The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Anyone think Smith and a Dman could be moved for a #1 C? Then slide Fiala in with Fisher to protect him. I guess I'm asking if Smith + is enough to land the C we all want. It gives stability down the middle and allows the young skilled wingers (Fiala, Arvidsson, Aberg, Moses) a chance to grow.

If that + with Smith is Jones, he could. Otherwise, it's not going to happen unless it is an older 1C that a team may be willing to just get any assets for (Thornton?).

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I absolutely did not. Was just going by his play with the Leafs. Was not aware that he was that bad.

Points Per Game: 0.58 w/TOR, 0.17 w/NAS.
Shots Per Game: 1.67 w/TOR, 1.52 w/NAS.
Offensive Point Shares/82 games: 4.3 w/TOR, 0.4 w/NAS.
Defensive Point Shares/82 games: 3.0 w/TOR, 2.5 w/NAS.
Total Point Shares/82 games: 7.3 w/TOR, 2.9 w/NAS.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Anyone think Smith and a Dman could be moved for a #1 C? Then slide Fiala in with Fisher to protect him. I guess I'm asking if Smith + is enough to land the C we all want. It gives stability down the middle and allows the young skilled wingers (Fiala, Arvidsson, Aberg, Moses) a chance to grow.

If we move a dman for a #1C it will be Jones, and if we want a really good young one like RNH we'd probably have to add Smith or Wilson(which would be fine by me)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The Poile presser pretty much confirms that nothing big will happen.

I don't think it was really expected that we were going to, was it? I mean, we had a team that most of us just wanted to see get back to the playoffs, and the team accelerated that timetable quite a bit, even if slipping back to earth in the end. I'm not sure how many big changes are all that necessary, especially with as many forwards as are in the mix. If we were going to move on a 1C, I also wouldn't expect Poile to come out and say as much.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I don't think it was really expected that we were going to, was it? I mean, we had a team that most of us just wanted to see get back to the playoffs, and the team accelerated that timetable quite a bit, even if slipping back to earth in the end. I'm not sure how many big changes are all that necessary, especially with as many forwards as are in the mix. If we were going to move on a 1C, I also wouldn't expect Poile to come out and say as much.

No, it wasn't, but today confirmed it. He sounds very content with this team. In the past, he has come right out and said that he's trying to acquire a top 6 forward or top 4 dman or whatever, but he seems content with the status quo.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the only thing he didn't leave out was a trade, but yeah usually if he is looking to do that he brings it up. Granted none of use saw the Neal trade coming last year either.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm going to be really disappointed and Poile stands put this offseason. Our forwards aren't good enough to compete in a seven game series with the big boys of the western conference. At the very least, we need to make a significant upgrade to the third line. Ideally, you get a number one center.

As previously mentioned, we have too many prospects who are withering away in MIL. We need to trade some of these guys to free up space and give the guys we want legitimate shots.

One last thing, I have zero cluw what Poile sees in Jarnkrok. Him saying Jarnie could develop into a top forward is the top six spaling debacle all over again. Jarnie doesn't have a shot. He doesn't have the offensive instincts to be a top six forward in this league.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am not excusing Poile but what options does he really have? Gave away our first for garbage again. Who is going to trade a #1C to us? No one. These days you draft them and Poile has not been in a position to do that. The FA market is weak and we really don't have room for anyone as it is. We are likely stuck with Nystrom and Stalberg (and their bad contracts) for another year.

I thought Alm had a good rookie camp. I think he got hurt in Milwaukee. But he might be serviceable on the third pair. I don't know which side he plays though. Bartley wasn't terrible either.

Poile has boxed himself in somewhat by trading our firsts several times and then a couple of trades that have been abject failures. Del Zotto and this latest one.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I am not excusing Poile but what options does he really have? Gave away our first for garbage again. Who is going to trade a #1C to us? No one. These days you draft them and Poile has not been in a position to do that. The FA market is weak and we really don't have room for anyone as it is. We are likely stuck with Nystrom and Stalberg (and their bad contracts) for another year.

I thought Alm had a good rookie camp. I think he got hurt in Milwaukee. But he might be serviceable on the third pair. I don't know which side he plays though. Bartley wasn't terrible either.

Poile has boxed himself in somewhat by trading our firsts several times and then a couple of trades that have been abject failures. Del Zotto and this latest one.

Our lack of a first doesn't really keep us from trading for a 1C. A 20something selection isn't going to be the driver of a trade for a 1C. You say nobody trades those, but nobody trades 1D either. Why, because it's almost unheard of to have a surplus of that kind of talent. But we actually do have a trade chip that could get a 1C in return. It will of course depend on whether Poile and whoever (Edm, SJ) both want it to happen, but to say not having our first is why it won't is , IMO, inaccurate

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm going to be really disappointed and Poile stands put this offseason. Our forwards aren't good enough to compete in a seven game series with the big boys of the western conference. At the very least, we need to make a significant upgrade to the third line. Ideally, you get a number one center.

As previously mentioned, we have too many prospects who are withering away in MIL. We need to trade some of these guys to free up space and give the guys we want legitimate shots.

One last thing, I have zero cluw what Poile sees in Jarnkrok. Him saying Jarnie could develop into a top forward is the top six spaling debacle all over again. Jarnie doesn't have a shot. He doesn't have the offensive instincts to be a top six forward in this league.
I don't know. How many other teams have "blown out" the Hawks this post-season? Our struggles came in the tight one-goal games, which other teams haven't had a great deal of success in vs the Hawks this post-season either. Minny is widely considered to have a much better top 6 than us and they looked anemic vs Chicago. We could definitely upgrade our group (and definitely need a younger top 6 center at some point), but I don't think it's such a need as to be disappointed if we don't.

I'd like to see us try to upgrade the third line from within. We have plenty of prospects, as you said, that are ready for a shot at the NHL level. I think we have the talent to fill that role, and enough of it that the competition from players fighting for a role should keep the player on their toes.

I'm not a big fan of Jarnkrok either, but this was his first full season in the NHL. If the front office and Lavy think he can be more than what he showed this season, I'm willing to give him more time than that to prove himself.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
The third line needs to be changed somehow. I'm fine with seeing what Moses/Avridsson/Fiala/Sissons/Watson can do, but I also think there are some compelling options in free agency. Free agency isn't the place to try to find a top line forward or anything, but there are plenty of good third liners floating around.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Can we just either make Watson a full time NHLer or trade him away already? I get that our system has changed but I don't think I can handle another year of him being some kind of "potential solution". Either he's good enough to be here or he's not. As they say, crap or get off the pot.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm glad we're standing pat, we don't need a change up for the sake of a change up. We need to fix our bottom six and get a third pairing defenseman I expect we do our best to do that. A number one center is a big piece we're missing, but sometimes it's just not available. Our team is young enough to deal with having Fisher and Riberio for another season and I think they have enough left in the tank to do that until one arrives.

I think even with minimal moves we can improve on this season just by having our young guys get more experience. I don't think we'll be a real cup contending team again this next year, but hey I could be wrong.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'd go after Belesky and Barrett Jackman. Adds some extra scoring punch/grit with Belesky and gives you the veteran gritty guy to play with Jones. It also weakens teams in the Western conference.

As much as I hope Fiala and Moses are good answers for our bottom 6, teaming them with Jarnkrok on the third line is a bad idea. Lots of speed and no size. Are they good enough offensively to make up for their lack of size?

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Can we just either make Watson a full time NHLer or trade him away already? I get that our system has changed but I don't think I can handle another year of him being some kind of "potential solution". Either he's good enough to be here or he's not. As they say, crap or get off the pot.

If I am not mistaken he has to make the team due to age or he can be claimed(someone correct me if I am wrong).

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I would love Beleskey, but we CAN'T give him more than three years. If we are stupid and sign him for 5 or 6, we will regret it. He's riding a career year and could easily regress in a big way.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I would love Beleskey, but we CAN'T give him more than three years. If we are stupid and sign him for 5 or 6, we will regret it. He's riding a career year and could easily regress in a big way.
He's not going to be worth the contract he's going to get. I've watched Beleskey for years. Hell of a wrist shot, plays with an edge, but low hockey IQ, mediocre on the defensive end, and can't create his own offense. Somebody is going to give him $4M+ for those 22 goals, and regret it greatly within a year or two.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He's not going to be worth the contract he's going to get. I've watched Beleskey for years. Hell of a wrist shot, plays with an edge, but low hockey IQ, mediocre on the defensive end, and can't create his own offense. Somebody is going to give him $4M+ for those 22 goals, and regret it greatly within a year or two.
To get anyone even remotely in demand in free agency that's what you have to do. Overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA