The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I think we could use a forward who can play both wing and center (Frolik, Soderberg or Eric Fehr?!). If we can't get those players, then go after players who have been very productive especially in the postseason (Ward, Vermette, Williams, Richards) We have to get one of those players. Overpaying will be the theme of this summer and we will have to overpay in order to get what we need.

Fehr is too fragile for the role he's expected to play, and I would seriously question the choice to play him as a center at any point. Richards will be 36 when the season starts; Williams will be 34 and is very injury-prone, and Ward will turn 35 in December. They're all going to want 3-4 year deals, and none of them are guaranteed to be as good as they were the last 2-3 years as they move into their mid/late 30s.

I could maybe be convinced that Ward is a good addition because he brings a much-needed net presence, but I'd like to see Nashville try something different.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So...I've been kicking around 2 different scenarios over the weekend.

Option 1) Dangle Seth Jones to a few certain teams. I believe that right now is as good a time as ever to bring in a #1C or top 10 NHL forward. Keeping both Jones & Ellis just doesn't seem feasible to me long term. One of them will have to be a 3rd pairing guy and neither should be. Jones has elite level potential and only 2 years in and Ellis has proven to be a solid PP Quarterback and a true 2nd pairing guy. He and Ekholm both have great chemistry and need to stay together.

Thus...I present discussion and options...

A.) COL (Duchene) - Probably very unlikely seeing as Colorado is in our division. But, I think it would intrigue them to have the #4 OVR pick and #1 OVR pick from the same draft; not to mention Seth is a hometown guy. They are looking for a LHD to play w/ EJ and Seth being RHD doesn't fit. But this could be too intriguing for the Avs to pass up.

B.) SJ (Couture or Thornton) - Couture makes the most sense between the two.Not sure if it could be a straight up deal though. For Thornton, I want a guy like Mirco Mueller coming back even if we have to add, which would be a no brainer. (We would!) But I'm not taking Thornton, a vet that may have 2-3 years left. I would want a young d-man coming back or picks. (the more I think about it - why trade Jones for Thornton if I'm going to ask for a defenseman back - might as well just keep jones if this is the only option.

C.) EDM (RNH) - This makes the most sense to me. Both young and equally of as much need to the acquiring team as the other. Edmonton needs a #1D/potential #1D and NSH needs their ever-elusive #1C. This seems like a "piece-of-cake" trade. On the other hand, Todd McClellan and Chia may just want to stick with the roster and see what it gets them under a much better coach than the team has seen in the past. But if Chia wants to shake things up and make noise early, this could be the right trade for him.

D.) TOR (Kessel) - We've heard Carolina and Florida are the leader in trade talk for Kessel but why not us again? Although not a center, this would give us a top 10 forward in the league. Toronto would be smart to trade an $8 million distraction for an elite level (potential) defenseman. Plus they'd have a young d-core of Jones, Reilly, and Gardiner to build around. This is a proposal that's been beaten like a dead horse but like the EDM proposal, I think it makes perfect sense.

Option 2 - You trade Ellis for a top 6 forward in a package. Yakupov? Maybe but...

Please discuss away.
Option 1C) (nice coincidental name there, btw ;) ) has been shot down repeatedly by Oil fans, because they don't want to rush McDavid immediately into #1C responsibilities - which is entirely fair and reasonable.

I'm kind of a fan of possibilities around Option #2, myself. But I'm sure folks already know what I'd propose there. :)

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
I'm wondering if adding Kessel wouldn't be a great idea for us. I'm assuming this has been discussed a ton so I apologize if I'm raising the dead horse to beat it down again.

I don't know a ton about him, other than he can snipe and has a reputation of being lazy (back checking, d-zone, etc). I've seen a few videos where he seems to have problems with the media as well. I wonder how much of that is playing for Toronto and being in that market? Is the guy just over scrutinized for being in such a large market or is he truly the cause of all of the negativity? Would a change of scenery, coaches, media market etc. help PK and in return help our team?

He's not a center so that doesn't solve that particular problem, but if Forsberg/ Wilson get decent time up the middle it could add an extra punch to our offense. Not sure what the cost would be to aquire him, but he would be an interesting addition for me and seems to be more available than the centers most want us to target (RNH, Duchene, etc).

The more I hear reasoning to not blow up our team the more it makes sense me. Id still like to add a big name to our offense though. Would PK81 work well here or should we stay as far away as possible?

JamestheSame

Apr 18, 2012
Here is a legit trade proposal:

To Nashville: Toews
To Chicago: Nystrom

To Nashville: Stamkos
To Tampa Bay: Carter Hutton

What do you guys think? :laugh:

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Any interest in Ole-Kristian Tollefsen? He's a left handed defenseman who's big, mean (borderline crazy) and physical. We've also been rumored to have interest in Tollefsen a couple times over the past few seasons. Jones or Ellis with Tollefsen could make for an interesting pairing.

SHL highlights (2nd song NSFW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqgyUTL00mI

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Any interest in Ole-Kristian Tollefsen? He's a left handed defenseman who's big, mean (borderline crazy) and physical. We've also been rumored to have interest in Tollefsen a couple times over the past few seasons. Jones or Ellis with Tollefsen could make for an interesting pairing.

Unless his game has changed radically in the last couple of years, he's so "mean" that he'll abandon his position to chase a hit, and he's not very good at finding the right place to be to begin with. No thanks.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

The Preds and Tollefsen had some conversations a couple of years ago, but talks broke down. I doubt they're interested now, though.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Come to think of it, Michael Frolik would be our best choice. He can move up and down the lineup and he can play both PP and PK. He can also play C/RW. Very versatile player. Also has a ring in his finger, and he isn't too old. Just a perfect fit for Nashville. Although his price may rise very high in the summer I think we should get him. 3-4yrs/3.5-5m for Michael Frolik.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Come to think of it, Michael Frolik would be our best choice. He can move up and down the lineup and he can play both PP and PK. He can also play C/RW. Very versatile player. Also has a ring in his finger, and he isn't too old. Just a perfect fit for Nashville. Although his price may rise very high in the summer I think we should get him. 3-4yrs/3.5-5m for Michael Frolik.

And where would he slot in and who would be out? Poile has said he intends to re-sign everyone but Santorelli/Franson/Volchenkov. Nothing personal, but this is what I do not understand about everyone talking about bringing in a forward. We don't have room unless we 1) make a trade, 2) buy out someone like Nystrom or 3) a re-signing fails.

The only real room we have is on defense where we look to have one slot open. This is one slot I am hoping that Poile does fill in FA and not through the farm (as he has suggested) as I do not want to see a Jones/Bartley or Jones/Bitetto pairing this next year.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
And where would he slot in and who would be out? Poile has said he intends to re-sign everyone but Santorelli/Franson/Volchenkov. Nothing personal, but this is what I do not understand about everyone talking about bringing in a forward. We don't have room unless we 1) make a trade, 2) buy out someone like Nystrom or 3) a re-signing fails.

The only real room we have is on defense where we look to have one slot open. This is one slot I am hoping that Poile does fill in FA and not through the farm (as he has suggested) as I do not want to see a Jones/Bartley or Jones/Bitetto pairing this next year.

Frolik would fit in nicely to our third-line to play center or right wing. Also there will be injuries during the season and he could replace our top guys if they get injured. Again, he is very versatile player and you can never have too many of those guys. What is your opinion on what our third-line should look next year? I agree that we have to fill that one spot in D.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I have to ask you guys: Are you on board with the Jones/Draisaitl trade, where we would get Drai and 2015 1st for Jones? Oil fans suggested that and I think we should truly consider that proposal.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Frolik would fit in nicely to our third-line to play center or right wing. Also there will be injuries during the season and he could replace our top guys if they get injured. Again, he is very versatile player and you can never have too many of those guys. What is your opinion on what our third-line should look next year? I agree that we have to fill that one spot in D.

I currently do not have much of an opinion on what it "should" look like because our current bottom 6 + extras are such a mess. If Poile is intent on keeping all but Santorelli, I just do not have a solution there. The one thing I do want is Nystrom gone, but that's not going to happen.

In regards to "there will be injuries" we need to have an open spot in order to sign him to begin with. Where does that spot come from? Moses filled Santorelli's spot, and if Cullen does not return as speculated, then that leaves his spot for the AHL'ers (including Fiala) to fight for. If we fill that with another FA, then we continue to add to the problem we have had for the past couple of years where we have a log jam in Milwaukee because we have signed too many FA's and there are no open roster spots in Nashville.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I have to ask you guys: Are you on board with the Jones/Draisaitl trade, where we would get Drai and 2015 1st for Jones? Oil fans suggested that and I think we should truly consider that proposal.

the 2015 1st rd pick as in 1st OVR? There's no way that is correct and Oil fans were on board, right?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I currently do not have much of an opinion on what it "should" look like because our current bottom 6 + extras are such a mess. If Poile is intent on keeping all but Santorelli, I just do not have a solution there. The one thing I do want is Nystrom gone, but that's not going to happen.

In regards to "there will be injuries" we need to have an open spot in order to sign him to begin with. Where does that spot come from? Moses filled Santorelli's spot, and if Cullen does not return as speculated, then that leaves his spot for the AHL'ers (including Fiala) to fight for. If we fill that with another FA, then we continue to add to the problem we have had for the past couple of years where we have a log jam in Milwaukee because we have signed too many FA's and there are no open roster spots in Nashville.

I may regret saying this but don't put on too much hope on Moses. He isn't gonna be a difference-maker or even a NHL'er. + Moses-Jarnkrok-Fiala is not a good third-line. Fiala-Jarnkrok-Frolik sounds a lot better.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I may regret saying this but don't put on too much hope on Moses. He isn't gonna be a difference-maker or even a NHL'er. + Moses-Jarnkrok-Fiala is not a good third-line. Fiala-Jarnkrok-Frolik sounds a lot better.

I wasn't looking at what sounds good, but what logically is going to happen now. With Poile's comments about wanting to re-sign everyone minus (Santorelli, Franson,and Volchenkov) + Cullen's high chance of not returning, that leaves 1-2 slots open at forward if everyone else is re-signed. Moses was already signed so he uses one of those already and he is not going to the AHL because Poile did not sign him to put him there. So having said that, everyone else is competing for that last spot which may not even exist if Cullen wants to return.

Something else to consider, the roster was full last year without Stalberg most of the year and he's going to be gunning hard to not be sent back down this year as well, it wasn't until Nystrom got hurt that Stalberg returned.

So for me I just do not understand where the actual roster spots are going to come from for FA forwards IF Poile follows through and re-signs who he is wanting to. We will have:

1. Forsberg
2. Neal
3. Ribeiro
4. Wilson
5. Fisher
6. Smith
7. Jarnkrok
8. Moses
9. Stalberg
10. Fiala - if he makes it
11. Nystrom
12. Bourque
13. Beck
14. Gaustad
15. Weber
16. Josi
17. Jones
18. Ellis
19. Ekholm
20. Bartley
21. AHL/FA Defenseman
22. Rinne
23. Hutton

And this is assuming Cullen is gone.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nope. I think Draisaitl tops out a good #2C, and will still take a few seasons to be ready to contribute in that role. If we're trading Jones now, we need to be making the team better now, not possibly in a few seasons. Draisaitl's value also seems to be absurdly high after he went back to juniors and beat up on inferior competition, to the point that I don't even see Oiler fans offering the #16 in such a proposal.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I wasn't looking at what sounds good, but what logically is going to happen now. With Poile's comments about wanting to re-sign everyone minus (Santorelli, Franson,and Volchenkov) + Cullen's high chance of not returning, that leaves 1-2 slots open at forward if everyone else is re-signed. Moses was already signed so he uses one of those already and he is not going to the AHL because Poile did not sign him to put him there. So having said that, everyone else is competing for that last spot which may not even exist if Cullen wants to return.

Something else to consider, the roster was full last year without Stalberg most of the year and he's going to be gunning hard to not be sent back down this year as well, it wasn't until Nystrom got hurt that Stalberg returned.

So for me I just do not understand where the actual roster spots are going to come from for FA forwards IF Poile follows through and re-signs who he is wanting to. We will have:

1. Forsberg
2. Neal
3. Ribeiro
4. Wilson
5. Fisher
6. Smith
7. Jarnkrok
8. Moses
9. Stalberg
11. Nystrom
12. Bourque
13. Beck
14. Gaustad
15. Weber
16. Josi
17. Jones
18. Ellis
19. Ekholm
20. Bartley
21. AHL/FA Defenseman
22. Rinne
23. Hutton

Oh okay, now I get it :D. So my idea of three-line scoring is basically out of the window. If our third-line next year is something like: Fiala-Jarnkrok-Moses, Moses-Jarnkrok-Stalberg, we ain't getting any further than this year. We need to have third-line working and scoring 'cause this season it didn't happen and it was a quick exit in the first round. I agree with you, I think we should try to get rid of Nystrom whether via trade or buy him out. Or the solution might be to keep Fiala in Milwaukee for next season. And one spot could open by not re-signing Bourque, I wouldn't bring him back, he doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

1. Forsberg
2. Neal
3. Ribeiro
4. Wilson
5. Fisher
6. Smith
7. Jarnkrok
8. Moses
9. Stalberg
11. Nystrom
12. Bourque
13. Beck
14. Gaustad
15. Weber
16. Josi
17. Jones
18. Ellis
19. Ekholm
20. Bartley
21. AHL/FA Defenseman
22. Rinne
23. Hutton

Yup. I know that people have their hopes up, but I just don't see where we're likely to bring in any new forwards barring a couple of trades. Several re-signs, Moses coming in, and several prospects that should at least be in the mix for a spot.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Oh okay, now I get it :D. So my idea of three-line scoring is basically out of the window. If our third-line next year is something like: Fiala-Jarnkrok-Moses, Moses-Jarnkrok-Stalberg, we ain't getting any further than this year. We need to have third-line working and scoring 'cause this season it didn't happen and it was a quick exit in the first round. I agree with you, I think we should try to get rid of Nystrom whether via trade or buy him out. Or the solution might be to keep Fiala in Milwaukee for next season. And one spot could open by not re-signing Bourque, I wouldn't bring him back, he doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have.
Those aren't exactly shutdown, defensive third lines you're posting there. I think it's pretty clear that they are going for more of an offensive third line, but are trying to develop it from within rather than bring in a UFA.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Do you guys really think that we should ride with Hutton as our backup? I honestly think that no. I think Rinne should play 55-60 games and Hutton just isn't a solid backup. When Rinne was injured everyone was so doubtful about Hutton, people started speculating on how many games we would lose with Hutton in the net, there is so much mistrust in Hutton that I think his time in the NHL should be over. We need someone who the team trusts. The team looked always different when Hutton was between the pipes. Every time Hutton was on the net I thought that we would lose. We need a backup goalie who can jump out to the net every time we need him and he can be trusted and he can give us a chance to win every night. A strong goalie-tandem goes a long way.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Those aren't exactly shutdown, defensive third lines you're posting there. I think it's pretty clear that they are going for more of an offensive third line, but are trying to develop it from within rather than bring in a UFA.

I think that especially the first line is a shot in the dark. Everything depends on how Fiala and Jarnkrok can develop their game and how Moses can compete in the NHL. I mean that if everything goes well that might be one of the most destructive third-lines in the NHL. If it doesn't pay out we have a very weak third-line and oh, it's December and it is too late to make changes then. Those lines have a huge potential but will it pay out? I'm eager to see.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Do you guys really think that we should ride with Hutton as our backup? I honestly think that no. I think Rinne should play 55-60 games and Hutton just isn't a solid backup. When Rinne was injured everyone was so doubtful about Hutton, people started speculating on how many games we would lose with Hutton in the net, there is so much mistrust in Hutton that I think his time in the NHL should be over. We need someone who the team trusts. The team looked always different when Hutton was between the pipes. Every time Hutton was on the net I thought that we would lose. We need a backup goalie who can jump out to the net every time we need him and he can be trusted and he can give us a chance to win every night. A strong goalie-tandem goes a long way.

If Rinne stays healthy, he's gonna play more than 50-60 games. Probably in the 60-70 range.

I like Carter but I wouldn't mind trying Hellberg and/or Mazanec as the backup and see how it goes. If one of them does well ,then I think they could trade Hutton away before the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad