The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Do you guys really think that we should ride with Hutton as our backup? I honestly think that no. I think Rinne should play 55-60 games and Hutton just isn't a solid backup. When Rinne was injured everyone was so doubtful about Hutton, people started speculating on how many games we would lose with Hutton in the net, there is so much mistrust in Hutton that I think his time in the NHL should be over. We need someone who the team trusts. The team looked always different when Hutton was between the pipes. Every time Hutton was on the net I thought that we would lose. We need a backup goalie who can jump out to the net every time we need him and he can be trusted and he can give us a chance to win every night. A strong goalie-tandem goes a long way.

We've always played differently in front of the backup, that's nothing new with Hutton. I personally think we'll stick with Hutton and Rinne will play more games then he should. Hutton would be better if he was allowed to get more games to try to get a rhythm going, but overall I think Hutton is on the lower end of backup goalies. I would prefer to sign Gustavsson and rest Rinne so he's rested for the stretch run and the playoffs.

Fishbulb7o9

Apr 16, 2013
Nova Scotia
Do you guys really think that we should ride with Hutton as our backup? I honestly think that no. I think Rinne should play 55-60 games and Hutton just isn't a solid backup. When Rinne was injured everyone was so doubtful about Hutton, people started speculating on how many games we would lose with Hutton in the net, there is so much mistrust in Hutton that I think his time in the NHL should be over. We need someone who the team trusts. The team looked always different when Hutton was between the pipes. Every time Hutton was on the net I thought that we would lose. We need a backup goalie who can jump out to the net every time we need him and he can be trusted and he can give us a chance to win every night. A strong goalie-tandem goes a long way.

Hutton should join the preds media. Love the guy and don't want to see him leave, but I don't have much confidence in him between the pipes. He needs to play more games to get going, but I can't see that happening unless Rinne goes down again.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
We've always played differently in front of the backup, that's nothing new with Hutton. I personally think we'll stick with Hutton and Rinne will play more games then he should. Hutton would be better if he was allowed to get more games to try to get a rhythm going, but overall I think Hutton is on the lower end of backup goalies. I would prefer to sign Gustavsson and rest Rinne so he's rested for the stretch run and the playoffs.
Indeed I think the first part is true, but the second part also rings true, and the fact remains that he doesn't look like a benefit to our team. He's just not that good of a goalie and we have legitimate concerns when he's playing.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I have to ask you guys: Are you on board with the Jones/Draisaitl trade, where we would get Drai and 2015 1st for Jones? Oil fans suggested that and I think we should truly consider that proposal.

no freaking way. If Jones is going to Edmonton, RNH is who needs to be coming back, even if we have to add substantially(i.e. Smith or Wilson). Draisaitl is not even a bonafide NHL player yet. I want Jones traded for a 1C, but its got to be a proven player not a prospect(well, I'd trade him for McDavid....)

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Indeed I think the first part is true, but the second part also rings true, and the fact remains that he doesn't look like a benefit to our team. He's just not that good of a goalie and we have legitimate concerns when he's playing.

our backup goalie problem is almost insoluble. We NEED Rinne to play 70 games. If he's playing 50 we are not going to be a top team. Yet darn few backups will play well enough to win very often playing once a month. And a veteran backup good enough to carry the load if Rinne goes down for 20 games or more isn't going to sign here if he's only likely to play 10 games or so if Rinne is healthy

Our only hope for a backup better than Hutton is if Hellberg or Mazanec blossom in whatever opportunity they get

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Gustavsson would be a very solid signing, he could play about 20-30 games. Rinne is aging and he needs to be rested as much as possible especially before the postseason. Hutton is indeed on the lower end of backup goalies and we or our team has no confidence in him and everybody can figure out that it isn't a perfect equation. Hutton is a great guy but he is not the guy you want as your backup.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't know how many decent FA goalies would be willing to accept a backup role, especially one behind a guy like Rinne. Even if we want to play Pekka somewhere around 60 games, I still think we have a hard time finding one significantly better than Hutton. Ray Emery had a rough year last season but in the last 4 years he's played between 21 and 34 games each season (granted one of those was the lockout season). I see him sort of like a long reliever in baseball. He's generally reliable enough to give him a start here and there and if Pekka has an injury for a couple weeks he's not a bad option and he's got experience in that role. Like in baseball when a team needs a reliever to go 4 or 5 innings when things go badly with the starter, same kind of theory. Lavy knew him for a bit in Philly so I wonder what he thinks of him.

I thought about Dan Ellis but he hasn't played much the last few years. Gustvasson would be interesting but comparing his stats with Hutton isn't terribly comforting.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Even though I started this speculation about the backup goalie, I think this is a waste of time. I don't believe that Poile will even consider getting a new backup goalie. Our next backup goalie will come within our organisation I'll tell you that.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
I don't know how many decent FA goalies would be willing to accept a backup role, especially one behind a guy like Rinne. Even if we want to play Pekka somewhere around 60 games, I still think we have a hard time finding one significantly better than Hutton. Ray Emery had a rough year last season but in the last 4 years he's played between 21 and 34 games each season (granted one of those was the lockout season). I see him sort of like a long reliever in baseball. He's generally reliable enough to give him a start here and there and if Pekka has an injury for a couple weeks he's not a bad option and he's got experience in that role. Like in baseball when a team needs a reliever to go 4 or 5 innings when things go badly with the starter, same kind of theory. Lavy knew him for a bit in Philly so I wonder what he thinks of him.

I thought about Dan Ellis but he hasn't played much the last few years. Gustvasson would be interesting but comparing his stats with Hutton isn't terribly comforting.

Last season Gustavsson played 7 games compared to Hutton's 18. Gustavsson complained about not being able to get into any type of rhythm. I will agree that when comparing their career stats there doesn't appear to be much difference between the two, but Gustavsson also was the starter for the Leafs so the stats may not tell the whole story. I think if Gustavsson got 27-22 games then he'd be a definite upgrade and could give Rinne a little bit of a rest.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What is the Preds cap situation? There have been a couple rumors floated by Staple that M. Grabner will be shopped by the isles, who want to recoup pick(s) and who have a glut at forward. His cap hit is $3m. His salary is $5m. He has 1 more yr left on his deal.

At the end of the season, he had a 2nd abdominal surgery. The latest report was, that he is expected to be healthy at the start of camp. I am guessing he is shopped and
highest pick gets him.Any interest?

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
What is the Preds cap situation? There have been a couple rumors floated by Staple that M. Grabner will be shopped by the isles, who want to recoup pick(s) and who have a glut at forward. His cap hit is $3m. His salary is $5m. He has 1 more yr left on his deal.

At the end of the season, he had a 2nd abdominal surgery. The latest report was, that he is expected to be healthy at the start of camp. I am guessing he is shopped and

This offseason, if the player is not a 1C don't expect much if any interest in them as far as the Preds go.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think the goalie situation is fine for right now. Wait until Hellberg or Saros is ready to go. Hutton has one more year to UFA? Just keep him around, I don't think it's worth the assets to upgrade on him.

I would think he brings some intangibles in the room, similar to what Budaj did with Price. There are only so many goalies that are fine only playing 10-15 games.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This offseason, if the player is not a 1C don't expect much if any interest in them as far as the Preds go.

I read an Elliott Friedman article where he says he expects a lot of trades this offseason, with so many teams in cap trouble or simply looking to shake up their rosters.

Thanks for the feedback.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

We have about 27-28M in free space and 14-15 guys signed (depending on if Fiala makes the team). Need to sign key players.

Ribeiro, Wilson(RFA), Smith(RFA), Fisher

Others that Poile indicates he wants to re-sign Jarnkrok(RFA), Bourque(RFA), and Beck(RFA). I'm not sure what the plan is for Cullen.

I read an Elliott Friedman article where he says he expects a lot of trades this offseason, with so many teams in cap trouble or simply looking to shake up their rosters.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just do not see where we make a trade unless we are unable to sign Ribeiro. And even if we did, the only players who we should be looking to get rid of are guys that no one wants (Nystrom, Stalberg, Bourque, Beck). Trading anyone else does nothing for this team as it would create a hole that would be hard to fill.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's talk of Kylington falling somewhere in the second round. Any chance Preds pick him up, or move up to pick him? Could fit in paired with Jones.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
no freaking way. If Jones is going to Edmonton, RNH is who needs to be coming back, even if we have to add substantially(i.e. Smith or Wilson). Draisaitl is not even a bonafide NHL player yet. I want Jones traded for a 1C, but its got to be a proven player not a prospect(well, I'd trade him for McDavid....)

I don't think there's a deal of Jones to EDM that works for both sides, but if there is, it's something like Jones+Wilson for RNH+#16. Maybe we add Hellberg as well or something. They get their franchise D and a replacement C to take hard minutes from Drais and McDavid, we get our #1C and back into the 1st round.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
-Re-sign everyone expect Franson, Santorelli, Cullen and Bourque
-Sign a 2/3 line winger/center. (Frolik who can play both positions)
-Maybe get a new backup goalie (not necessary) or at least try to go with Maz or Hellberg as backup.
-Try get rid of Nystrom somehow (doubt that will happen)

Not a very busy offseason but it's good to bring back nearly the same team since we made big changes last summer. We have a big offseason coming in 2016 so we don't need to do many changes this summer. Now send that list to Poile and he can start working on that.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Poile is such a dividing figure. I alternatively am furious and happy with him. For every good move (Forsberg), he makes a bad move (Franson trade). He has never been great at the deadline and empties the cupboard for marginal and useless assets. For all the talk about building chemistry and not disrupting the room, his meddling in the years we have had two of our best teams has killed the room.

He is very willing to move a first for a Brendan Witt, Paul Gaustad, Cody Franson, but we have never seen him pull the trade for a non-rental true top talent acquisition. I guess James Neal could qualify, but we had to move a forward that outproduced him in Nashville and in Pittsburgh .... so I'm going to count that a wash for now.

I truly do not understand how he has been unable to acquire a top line center in his entire time here in Nashville. For the backers, you can argue Arnott was that guy, and maybe Ribiero was last year. I think you can also argue that those guys are 1bs or #2 centers that are being miscast.

Anywho, it is not surprising that he states he isn't going to do anything. He always says that at some point. Even when he initially comes out claiming we need 2 top 6 wingers, by the start of the season, he is stating we have everything we need, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This team needs to resign Fisher/Ribiero. It still needs a top center. It still needs to remake the third line. We still need a viable backup. We probably need to evaluate the goalie coach position and special teams plan.

Just some thoughts / frustrations.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Poile is such a dividing figure. I alternatively am furious and happy with him. For every good move (Forsberg), he makes a bad move (Franson trade). He has never been great at the deadline and empties the cupboard for marginal and useless assets. For all the talk about building chemistry and not disrupting the room, his meddling in the years we have had two of our best teams has killed the room.

He is very willing to move a first for a Brendan Witt, Paul Gaustad, Cody Franson, but we have never seen him pull the trade for a non-rental true top talent acquisition. I guess James Neal could qualify, but we had to move a forward that outproduced him in Nashville and in Pittsburgh .... so I'm going to count that a wash for now.

I truly do not understand how he has been unable to acquire a top line center in his entire time here in Nashville. For the backers, you can argue Arnott was that guy, and maybe Ribiero was last year. I think you can also argue that those guys are 1bs or #2 centers that are being miscast.

Anywho, it is not surprising that he states he isn't going to do anything. He always says that at some point. Even when he initially comes out claiming we need 2 top 6 wingers, by the start of the season, he is stating we have everything we need, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This team needs to resign Fisher/Ribiero. It still needs a top center. It still needs to remake the third line. We still need a viable backup. We probably need to evaluate the goalie coach position and special teams plan.

Just some thoughts / frustrations.

I completely agree. I am of the opinion that a lot of the fanbase overrates him simply because he has been the only GM to run the team. I think his mistakes have far outweighed his successes, and if this happened in a larger market he would have been shown the door by now.
Look at some of his good moves - Forsberg doesn't happen if Erat doesn't come to Poile and demand a trade right then and there. Ribiero doesn't happen if he didn't reach out to Poile hat in hand practically begging for a shot to stay in the league.
Then you look all of his misses including Franson, Roy, Jokinen, Stalberg, Hendricks, Etc. Plus the abiltiy to draft much forward help over the years falls ultimately to him as well.
I understand that he also has to play with the hand he's dealt and players have to want to come here as well. But in my opinion this team will never see the Stanley Cup finals as long as Poile steers the ship.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
I don't see any reason to get rid of Vanderklok. Rinne was having a career season until his injury. Let's not forget the reason Hutton is in Nashville... Korn. Hutton was hand picked by Korn. Vanderklok has all the tricks Korn has, a few of his own techniques and is younger.

Special teams... Yeah, I got nothing.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I don't see any reason to get rid of Vanderklok. Rinne was having a career season until his injury. Let's not forget the reason Hutton is in Nashville... Korn. Hutton was hand picked by Korn. Vanderklok has all the tricks Korn has, a few of his own techniques and is younger.

Special teams... Yeah, I got nothing.

You may be right. Rinnes world championship performance had me scratching my head, and I have to say it makes it worth looking at.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I completely agree. I am of the opinion that a lot of the fanbase overrates him simply because he has been the only GM to run the team. I think his mistakes have far outweighed his successes, and if this happened in a larger market he would have been shown the door by now.
Look at some of his good moves - Forsberg doesn't happen if Erat doesn't come to Poile and demand a trade right then and there. Ribiero doesn't happen if he didn't reach out to Poile hat in hand practically begging for a shot to stay in the league.
Then you look all of his misses including Franson, Roy, Jokinen, Stalberg, Hendricks, Etc. Plus the abiltiy to draft much forward help over the years falls ultimately to him as well.
I understand that he also has to play with the hand he's dealt and players have to want to come here as well. But in my opinion this team will never see the Stanley Cup finals as long as Poile steers the ship.

Call me a cynic, but I find the likelihood of this happening with the current group of players to be rather low regardless of who the GM is. The last team to win a Cup with a #1 center not drafted (or initially signed...Andy MacDonald on the '07 Ducks had been an undrafted FA) by that team was the '94-'95 Devils (Neal Broten).

Even with an elite #1C (and correspondingly deducting Jones as the assumed cost), we are not definitively better on paper than the Hawks, Ducks, Kings, or Blues. Playoffs would still be a crapshoot at best.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

I think some of us, myself included, have a tendency to undervalue Ribeiro because he's not really a big name and at this point is borderline journeyman status. Is he a true #1C? No, and like you said maybe he's a 1b or a 2, but what we saw from him this season was pretty close to him at his best. He's one of the top UFAs this summer as it is. One could make the argument that he was one of the biggest veteran bargains we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad