The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Amusing to see Darling fans upset he is struggling in Carolina and everytime it is pointed out

They were gleeful it seemed anytime Crawford struggled or allowed a bad goal and bashed him endlessly while declaring Darling should be #1

Crawford has and always will be better goalie and Hawks are better off with Crawford in net

Reactions: ChiHawks10

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Darling just let in the softest of the soft, goal. That'll make some folks happy.

Nobody wants Darling to fail.

And giving up a really bad goal doesn't make him terrible.

Darling is a good goalie. He'll figure it out. I'd just rather have Crawford at 1.5mil more. Because I think he's at least that much better.

Darling gives up 6 goals on 27 shots tonight

Its probably time for Canes to go with Ward for a while

Well he gave up 2 on the first 3 'shots', so to be fair he steadily improved over the course of the night.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
People absolutely do want Darling to fail. Just like some people absolutely wanted Crow to implode. Not everyone who preferred one to the other is guilty of what I'm saying.

But being proven correct on the internet is very important to some people.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
People absolutely do want Darling to fail. Just like some people absolutely wanted Crow to implode. Not everyone who preferred one to the other is guilty of what I'm saying.

But being proven correct on the internet is very important to some people.

Yeah, but Darling doesn't have to outright fail for people who said Crawford was the better goalie to be proven right.

I expected him to put up league average numbers (ie .915 SV%), which is perfectly reasonable for his salary. I still think he'll get there.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Sure, but some people would point to Darling's failures as further evidence of just how much smarter they are.

You're operating in shades of grey. Some people much prefer black and white.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Mixed bag when it comes to Blackhawks Southeast

- TT leading Canes in scoring (8 goals + 12 assists in 20 games) and on pace for 82 pt season
- TVR has established himself as reliable vet on Canes 3rd pairing
- Kruger has been average overall
- Nordstrom is struggling this year
- Dahlbeck looked awful in limited games and his NHL career appears likely to end after this season unless he takes two way deal somewhere
- Darling has .900 sv pct and has been terrible several times for Canes this year

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So the 2nd rounder of 2018 we gave to MTL in the Weise /Fleischmann for Danault and this 2nd may look even better for MTL than they expected..if the Hawks finish in the mushy middle or a bit lower in the standingss than tge 15 or 16 pick ....it means that 2nd rounder could be a mid -round or better pick for MTL rather than the late 2nd where tge Hawks usually have been drafting most years of the last decade ...201 is considered a deep draft so it could be like a high 2nd in value to the average draft.Thusvthe cost to the Hawks for the horrible Weise/Fleischmann gamble gets even more expensive.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Darling gives up 6 goals on 27 shots tonight

Its probably time for Canes to go with Ward for a while

.. and how did that work out? I'll tell you: Ward started vs Leafs last night but was pulled after letting in 4 goals in period 2.

No question that Darling can be better, and I think he will be, but Canes are beyond brutal defensively often leaving whoever is in the nets on their own back there.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think it's quite the opposite. Carolina is top 5 in shots against per game and top 10 in chances against per game.

They're being let down by their goaltending in a big way, as they have the 5th worst 5v5 SV% in the league. It's very hard to win without getting a save.

I do think Darling will improve and make his way back to league average levels. They're only 4 points out of a playoff spot with two games in hand, if Darling shapes up, they can make the playoffs and will very likely be a huge in pain in the ass for Tampa, Toronto or Columbus to put away in 7 games.

...that said, I'm now kinda hoping they don't make it, cause there are rumblings Bill Peters could take the bullet for a playoff miss. In which case, the Blackhawks should hire him IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited:

Kawzee

Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Mixed bag when it comes to Blackhawks Southeast

- TT leading Canes in scoring (8 goals + 12 assists in 20 games) and on pace for 82 pt season
- TVR has established himself as reliable vet on Canes 3rd pairing
- Kruger has been average overall
- Nordstrom is struggling this year
- Dahlbeck looked awful in limited games and his NHL career appears likely to end after this season unless he takes two way deal somewhere
- Darling has .900 sv pct and has been terrible several times for Canes this year

Nordstrom came up huge for them in OT today. 2 great blocks in a row, and then followed it up by clearing their zone. Had a real good season for them in 15/16, but has stagnated since. Not sure how long of a career he will have in the NHL, but the Canes seem to like him.

TVR has been a very solid pick up for the Canes, every time I've watched him, his positioning has been solid, his passing good, and continues to shoot the puck. Good for 15-18 mins a night. Exactly what you want from your bottom pairing D.

Jeremy Morin has played in the AHL, KHL, ECHL, & now the LIIGA just this calendar year alone. Has this ever been done before?

David Rundblad is a +19 through 26 games in the KHL.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
TVR was another sacrifice that this team had to make because of Stan’s stupidity, only a moron would give Kruger that kind of a contract lol

TVR
Danault
TT
Panarin
Hammer
Etc.

This team would have been contending now but we are a fringe Playoff team so let’s all hold hands and be happy because the team won in 2015 :)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
TVR was another sacrifice that this team had to make because of Stan’s stupidity, only a moron would give Kruger that kind of a contract lol

TVR
Danault
TT
Panarin
Hammer
Etc.

This team would have been contending now but we are a fringe Playoff team so let’s all hold hands and be happy because the team won in 2015 :)

Do you ever get tired of this silly shit? This shtick that you somehow believe that no one else on this board criticizes the Hawks in any way except for you? It gets old because everyone on here criticizes things that deserve criticism. You're just the only one that takes it WAY WAY overboard, and at the same time, refuses to listen to anybody who might know more than you do about something.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
TvR was a expansion draft casualty. Pretty much nothing to do with Kruger. Pretty obvious Stan could have traded him for Kruger for nothing considering he was traded to Vegas, and then to Carolina for a late pick.

And, does anybody even miss TvR? I was one of his bigger supporters, but he is not missed this year at all. Neither is Kruger, really.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Sure, but some people would point to Darling's failures as further evidence of just how much smarter they are.

You're operating in shades of grey. Some people much prefer black and white.
Some people are freaking stupid.

Seriously, in Darling's case he's a guy you want to see succeed. By the time his deal's up, I don't see any reason he can't be a starter-average of .915.

But that goal was like epic, epic fail.

.. and how did that work out? I'll tell you: Ward started vs Leafs last night but was pulled after letting in 4 goals in period 2.

No question that Darling can be better, and I think he will be, but Canes are beyond brutal defensively often leaving whoever is in the nets on their own back there.
...So they're just like the Blackhawks, except their team D/Puck possession lets 5 fewer shots on net per game than the 'hawks do as of right meow.

Reactions: LDF

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
That was my thought as well, but don't want to be accused of hoping for Darling to fail.
The cynical <child of unwed parents> side of me will state that this is a message board, so take everything with a rather large lump of salt considering the source...of the comments. After all, hyperbole is rampant here for all sides of any debate. :D

As for Darling, let's not forget Crawford has a decent D in front of him in 2012, and put in a bad year. Since then he's been great, if not exceptional. Even if this year is a bad one for Darling, it's not like he can't right the ship before his deal's up. After all, if we take all goalies in the cap era with 2500 or more shots against (to include Darling), Darling ranks 13th out of 104 in SV%. That's still not bad. However, his career numbers could fluctuate a lot since he's got 92 games to his name as of now, so it's safe to say his numbers are currently regressing (either up, down, or both), to his career mean. Right now we just don't know what he's going to be overall. It could be he's on a Crawford track where he has a bad blip of a year and then he rights the ship to become a solid goaltender (hopefully without the parasitic naysayers who can't let go). Or, it could be he's on a Mike Smith-like track where he has an exceptional year, and then does toss-all (at least until this season). We just don't know.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The current count for people that think TVR was a significant loss for the Blackhawks stands at 2.

1) BWC
2) Brian Hedger

Good company, that. Who else wants on the list? Don't be shy.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Some people are freaking stupid.

Seriously, in Darling's case he's a guy you want to see succeed. By the time his deal's up, I don't see any reason he can't be a starter-average of .915.

But that goal was like epic, epic fail.
this, i agree. as i said last yr, there is not enuf time to see Darling as a starter let alone a team in contention.

further, i wanted Darling as the Starting Goalie during the playoff. i thought Craw was still looking shaky .

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The current count for people that think TVR was a significant loss for the Blackhawks stands at 2.

1) BWC
2) Brian Hedger

Good company, that. Who else wants on the list? Don't be shy.

It's so easy to make the argument that any of Rutta, Forsling, Kempny, Oesterle, or Murphy can do anything TVR could do, and I'd argue 4 out of 5 of those can do it better, with a few doing it MUCH better.(We haven't seen a large enough sample size with Oesterle to make the determination, yet). But it's possible all 5 of those guys can do anything TVR can do, and do most things better, when all is said and done. I mean... two of the four likely end up as top 4 guys, and an argument can be made for at least 3 of them potentially becoming top 4 guys moving forward...

Losing TVR wasn't an issue. Was never concerned about it in any way whatsoever.

Losing Kruger, though I don't think is nearly as big of a deal as you make it out to be, is still a much bigger deal than losing TVR, AINEC. Him and his deployment due to his defensive acumen did free up other lines to create match-up issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad