The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We had a few threads like this, but not an all-compassing off-season thread. This will be a nice place to collect all of the rumors and speculation floating around and share what we want to happen.

My rankings of off-seasons I want to happen:

1. Trade Jones for a legit young #1C. Sign a 3rd line winger and 3rd pairing D. Trade the extra pieces for picks to restock the pool.
2. Trade Ellis+ for Eric Staal. Sign a 3rd line winger and two defensemen. Trade the extras.
3. Completely revamp the 3rd line through small trades or free agency. Bring in a depth defensemen, trade the extra pieces, and call it an off-season (most likely).

Free agent targets:

Centers:
Vermette
Mattias
Stoll
Hodgson (if bought out)
*trash*

Wingers:
St. Louis
Williams
Fleishmann
Erat
Glencross
Cole
Stewart
Stafford
Frolik
Ryder
Upshall
Ward
Bergenheim

Defensemen:
Green (overkill)
Mesaros
Z. Michalek
Ehrhoff
Hejda
Jackman
Salvador
Timonen
Petry
Lots of depth guys

Backup goalies:
Fasth
Gustavsson
Enroth
Neuvrith

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
You're overlooking the Tyler Toffolli Offer Sheet conundrum that the Kings' have put themselves in with Brown & Richards contracts & the bad ass known as Anze Kopitar becoming a UFA in the next year or so.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You're overlooking the Tyler Toffolli Offer Sheet conundrum that the Kings' have put themselves in with Brown & Richards contracts & the bad ass known as Anze Kopitar becoming a UFA in the next year or so.

Kings are in no conundrum. Toffoli will be their #1 priority. Lombardi will find a way to make it work, regardless of what else he has to discard. He is also the last GM I would want to piss off with an offer sheet.

Last edited:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Not having a 1st pretty much squashes an offer sheet of any magnitude for us, IMO.

Lots of fun targets though. Toffoli, Stepan, Connolly, Hagelin, Namestnikov, etc. are all in fairly tight cap situations

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Not having a 1st pretty much squashes an offer sheet of any magnitude for us, IMO.

Lots of fun targets though. Toffoli, Stepan, Connolly, Hagelin, Namestnikov, etc. are all in fairly tight cap situations
I made the same mistake a week or so ago. Remember, free agency period starts after the 2015 draft, meaning that it will require picks from the 2016 draft and on. As such, we would be able to make an offer. On the flip side, the few players that would truly be worth pursuing (e.g. Toffoli, Tarasenko, Stepan) are either going to be extended (most likely) or far too cost-prohibitive to make such a move worth it.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I made the same mistake a week or so ago. Remember, free agency period starts after the 2015 draft, meaning that it will require picks from the 2016 draft and on. As such, we would be able to make an offer. On the flip side, the few players that would truly be worth pursuing (e.g. Toffoli, Tarasenko, Stepan) are either going to be extended (most likely) or far too cost-prohibitive to make such a move worth it.

Right, good call. Interesting. Stepan is intriguing because NYR are cash strapped, in the East (less likely to match), and Brassard's emergence has made the loss more stomachable.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Out of those D-men, who are LHD?

I still like the idea of our 2nd, Watson and either Aberg or Sissons for Thornton.

Do that, add a LHD and roll. I am also rolling with Ribs an Fisher signing a 2 and 1 year deal Smith and Wilson resigning.

Would love opening night to be
Wilson-Thornton-Neal
Forsberg-Ribeiro-Smith
Moser-Fisher-Beck
Stalberg-Gaustad-Fiala(ease the kid in with 8-10 mins a night +PP
Jarnkrok

don't care what we get for Nystrom, Bourque, etc

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
The only #1C I could see Poile getting this summer is Eric Staal. Same age was Weber/Rinne, should be reasonably priced, somewhat likely to waive to NSH.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I have no interest in seeing us trade for Thornton, but I think Staal could potentially be a fantastic acquisition, depending on the asking price. If Carolina is looking to part ways, he could be had for much cheaper than a Nugent-Hopkins or Couture.

What's he owed this year 9.25? **** that noise

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
remember its not our money... and even a big number won't put us against the cap if its only for a couple of years.

will be interesting to see if Poile goes after an older center who will cost less in assets thus playing for our presumed 2-3 year window with Rinne and Weber both still in top form, or if he trades Jones or more for a long term solution at C (Coture, RNH)

ill say this, and its something we have never really been able to say before... we have wayyy too many forward prospects just sitting on the runway waiting for a spot to open up... there is zero chance that we will have slots for Aberg, Arvodsson, Watson, Sissons, Kamanev, Salomaki, and Moses (not to mention Vesey if he signs, and Fiala who is likelya lock for a spot) in the next couple of years.

a little depth is good but if some GM out there has a liking for a few of these guys I say use them to fill some needs

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If Poile decides to go after an older center, he can't give up Jones, so he has to give up Ellis + something and that something cannot be a large piece from the present or the future. Our prospect pool isn't that deep to give away players for older players and unfortunately we can't keep giving up high draft picks anymore. Also our core is rock-solid so I wouldn't wanna give up anything huge from there especially from our top 6. I would prefer Ellis or Jones for someone straight up so we wouldn't have to give up too much and come back to regret it in the future. Although i would be down with trading Ellis + something for Staal since he is the kinda guy who could realistically bring the Stanley Cup to Nashville. I would prefer Staal over Thornton just for the fact that Staal is a true leader who always excels his game in the playoffs, while Thornton is only decent in the postseason. But after that trade we would have to a bit more active in UFA markets this summer to replace those assets that we would lose in the trade.

My ideal trades would be:

Jones for RNH (may not happen now but maybe in 1-2yrs)
Jones for Couture
Jones for Duchene
Ellis + something (can't figure out what) for E.Staal

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
We can not continue to try to do the Detroy-it thing and throw away our 1st round picks, assuming we can get players to come to Nashville and contribute.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If Poile is truly happy with the roster as is he will make minor tweaks to the roster. Re-signing the obvious four is a priority: Fisher, Ribeiro, Smith and Wilson.

I hope he goes for some depth/size for the third line that will increase secondary scoring to lessen the burden on the top two lines. I don't know if Moses is the answer but if he is a good complimentary player that can chip in 15-20 goals that's a start. Add another guy in that mold with some size and grit and I think we can survive with three solid scoring lines and no true number 1 center. Poile went for this type of roster the year he signed Lombardi but a concussion pretty much killed that idea. I'd like to see what we could do with three solid scoring lines, especially with a developing Forsberg and Fiala.

NewfoundlandHab

Jul 14, 2014
Hey guys, Habs fan here, but I like your team and have been thinking about ways to get a young number 1 C.

Seth Jones for RNH seems to make lots of sense for both sides. EDM obviously needs D and has McDavid coming in plus Leon Draisaitl coming up too.

You guys re-sign Franson as your number 3 D and add a legit number 1 C.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
If Poile is truly happy with the roster as is he will make minor tweaks to the roster. Re-signing the obvious four is a priority: Fisher, Ribeiro, Smith and Wilson.

I hope he goes for some depth/size for the third line that will increase secondary scoring to lessen the burden on the top two lines. I don't know if Moses is the answer but if he is a good complimentary player that can chip in 15-20 goals that's a start. Add another guy in that mold with some size and grit and I think we can survive with three solid scoring lines and no true number 1 center. Poile went for this type of roster the year he signed Lombardi but a concussion pretty much killed that idea. I'd like to see what we could do with three solid scoring lines, especially with a developing Forsberg and Fiala.

We will see how he will do against NHL Defenses & NHL Goaltending, that's the rub at this point, we shall see.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Hey guys, Habs fan here, but I like your team and have been thinking about ways to get a young number 1 C.

Seth Jones for RNH seems to make lots of sense for both sides. EDM obviously needs D and has McDavid coming in plus Leon Draisaitl coming up too.

So what are Ekholm and/or Ellis ? Chopped Liver ? ... They both performed better than Franson when he showed up.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
The only #1C I could see Poile getting this summer is Eric Staal. Same age was Weber/Rinne, should be reasonably priced, somewhat likely to waive to NSH.

Agreed. I don't think Poile makes any major trades this summer, but if he does, this one makes the most sense. He could fill a need at center, played well for Lavy in the past, and in my mind would give Nashville a good look in regards to waiving. Staal-Ribs-Fisher wouldn't be the worst thing down the middle certainly.

But I don't buy 'reasonably priced'. He would become the highest cap-hit on the team.

The thing is, what would Carolina want for him? If the move him, they don't want a Stalberg back. They want good picks/prospects.

Here is a fairly recent article on Staal and his future with Carolina: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=762656

And for fun, War on ice just put out their salary data - it is a nice site: http://war-on-ice.com/cap/

Finally, wow do our group of forwards not make that much money. I had to scroll way down to find our highest-paid foward, Neal at 5 million per.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

You obviously did not see Franson play after he was traded if you think he even sniffs being the number 3 D here. He was hot garbage, Poile made a terrible trade, and some team will vastly overpay the guy this summer. Then I will laugh.

NewfoundlandHab

Jul 14, 2014
You obviously did not see Franson play after he was traded if you think he even sniffs being the number 3 D here. He was hot garbage, Poile made a terrible trade, and some team will vastly overpay the guy this summer. Then I will laugh.

I absolutely did not. Was just going by his play with the Leafs. Was not aware that he was that bad.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Anyone think Smith and a Dman could be moved for a #1 C? Then slide Fiala in with Fisher to protect him. I guess I'm asking if Smith + is enough to land the C we all want. It gives stability down the middle and allows the young skilled wingers (Fiala, Arvidsson, Aberg, Moses) a chance to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese