The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don’t buy it. People forget that Bickell’s few good months for the outlier. We don’t know when the MS kicked in, and Bickell was an underachiever most of his career to that point anyway.

Don’t buy what? Bickel had a few stretches before that playoffs where you saw his skill and ability (including other playoffs (wrist injury year)). Again, if he turns out to be a 40 pt guy it wouldn’t have taken TT to move him.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Don’t buy what? Bickel had a few stretches before that playoffs where you saw his skill and ability (including other playoffs (wrist injury year)). Again, if he turns out to be a 40 pt guy it wouldn’t have taken TT to move him.

I don’t buy that his suckitude was all due to MS.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Vertigo, weakness, and fatigue are the worst possible issues for hockey play so I completely disagree.

Aside from a few months he wasn’t good before the vertigo/fatigue. He usual mo was halfassing it. He was never a good skater, and always had a rep for being lazy. That’s probably why people like bobby insisted that he wasn’t experiencing a drop off, since he was never that good.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Aside from a few months he wasn’t good before the vertigo/fatigue. He usual mo was halfassing it. He was never a good skater, and always had a rep for being lazy. That’s probably why people like bobby insisted that he wasn’t experiencing a drop off, since he was never that good.

I get what you are saying but the drop off was pretty severe after those playoffs. You think one way on it and I think another and there is no way to prove either way what impact MS had on Bickell and when it started.

Reactions: hawksrule

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He plummeted off a cliff in 2015, it's much more likely to have been MS-related than anything else. With that said, I agree with Hawksrule's general sentiment that Bickell was never consistently a good player. He had a fantastic playoff run and got a ridiculous contract because of it. It was bad when it was signed and a lot of us here didn't like it from what I remember.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Bickell was a less than the sum of his parts player outside of one great playoff run. There's plenty of revisionist history surrounding him.
excellent point, however while i tried to dust that idea off, it is still the running narrative on him. people forgot that SB tried to trade him before his illness came out.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
excellent point, however while i tried to dust that idea off, it is still the running narrative on him. people forgot that SB tried to trade him before his illness came out.

Bicksy is a 3 time cup champ and a great man. That more than makes up for any inadequacies in his play on the ice. That tying goal in Boston is worth all the money and Teuvos in the world.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bicksy is a 3 time cup champ and a great man. That more than makes up for any inadequacies in his play on the ice. That tying goal in Boston is worth all the money and Teuvos in the world.

Being a great man does not justify his cap hit. Not how this works.

Reactions: CanCHI

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Being a great man does not justify his cap hit. Not how this works.

Yes it does. He deserves every penny period. He is an awesome guy and is a great representative of what young hockey players should aspire to be.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes it does. He deserves every penny period. He is an awesome guy and is a great representative of what young hockey players should aspire to be.

Not as a player he isn’t. He lacked effort and focus a lot and openly admitted he could not play hard all season cause he thought his body would let him down. What did he do to “deserve” the money?

I am happy he got the money to take care of his family for a lifetime but he did not earn his salary when he was on the 4x4 deal.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Not as a player he isn’t. He lacked effort and focus a lot and openly admitted he could not play hard all season cause he thought his body would let him down. What did he do to “deserve” the money?

I am happy he got the money to take care of his family for a lifetime but he did not earn his salary when he was on the 4x4 deal.

2013 playoffs is where he earned it. 94 hits in 2015 playoffs is how he derserved it.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Better pay Mashinter and Bollig while you are at it. Paying for hits...

Those 2 players and Bickell are not even comparable come on now.

Although I do think the Hawks should have kept Bollig and I think he got a raw deal in Calgary

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
in this post, you may be trying to justify something. i am at a lost of what is your point is ??

he, Cat is a young prospect on a ELC >> check
he is still in a devopment stage of his career >> check
he had a very great career while in the juniors. >> check
this is why the Bhawks drafted him, in hopes that he continues to grow. there is really no comparison here.

unless i am missing something, pls explain your point here, ok ....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
2013 playoffs is where he earned it. 94 hits in 2015 playoffs is how he derserved it.
so you have basically an inexperience GM that rewarded him for hits, esp the contract he got ??

so with that analogy Boling should have been given the same contract.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I am so sick of reading this crap over and over again. No wonder players have scripts when being interviewed.

Bickell was just telling it like it is - any player would say the same thing if they were honest. The NHL schedule is a marathon and if a player doesn't pace himself in the RS, there is no way they can be close to 100 percent at crunch time.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
so you have basically an inexperience GM that rewarded him for hits, esp the contract he got ??

so with that analogy Boling should have been given the same contract.

No Bollig didn't have near the 2013 playoffs that Bicksy had. Now if Bollig had the 2013 playoffs Bickell had then yes I would assume he would have gotten a healthy raise if he was up for a deal.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I am so sick of reading this crap over and over again. No wonder players have scripts when being interviewed.

Bickell was just telling it like it is - any player would say the same thing if they were honest. The NHL schedule is a marathon and if a player doesn't pace himself in the RS, there is no way they can be close to 100 percent at crunch time.
"cost of diminishing" rtn then why did he sign the contract let alone why did SB gave him such an outrageous contract. he is paid alot to do just that. play full out for the whole season including the playoff.

remember he had a rep for not giving his all during a full season ....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No Bollig didn't have near the 2013 playoffs that Bicksy had. Now if Bollig had the 2013 playoffs Bickell had then yes I would assume he would have gotten a healthy raise if he was up for a deal.
now you are moving the goal post in sort of a way. adding stipulations to your comment.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

ref the bold, this is topic for discussion, it is up to posters to add or not to any conversation.

today is monday and what other topic can we as fans participate in ?? Politics ??

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
now you are moving the goal post in sort of a way. adding stipulations to your comment.

No not at all, the 2013 playoffs is how Bickell earned that contract just scroll up a bit and you will see I said that. The 94 hits in the 2015 playoffs is how he earned it. You are intentionally playing dumb by comparing Bickell and Bollig

Edit: Just looked it up Bickell outhit Bollig on a per game basis his entire career as well

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No not at all, the 2013 playoffs is how Bickell earned that contract just scroll up a bit and you will see I said that. The 94 hits in the 2015 playoffs is how he earned it. You are intentionally playing dumb by comparing Bickell and Bollig

Edit: Just looked it up Bickell outhit Bollig on a per game basis his entire career as well
i believe he, Bickell earned his contract partly b/c of his performance in the playoff and the offense he provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad