Brandon Bollig was a **** hockey player.

He was carried to competence by Kruger through the regular season, by the WCF his ass was finally, mercifully stapled to the bench alongside Versteeg and Handzus, the 'Q's misfit toys' line that got 5min or so a night.

If you think he's the perfect 4th liner, I invite you to time-travel to the 1980s, when he might of been.

Here in the post-lockout era, where you need legitimate impact in chance generation or suppression, he was a waste of a roster spot that only through sheer wizardry did Stan manage to get a 3rd round pick for.

To the shock of nobody, he's barely played a game since.

Oh, and he also ****ing sucked at fighting too. He'd just get punched in the face until he hugged a guy and held on for dear life. So he was even shit at the one nonsense part of the game he was supposed to be good at.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Because Bollig is slow and the NHL is a speed based league. I could careless about his fights.

So are you saying that in 13-14 the NHL wasn't speed based? I'm confused.

And I mention the fights because it is an amazing part of the game and a real treat that season having Bollig really stepped up to the plate and take on the likes of McGratton and Reaves.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015

He was carried to competence by Kruger through the regular season, by the WCF his ass was finally, mercifully stapled to the bench alongside Versteeg and Handzus, the 'Q's misfit toys' line that got 5min or so a night.

If you think he's the perfect 4th liner, I invite you to time-travel to the 1980s, when he might of been.

Here in the post-lockout era, where you need legitimate impact in chance generation or suppression, he was a waste of a roster spot that only through sheer wizardry did Stan manage to get a 3rd round pick for.

Oh, and he also ****ing sucked at fighting too. He'd just get punched in the face until he hugged a guy and held on for dear life. So he was even **** at the one nonsense part of the game he was supposed to be good at.

Man that is scathing. I am definitely going back through your posts on the Hawks board and I bet I sense a pattern hahaha

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Yeah, Bollig was never a good player. Great guy, wish him the best. But he made this team worse every game he played. He had Kruger and Ben Smith who helped keep that line be a steady shutdown line.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Oh, and he also ****ing sucked at fighting too. He'd just get punched in the face until he hugged a guy and held on for dear life. So he was even **** at the one nonsense part of the game he was supposed to be good at.
Yea he never brought the AHL intensity fights with him to the NHL. When he was first brought up, he actually did pretty well, then he just sucked. I don't know if the "pretty boy" persona or the women got to him or what but he just didn't fight much after that (and even when he did.. was bad, mostly protecting himself).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So are you saying that in 13-14 the NHL wasn't speed based? I'm confused.

And I mention the fights because it is an amazing part of the game and a real treat that season having Bollig really stepped up to the plate and take on the likes of McGratton and Reaves.

The 13-14 NHL game had less speed than the game now. Not even close. Teams like the Kings and Bruins were the trend and the Hawks were the outlier.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

You sat you need to have impact in chance it suppression yet he played while Kruger and Ben Smith had likely the best seasons of their careers, especially offensive production. And that combo of them together was consistent.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You sat you need to have impact in chance it suppression yet he played while Kruger and Ben Smith had likely the best seasons of their careers, especially offensive production. And that combo of them together was consistent.

Putting aside the fact that any eye-test could tell you that he was too slow, too dumb, and too unskilled to play in the NHL...

2013/2014 Bollig without Kruger
49.6 CF%
41.07 GF%

2013/2014 Kruger without Bollig
53.42 CF%
53.47 GF%

2013/2014 Kruger with Bollig
52.09 CF%
49.74 GF%

As far as production goes, 2014 and 2015 were maybe the only 2 years of Ben Smith's pro career that he was completely healthy. That's the major reason for his output that year, that and a ridiculous 15% sh% that he never came close to replicating. Kruger's increased output was almost entirely PDO driven.. his individual shooting percentage jumped from his career average of ~6% to 9.41%.

I will give Bollig credit in one area: He had a hard, accurate shot. Sure, it took roughly a full lunar cycle for him to actually get it off, but when it did it was good. That and his willingness to get punched in the face to soothe his coach's meatball desires kept him in the lineup. He had no other value as a hockey player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad